The SWAC Office Should Ban SWAC Teams from Scheduling Each Other OOC in the 7-Game Mandate.

Permanent Opponents (this is gonna piss some folk off) should consider costs such that the Tx and Alabama schools are not permanent opponents. That being said, which Mississippi school is closest for PV and TxSU. Some of my GSU fans ain't gonna like this, but here's my suggestion.

GSU plays AAMU
PVU plays Alcorn
TxSU plays Jackson
SU plays Bama State
UAPB plays Valley

Play certain teams only in even or odd number years as follows:

Grambling: Even Years: Valley Odd Years: Bama State
PV: Even Years: JSU Odd Years: AAMU
TxSU: Even Years: Alcorn Odd Years: Bama State
SU: Even Years: AAMU Odd Years: Valley
UAPB: Even years: Alcorn Odd years: Jackson

Alcorn isn't a big rival for Grambling.... stop spreading that lie ! SU is the only school Grambling views as a rival!

I would disagree. The Shreveport game used to be the opening game for GSU and Alcorn each year. Now that Alcorn is back to winning there is a good rivalry there and truth be told I think we should revisit playing Alcorn in Shreveport at the beginning of the year.

Permanent Opponents (this is gonna piss some folk off) should consider costs such that the Tx and Alabama schools are not permanent opponents. That being said, which Mississippi school is closest for PV and TxSU. Some of my GSU fans ain't gonna like this, but here's my suggestion.

GSU plays AAMU
PVU plays Alcorn
TxSU plays Jackson
SU plays Bama State
UAPB plays Valley

Play certain teams only in even or odd number years as follows:

Grambling: Even Years: Valley Odd Years: Bama State
PV: Even Years: JSU Odd Years: AAMU
TxSU: Even Years: Alcorn Odd Years: Bama State
SU: Even Years: AAMU Odd Years: Valley
UAPB: Even years: Alcorn Odd years: Jackson

Actually that does not piss me off given that larger conferences do the same thing. The key is this 7 game mandate puts pressure on schools to schedule opponents which in my opinion is a good thing. If your school is incapable of 2 additional FCS opponents and the other OOC opponents are D-II schools....then maybe that school should be D-II and leave the SWAC.

I would disagree. The Shreveport game used to be the opening game for GSU and Alcorn each year. Now that Alcorn is back to winning there is a good rivalry there and truth be told I think we should revisit playing Alcorn in Shreveport at the beginning of the year.

Only people that see Alcorn as a rival are those that keep bringing up the game in Shreveport that ended over 20 years ago, Alcorn like JSU are meant to be on campus. Playing a SWAC team in Shreveport is a waste of a game

The problem with that in the swac is lets face it. the swac is uneven. In the SEC for example, almost every SEC game is gonna be a sellout for the major schools it the team is in any way winning. In the SWAC you have SU-JSU, SU-Alcorn, Grambling-JSU, Alcorn that are close to each other and are MAJOR DRAWS. The texas and Alabama Schools are a long way away and not a draw, so you have have to choose between what looks good on paper to stat people and what makes money and your fans enjoy the most. BOTTOM LINE: for example, SU-ALCORN in Lorman, I am there no matter what, load up the busses and RV's, SU-AAMU, oh well, SWAC probably won't get a dollar of my money that weekend.

I'm so glad some of y'all don't have anything to do with Division I athletics!

@Fiyah Didn't I/we break down how an 8-game slate would rotate like months ago? Folks outchea making this rocket science when it's actually coloring.

Remember folks, we have four DIVISIONAL games and five INTERDIVISIONAL games..

with an 8-game conference slate, ONE team drops off the schedule for ONE year, then it rotates to the other until it completely cycles through.

So for Jackson State — for the sake of argument — it would go like this if you had to drop a West team annually for an 8-game slate:
2017: Grambling
2018: Southern
2019: Prairie View
2020: Arkansas-Pine Bluff
2021: Texas Southern

Last edited:
7 game mandate is real people. find 4 teams that are not affiliated with the swac to schedule. don't want to hear about filling your stadium... that's between you and your AD. if you can't do it, its because your team sucks eggs and even your fans don't want to see them play. that's the truth. when alcorn was great, mcnair, torrence small, and john theirry on the sidelines we could play port gibson high school and the stadium was full. it wasn't full because we were playing southern (it was full then too) but it was full because alcorn was playing. when valley had rice and totten the stadium was full because valley was playing. the key is not who is on your schedule. they key is the quality of your team. if you have a great team with great players, your fans will come and fill your building. if your team sucks eggs, then your fans (like most) will vote with their feet. the weak 2nd choice is who you have on your schedule, i.e. we suck so its about who we are playing. so you're looking for conference well fare. sorry, the swac needs to close down that office.
bama state can be a mess a lot of the times, but a least melvin hines did his job. he's gotten his 4 year deal with tuskegee. he got a 4 year home and home with kennesaw state and got his money games with auburn, utsa, south alabama, & troy? with i'm sure uab a possibility once they think they can beat bama state. its not hard if your not scared to go out and compete and if your willing to do the work of marketing your program until it becomes good enough that it markets itself. if jsu gets a handful of special players, memorial will be full again as long as the tigers are playing. but make no mistake about it; if your team is ordinary the casual fan of your school, or football period is not coming and you'll be sitting in the stands alone (if your a diehard) or on your couch (if your less committed) wishing you were playing southern this weekend. lol.

exactly, past tense! Grambling has a 25 game lead over Alcorn, and have beat them 2 straight years. We got excited after beating a ranked team in 2014 and winning their homecoming in 2015, besides that nobody gets excited about playing alcorn.

So, who's excited about Grambling? I'll wait for that answer too.

Back