Top Tier FCS vs. The SWAC, Team and Facility Wise.

BRAVEHEART123

The Clown Prince of Crime
I have a very stupid question I have to ask.

So apparently the FCS Chmpion will get paid less than the SWAC Champion in the Celebration Bowl right?

We the SWAC have been playing money games for how long now? Shouldn't the money earned in those "money games" have resulted in overall better facilities by now?

But my main question is this: Even with this larger payout, why is it that we still struggle to beat top tier FCS teams? We should have the better facilities and amenities with all the money earned from those money games.....right?

No, the money from the money games is used to support the non-revenue generating sports required by Title IX as we strive to remain Div 1AA/FCS.
not actually true...good excuse but not true.. actually at most of our schools, they give us $400k in we must move everyone including the Band with the Money. We bring our Presidents, VPS, Entire Athletic staff to the game on that Cash. By time we done with paying expenses we clear 150k if that. Which then goes to a general Fund which is split a Million ways..

Last edited:
not actually true...good excuse but not true.. actually at most of our schools, they give us $400k in we must move everyone including the Band with the Money. We bring our Presidents, VPS, Entire Athletic staff to the game on that Cash. By time we done with paying expenses we clear 150k if that. Which then goes to a general Fund which is split a Million ways..

None of that stuff you wrote really matters........Our schools are subsidizing the athletic programs.

So apparently the FCS Chmpion will get paid less than the SWAC Champion in the Celebration Bowl right?

We the SWAC have been playing money games for how long now? Shouldn't the money earned in those "money games" have resulted in overall better facilities by now?

But my main question is this: Even with this larger payout, why is it that we still struggle to beat top tier FCS teams? We should have the better facilities and amenities with all the money earned from those money games.....right?
A lot of our schools have updated their facilities. We don't that make that much extra to match those pretend FCS schools that have 17,000 plus students and have budgets 3-4 times as large as ours. And in terms of competition, it has been said on here several times. Line play is the difference between our squads and the better FCS squads.

I don't think the FCS Champion will get paid anything close to what our conference will get besides expenses. And to think we don't even have to play all those games to reach that game to get paid.

Don't most FCS schools struggle to beat the Top Tier FCS schools? Not just us (although we don't really play many FCS schools).

alot of fcs school facilities are decent but not great....at least in texas that was the old excuse kids would give....It'll be interesting to see the shift now since some schools are going all in facility wise

In reality a lot of those contracts include a clause for the band. When we played AU a few years ago they financed the band trip and I think they are doing it again next year, so the band does not take away from the payout.

Keep believing that "body bag" games are not supplementing other programs.

Guarantee games have been another source of revenue for FCS institutions. In the past, Montana football has been able to attract some good “guarantee” money contests in the likes of Oregon ($450,000), Iowa ($650,000) and Tennessee ($500,000). Not as many of those are out there anymore for FCS teams, and the number could be less if other BCS conferences follow the recent lead of the Big 10 in no longer allowing their schools to schedule FCS opponents. Most believe the ACC, the Big 12, the SEC and the Pac 12 will be next, as strength-of-schedule will be heavily considered when the profitable new four-team FBS playoff becomes reality next year. That could hamper many schools, especially those at the FCS level who are already playing two “guarantee” games each fall to meet their budget requirements.

Source: http://www.makeitmissoula.com/2013/...t-financial-resources-stressing-fcs-programs/

At lot of these FCS teams play in front of 3-5 thounsand fans in Highschool Stadiums. ASU,JSU,BAMA A&M,ALCORN, Pine Bluff all have better facilties than a lot of these so call powerhouse FCS schools. What they do have is white water if better than black water and they can recruit from all players pools. Again players will play for them before any HBCU in most cases. Also they take care of the crap they have a lot better than we take care of the new stuff we get...

At lot of these FCS teams play in front of 3-5 thounsand fans in Highschool Stadiums. ASU,JSU,BAMA A&M,ALCORN, Pine Bluff all have better facilties than a lot of these so call powerhouse FCS schools. What they do have is white water if better than black water and they can recruit from all players pools. Again players will play for them before any HBCU in most cases. Also they take care of the crap they have a lot better than we take care of the new stuff we get...
Right, Grambling's Weight Room and Field House was is 14 Years Old, Pretty much New. Yet we can't Facilities to Clean up. Thats school wide. Don't know about anyone Else school but I recall Grambling Maintenance working 9am-5pm. When they can be more effective working 9pm-3am..

In Louisiana Northwestern State and McNeese have decent facilities for FCS schools, but Nicholls State and Southeastern don't.

Reactions: J C

The Big Sky, CAA and MVFC should be moved with the other G5 conferences, leave the FCS and those schools should created a Division one Sub-Division more appropriate for them. This would allow for a more level playing field. This is the equivalent of having AAAAAA schools competing on a AAA or AA level.

Last edited:
We need to do something, because we get blown out when we play them. So how do we fix the problems that we have so we can compete.

We need to do something, because we get blown out when we play them. So how do we fix the problems that we have so we can compete.
Get rid of this nine game mandate and play them more often like we used to and put more emphasis on winning those games conference-wide.
Heck, we can even put it in a coach's contract where they can get more bonus money for beating out of conference teams.

In Louisiana Northwestern State and McNeese have decent facilities for FCS schools, but Nicholls State and Southeastern don't.

When was the last time you been to SLU? They have some top of the line facilities now.

When was the last time you been to SLU? They have some top of the line facilities now.

I know I would take what SLU has over what we have at JSU...The only thing I dont like is that smalll 7k football stadium but the venue is still nice for their needs along with the luxury box area they have with it.. We need at 35 to 40k venue at JSU but thats another story...

HBCUs problem is like @97LEGEND said we do not take very good care of what we do have...

Do they?
Get rid of this nine game mandate and play them more often like we used to and put more emphasis on winning those games conference-wide.
Heck, we can even put it in a coach's contract where they can get more bonus money for beating out of conference teams.
Hmmm interesting.

I'm not going to call it a stupid question, but it is does baffle me that you would think that an increase in football revenue alone would some way cure all the budget challenges associated with running an athletic department.

I was primarily speaking of football facilities, but honestly both Northwestern State and Southeastern have facilities that are substandard for FCS schools. Northwestern State has a substandard basketball arena but a nice football stadium and Southeastern has a substandard football stadium but a nice basketball arena.

Back