THE NEXT NFL COMMISSIONER SHOULD BE .....?

Butch Wms. said:
Why doesn't Gene Washington's name never come up when conversations turn to who will succeed Paul Tagliabue? Is he a lawyer?

Mostly because the frontrunner is Taglibue's second in command who has been in the NFL front office for more than 20 years and everyone seems to like him.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
ESPN Radio is reporting the Florida Governer Jeb Bush has been contacted by the league if he is interested.

^^^^^^^^^^^^^
I was wondering if that was true or just a rumor.

Guess it's true...............OH Lawd.
Ya'll think they call the NFL the No Fun League now....................Let them give it to him.:p

There have been reports that Tony Dungy's name has come up according to some NFL folks. Since Tags is going to extend his retirement more than likely through the season, maybe Dungy would consider it if he doesn't win at Indy this year. The door of opportunity is closing fast on them anyway. He would be a class guy to have that job.

Jeb Bush.........YUCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

C-LeB28 said:
ESPN Radio is reporting the Florida Governer Jeb Bush has been contacted by the league if he is interested.

Jeb Bush?? Well there goes football.

JR,

I hadn't heard about Tony Dungy but I like him and now would be the time to play the sympathy card since his son just died,if he's interested.

Butch Wms. said:
JR,

I hadn't heard about Tony Dungy but I like him and now would be the time to play the sympathy card since his son just died,if he's interested.

Some ESPN analysts were talking about it a few weeks ago. There was also mention here in Minneapolis about it. He is an alum of the University of Minnesota. These folks up here love Dungy....plus he was the DC for the Vikings under Denny Green before he took the Tampa job. I don't know how serious that rumor is, since no more has been said, but I would imagine he still wants to coach and win a Super Bowl. He is still a relatively young coach. But I would love to see him in that role. Otherwise these folks here want him to come to the U of Minnesota in some capacity.

dacontinent said:
Mostly because the frontrunner is Taglibue's second in command who has been in the NFL front office for more than 20 years and everyone seems to like him.

Do you really think that? I dont believe that is what it is at all. You know there is no way in hades that they will let a brother run the NFL. Majority of the owners are from the good ole boy league. IMHO

Croft84 said:
Do you really think that? I dont believe that is what it is at all. You know there is no way in hades that they will let a brother run the NFL. Majority of the owners are from the good ole boy league. IMHO

I think they would let the right brother run the league. Actually the owners are changing. Remember ole Ralph Wilson of the Bills said these new younger owners are going to ruin the league for settling the contract issues with the Union before a strike would take place. LOL. I still laugh at his comments.

I think they would do that more than have a bunch of black head coaches in the league. Now don't get me wrong. I know there are the good ole boy owners who would not like that. But somebody with the demeanor of a Dungy could be put in there. He is not a threatening type or radical black man. He is by the book. So I can see that. Heck even ole Condi would get a shot if she wants to persue it.

JR said:
I think they would let the right brother run the league. Actually the owners are changing. Remember ole Ralph Wilson of the Bills said these new younger owners are going to ruin the league for settling the contract issues with the Union before a strike would take place. LOL. I still laugh at his comments.

I think they would do that more than have a bunch of black head coaches in the league. Now don't get me wrong. I know there are the good ole boy owners who would not like that. But somebody with the demeanor of a Dungy could be put in there. He is not a threatening type or radical black man. He is by the book. So I can see that. Heck even ole Condi would get a shot if she wants to persue it.

OK I will take your word for it but you want see it happen in the next 15 years. It is no way Condi regardless if she suppose to be such a big football fan will be comm. :smash:

Croft84 said:
OK I will take your word for it but you want see it happen in the next 15 years. It is no way Condi regardless if she suppose to be such a big football fan will be comm. :smash:

LOL. Remember men like women. Some of those cats would vote her in. She is non threatening in their minds.

Seriously whoever replaces Tags has some big shoes to fill. He was the best sports league commissioner by far. The NFL is a far better product than MLB, the NBA and Hockey all combined. So whoever takes over inherits a robust and highly marketable product. Tags will be missed. It is hard to believe that the NFL will have lighting strike a third time. Rozelle did a great job and Tags took it to another level. Maybe he can help Stern or Selig straighten out their leagues.

JR said:
LOL. Remember men like women. Some of those cats would vote her in. She is non threatening in their minds.

Seriously whoever replaces Tags has some big shoes to fill. He was the best sports league commissioner by far. The NFL is a far better product than MLB, the NBA and Hockey all combined. So whoever takes over inherits a robust and highly marketable product. Tags will be missed. It is hard to believe that the NFL will have lighting strike a third time. Rozelle did a great job and Tags took it to another level. Maybe he can help Stern or Selig straighten out their leagues.

How much farther do you think the league will go? Or better yet how much farther it needs to go? For the reason you say it will be hard not to get someone in there that will threatening their mind set. In order to go farther it need to be someone in the position that will demand respect. They are not going to be able to walk on egg shells to make the league move farther. I believe that is one reason why the owners had him to postpone retirement.
Now for Selig he really need to leave. He is a comm. with an owner mentality. He has not gotten rid of the owner syndrome yet. NBA needs a change bad. Now I know that Stern has done a great job with the league, but when he started getting paid that big benjamins he started slacking up.

Back