Tinsley Advances to NCAA Finals

bluphiiijsu

Creative Director
6-9-2006

Despite a Bumpy Semi-Finals Race, Tinsley Advances to NCAA Finals
By Antonio R. Harvey
Special to JSU Athletic Media Relations

SACRAMENTO, Calif. - Michael Tinsley's performance in the 400-meter hurdles had a few miscues, but it was still good enough to put him in the finals on Saturday.

Tinsley clocked a time of 49.15 seconds in the semifinals of the event at the NCAA 2006 Track and Field Championships held at Sacramento State University. The junior from Jackson State University also won the first heat and garnished the best time of the day on what he called a "comedy of errors."

"It was a pretty good race but I had a bunch of errors," Tinsley said after the race. "I think I hit the fifth hurdle and stumbled forward. I regained my composure and stayed strong. And my steps were a little off coming down the home stretch, but I managed to get it together and finish pretty clean."

Polishing some areas is Tinsley's main concern heading into the finals that will take place at 1:02 p.m. (Pacific Time) on Saturday. Actually, the mistakes came at a good time according to Tinsley's assessment.

"I rather for it to happen today than tomorrow," he said of the errors. "I'll get a lot of the kinks worked out and hopefully be ready to roll."

Bryan Steele of Long Island won the second heat with a time of 49.19, and LSU's Isa Phillips finished with the third-best time overall at 49.36 to make it to the final round. Chris Carter (Brigham Young), Terry Thorton (Hampton), Rueben McCoy (Auburn), John Cassleman (Washington State) and Bryan Scott (Texas Tech) round out the field for the finals.

Tinsley best on Sac State's Hornet Field is 48.55, a mark that got him a third-place finish in last year's championship in Sacramento. A lot of things are on the line for the JSU student, including the chance to become the first male athlete from a Historical Black College and University (HBCU) to win an outdoor title, though the only thing on Tinsley's mind is to finish the race a winner.

"I feel real good going into (Saturday) picked to win," he said. "But I have to go all out hard, finish strong, and block out all of those other things. We all came out out here to race and anything can happen on any given day."

http://www.jsutigers.com/sports/indoor_track_m/193

http://www.flashresults.com/2006_Meets/outdoor/ncaa1/

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Congrats National Champion Micheal Tinsley... :tup:

Name Year School Finals Points
=======================================================================
Finals
1 Micheal Tinsley JR Jackson State 48.25 10
2 Bryan Steele SR Long Island 49.02 8
3 Chris Carter FR Brigham Young 49.19 6
4 Rueben McCoy SO Auburn 49.22 5
5 John Cassleman JR Washington State 49.55 4
6 Isa Phillips JR LSU 49.56 3
7 Terry Thornton JR Hampton 49.84 2
8 Bryan Scott JR Texas Tech 50.69 1
=============================================================================

Congratulations to Michael Tinsley... Way to handle your business..... Now go make that Nike money!!!!

One hell of a career for Tinsley and Jackson State. Thanks for showing your talent wearing that Blue Bengal bodysuit. Now continue to get better and never forget the SWAC!

Wow, he almost beat the 2nd place finisher by a whole second. :nod: :tup:

Congrats Tinsley and JSU. Way to represent for the SWAC.

From JSU Tigers website:

Academically, Tinsley is a senior and athletically his status is a junior. He must now make the tough decision of whether to return to JSU or turn pro.

"I think I have a chance to go professional," Tinsley said. "I might go and pursue that."

Tinsley said the estimated time of arrival - ETA - for his decision should be before the end of the month, possibly before the USA Outdoor Championships.

"Definitely before the USA Nationals," he said. "It will probably be in the next two or three days. I should get some calls, talked to some people, and find out what's really good."

Noise Talka, please note about Texas Southern's Paul Emordi:

By 1987, Emordi had won everything including his record at the All Africa Games in Kenya. He jumped 27 feet that was the Games record. Then he was the NCAA champion, jumping 27.3. At the first World Indoors in Indianapolis, he won a silver medal and another silver medal at World University Games

"I'm just so proud to wear Jackson State across my chest right now," Tinsley said in a cell phone interview. "It felt wonderful - like all the pressure was released once I went past the finish line."
And there it is!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Props for Michael Tinsley winning the National Champioship in the 400 Meter Hurdles. He represented the SWAC and HBCU Track and Field Runners well :tup: :tup: :tup:

Also props for Terry Thornton from Hampton for finishing 7th in the same race. :tup:

That race was a great day for HBCU Runners for have two runners in the finals of the same race. :tup:

Tinsley is World Class and he will be in the Olympics in two years. Possibly the top 400 Meter Hurdles Runner in the U.S. also. :tup: :tup:

Devil's Gun Trigger Man said:
P.S. TXSU whatever happened to that girl ya'll had that was winning everything? I think her name was Tremedia or something like that.

Tremedia Brice is still competing but trying a new coach that can specialize and focus strictly on her now. Still with Reebok.

Back