The Biggest HBCU Sporting Event kicks off today: CIAA Tournament 2015...

I have no issue with the concerts and ancillary stuff going on but the draw has to be the game(s). I see one small blurb about the tournament and nine paragraphs about the concerts/parties.

CIAA tickets are expensive and sell out an NBA arena every year... It's tough to get single game tickets.. Most buy full tournament tickets.

Now I see why there is a saying "Thank God for Mississippi. As long as Sippi exist, no state will finish last in education". The CIAA tournament is only second to the ACC. Man I know yall country, but someday yall gotta realize the world is bigger then your country towns.

The CIAA Tournament is a unique event. Has been for generations. As it progresses (and all HBCU events progress), getting the younger generations to buy in is key. The old heads, they're pretty much locked in.

I hope that the CIAA Tournament, and all HBCU events, continue to be strong.

It Has gotten Hood Now.... When they had the regular day Parties and Events for College Grads and Undergrads it was cool... But you have to understand thats how everything works... Start off Nice, draw attention bring more of the ideal crowd, then someone invites a Nig Nig to the event, Then the Nig Nigs Start coming to the Late night events, then they take Over....... Ask the Essences Fest, Bayou Classic, Now the CIAA, Your Favorite Club, etc.
When Chris Rock said it was a difference from Black folk and Nig Nig he was lying..

Now I see why there is a saying "Thank God for Mississippi. As long as Sippi exist, no state will finish last in education". The CIAA tournament is only second to the ACC. Man I know yall country, but someday yall gotta realize the world is bigger then your country towns.

like CEE said... the ACC tournament is the only tournament larger than the CIAA...... not SEC... not Big East.

DaHill,

The Big East as we knew it no longer exists. The Big 10 (with 14 teams) tournament is a somewhat new entity, along with the Pac 12's tournament.

In this case, the CIAA Tournament has been the surviving outlier in this round of conference realignment and TV deals.

DaHill,

The Big East as we knew it no longer exists. The Big 10 (with 14 teams) tournament is a somewhat new entity, along with the Pac 12's tournament.

In this case, the CIAA Tournament has been the surviving outlier in this round of conference realignment and TV deals.

I agree. Until Butler or Villanova wins a national title, the Big East will be on the level of a CAA with VCU, etc. Those rivalries with the new schools have to be built (plus the Big East will make sure to not add the wrong schools with football teams who wanna bolt like last time. Butler has a team I believe but they're still FCS like Villanova, Georgetown, etc.)

The same with the Big Ten although they are usually guaranteed a Final Four team every year with the high level they play at.

The CIAA has consistency going for them. It is (or was) a hidden jewel that was only known in HBCU land until everyone started coming and started making money off it ala Essence. I keep on saying the SWAC needs to get to that level but do we want it to get there (Houston is a more attractive location but do we really want brands like 97.9 making money off us and not giving back?).

DaHill,

This was the case before realignment was ever thought of.

According to the Charlotte Regional Visitors Authority (CRVA), the 2012 CIAA Tournament accounted for a total economic impact of $50.5 million* over the seven-day Tournament period; a 14 percent increase from 2011. Overall attendance for official CIAA and Uptown functions increased to over 197,000** as multiple event options attracted more attendees to the area. The Tournament is one-of-a-kind in its ability to lure loyal fans from across the country that continuously support the Conference, and appeal to those who just want to be “a part of the experience” – much like the Superbowl or NBA All-Star Weekend.
The CIAA Tournament ticket revenue reached $1.9 million; maintaining the momentum through its loyal fan base that view Tournament week as an absolute must-attend annual event.

I will tell you the economic impact of the SWAC basketball tournament isnt nowhere close to 50 million... and ticket revenue isnt anywhere close to 1.9 million.

Dayum,
I can't believe all the hate I see in here. The CIAA is not my thing but they found something that works.

I agree. Until Butler or Villanova wins a national title, the Big East will be on the level of a CAA with VCU, etc. Those rivalries with the new schools have to be built (plus the Big East will make sure to not add the wrong schools with football teams who wanna bolt like last time. Butler has a team I believe but they're still FCS like Villanova, Georgetown, etc.)

The same with the Big Ten although they are usually guaranteed a Final Four team every year with the high level they play at.

The CIAA has consistency going for them. It is (or was) a hidden jewel that was only known in HBCU land until everyone started coming and started making money off it ala Essence. I keep on saying the SWAC needs to get to that level but do we want it to get there (Houston is a more attractive location but do we really want brands like 97.9 making money off us and not giving back?).

The Big East now are all of the Catholic schools left over from the exodus to the other Power 5 conferences, plus Xavier, Creighton and Butler (the only non-Catholic university). Now all those schools that have football programs are FCS programs.

However, the CIAA Tournament WAS NOT a bigger draw than the old Big East Tournament (in Madison Square Garden) when you had the "old Big East (Syracuse, UConn, Pitt and other football schools)". The CIAA Tournament just might be on the heels of the current Big East Tournament, which still is held in MSG (as part of the deal the Catholic 7 members of the old Big East had when the other football schools left).

To me, the current Big East is a wealthy mid-major. So in a few years, I think the CIAA will eclipse that tournament.

I'm not trying to knock the CIAA Tournament. Hell, my boss got 40 dropped on him by Earl Monroe in college.

According to the NCAA... http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2014.pdf

The 2014 ACC Men's Tournament had 7 sessions, averaging 20,020 for 140,140 total attendance
The 2014 Big 10 Men's Tournament had 6 sessions, averaging 18,571 for 111,426 total attendance
The 2014 SEC Men's Tournament had 7 sessions, averaging 14,620 for 102,340 total attendance
the 2014 Big 12 Men's Tournament had 5 sessions, averaging 18,999 for 94,995 total attendance
The 2014 "New Big East" Men's Tournament had 5 sessions, averaging 14,556 for 72,780 total attendance

Bear in mind that the Big 10 started having a conference basketball tournament in 1998.

Last edited:
Is the CIAA getting the crossover dollar or is it more of the hiphop generation?

The Big East now are all of the Catholic schools left over from the exodus to the other Power 5 conferences, plus Xavier, Creighton and Butler (the only non-Catholic university). Now all those schools that have football programs are FCS programs.

However, the CIAA Tournament WAS NOT a bigger draw than the old Big East Tournament (in Madison Square Garden) when you had the "old Big East (Syracuse, UConn, Pitt and other football schools)". The CIAA Tournament just might be on the heels of the current Big East Tournament, which still is held in MSG (as part of the deal the Catholic 7 members of the old Big East had when the other football schools left).

To me, the current Big East is a wealthy mid-major. So in a few years, I think the CIAA will eclipse that tournament.

I'm not trying to knock the CIAA Tournament. Hell, my boss got 40 dropped on him by Earl Monroe in college.

According to the NCAA... http://fs.ncaa.org/Docs/stats/m_basketball_RB/Reports/attend/2014.pdf

The 2014 ACC Men's Tournament had 7 sessions, averaging 20,020 for 140,140 total attendance
The 2014 Big 10 Men's Tournament had 6 sessions, averaging 18,571 for 111,426 total attendance
The 2014 SEC Men's Tournament had 7 sessions, averaging 14,620 for 102,340 total attendance
the 2014 Big 12 Men's Tournament had 5 sessions, averaging 18,999 for 94,995 total attendance
The 2014 "New Big East" Men's Tournament had 5 sessions, averaging 14,556 for 72,780 total attendance

Bear in mind that the Big 10 started having a conference basketball tournament in 1998.

Back