The role of the HBCU in a globalized world

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
I was thinking about this today. A few months back I posted about the deal that the White House Initiatives on HBCU's Office was pushing through with the Brazilian Government to educate many of their afro-brazilian students. Grambling had cut a deal with some Caribbean nations before Jindal killed them also.

I couldn't help but think could HBCU's could really become epicenters for historically depressed populations in developing countries around the world. Could serve the Black South Africans, etc...

I was thinking about this today. A few months back I posted about the deal that the White House Initiatives on HBCU's Office was pushing through with the Brazilian Government to educate many of their afro-brazilian students. Grambling had cut a deal with some Caribbean nations before Jindal killed them also.

I couldn't help but think could HBCU's could really become epicenters for historically depressed populations in developing countries around the world. Could serve the Black South Africans, etc...

I think that's a GREAT idea!!! I really do. HBCUs could do that but that have to make that push. Getting a Brazilian connection going would be ideal b/c of the great economic growth that is going on there. HBCUs likely would have to make something like this happen without state government financial help but that may be possible with all the money that is coming and will be coming out of Brazil.

I think that's a GREAT idea!!! I really do. HBCUs could do that but that have to make that push. Getting a Brazilian connection going would be ideal b/c of the great economic growth that is going on there. HBCUs likely would have to make something like this happen without state government financial help but that may be possible with all the money that is coming and will be coming out of Brazil.

The Brazilian Government is funding 100,000, full-scholarships for students to study abroad.

Already in the process of being implemented at Texas Southern:

The President of South Africa, His Excellency Jacob G. Zuma, was in Houston on Friday, September 23, to announce a new educational partnership amongst CAMAC, International; Texas Southern University, University of Houston, and the Jacob G. Zuma RDP Educational Trust. The new partnership will support South African students coming to Houston to study at TSU for business and at UH for engineering. The program will begin in January 2012 with 3 students enrolling at Texas Southern and UH.

Founders Day at Texas Southern University celebrates the university’s earliest beginnings in 1927. Keynote speaker for the celebration this year was Dr. John S. Wilson, Jr., Executive Director of the White House Initiative on Historically Black Colleges and Universities.
http://www.tsu.edu/About/Administra...mmunications/News_Reel/tsufoundersdayzuma.php

Last edited:
I know Morgan's doing it. It's a wonderful effort to hear of. The only sad part is the timing (late).

Back