The Alcorn vs. Valley Rivalry.

BRAVEHEART123

The Clown Prince of Crime
I'm surprised this game hasn't picked up in intensity the last five years. I expect it to increase within the next few years. Now that Valley has gotten over the JSU Hump, they now know they can compete in the SWAC East. Noticeably, Alcorn has actually lost a few games to Valley over the past decade. Comegy vs. Hopson will be something to behold.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I'm surprised this game hasn't picked up in intensity the last five years. I expect it to increase within the next few years. Now that Valley has gotten over the JSU Hump, they now know they can compete in the SWAC East. Noticeably, Alcorn has actually lost a few games to Valley over the past decade. Comegy vs. Hopson will be something to behold.
Alcorn and Valley are definitely the two best SWAC teams in Mississippi.

Alcorn and Valley are definitely the two best SWAC teams in Mississippi.

2444256-8233831785-78793.gif

What's the difference in the Gameday atmosohere when it's held at valley vs when it's held at Alcorn? Is it pretty consistent?

The last time I can remember an electric game atmosphere at a MVSU/Alcorn AT Valley was 2006. Aries threw that pass and we all KNEW it was an INT the moment it left his hand lol. That was the last year Valley was over .500 overall (we did finish 5-4 in the SWAC in 2012). The last game I went to MVSU/Alcorn at Lorman was a good crowd but it wasn't like some of the pics I've saw of JSU/Alcorn or even SU/Alcorn.

Both teams have to be good to get back to that level. When Valley was decent in 2012, Hopson was terrible his first year. 2 years later, Alcorn got the rings and Comegy is rebuilding/restocking Valley. Hopefully this year with an improved line and Q with a year under his belt, we won't have a 52-9 repeat like last year but the Valley team that showed up in Jackson or against Grambling.

We still can hold on to the attendance record for a few more years until Ole Miss expands and they get the record

Comegy is NOT rebuilding at no Valley. He is simply waiting on his day to leave.

Also, no matter how you slice it, Alcorn and Valley only care about beating JSU. Those two can give a rats azz about each other. The last time the Alcorn vs Valley ticket was hot was in 1991 and in 1994 and BOTH of those feed off the JSU-Valley game. In 1991, Valley came to Jackson and beat JSU and the next week in Alcorn was off the meter! It eas McNair's first year and Valley rolled deep and almost got the W. In 1994, Valley came to Jackson and upset JSU. The next week, Valley moved their game vs Alcorn to Jackson because they knew they could not hold the crowd since Valley was hype off the JSU win...and McNair was a senior. Alcorn tore that azz out frame tho..

Since then? Really?

Comegy is NOT rebuilding at no Valley. He is simply waiting on his day to leave.

Also, no matter how you slice it, Alcorn and Valley only care about beating JSU. Those two can give a rats azz about each other. The last time the Alcorn vs Valley ticket was hot was in 1991 and in 1994 and BOTH of those feed off the JSU-Valley game. In 1991, Valley came to Jackson and beat JSU and the next week in Alcorn was off the meter! It eas McNair's first year and Valley rolled deep and almost got the W. In 1994, Valley came to Jackson and upset JSU. The next week, Valley moved their game vs Alcorn to Jackson because they knew they could not hold the crowd since Valley was hype off the JSU win...and McNair was a senior. Alcorn tore that azz out frame tho..

Since then? Really?
-

So the BamaState cat can get banned but we pretend like we don't see like these from him and some of those other Lynch Street people..

Alcorn vs. Valley will indeed be interesting. Can Comegy's recruiting catch up to the Hopson Machine? I hope it gets more intense.

For JSU, it would not surprise me if Alabama State at the very least challenged SU as JSU's top rival in the next few years. Again, there is a bit of history with Alabama State vs. JSU. You have Homecoming 2001 and the The Fight 2014. Not to mention the dynamic of Jenkins. Alcorn vs. Valley and JSU vs. Alabama State have the potential to increase in intensity out of all other underrated SWAC Matchups I can think of.

Clarification: By underrated SWAC Matchups, I mean those SWAC Matchups that have had their moments but really have not gained the intensity of say a JSU vs. SU, SU vs. FAMU, Alcorn vs. SU, Grambling vs. Alcorn, etc.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Alcorn vs. Valley will indeed be interesting. Can Comegy's recruiting catch up to the Hopson Machine? I hope it gets more intense.

For JSU, it would not surprise me if Alabama State at the very least challenged SU as JSU's top rival in the next few years. Again, there is a bit of history with Alabama State vs. JSU. You have Homecoming 2001 and the The Fight 2014. Not to mention the dynamic of Jenkins. Alcorn vs. Valley and JSU vs. Alabama State have the potential to increase in intensity out of all other underrated SWAC Matchups I can think of.

Clarification: By underrated SWAC Matchups, I mean those SWAC Matchups that have had their moments but really have not gained the intensity of say a JSU vs. SU, SU vs. FAMU, Alcorn vs. SU, Grambling vs. Alcorn, etc.

Valley had not had a fan base since 1994. It's gonna be hard to build a rivalry when your fans don't believe in you. SU will remain JSUs top rival. However, with Alcorn making some noise, that rivalry might get interesting again. The BAMA State-JSU rivalry has been building for years. That started to gain traction in the early 2000s and in the last 6-8 years, the EAST has pretty much came thru Jackson or Montgomery. ...and, despite the fact that they always get whooped, they continuously want to fight us.

The BAMA State-JSU rivalry has been building for years. That started to gain traction in the early 2000s and in the last 6-8 years, the EAST has pretty much came thru Jackson or Montgomery. ...and, despite the fact that they always get whooped, they continuously want to fight us.
smh
ASU 9
Jsu 6

but I digress....

how far/close is Valley and Alcorn?

Tigerpride I don't agree with you about much but in this case I do. There is no Alcorn/Valley rivarly. Valley probably has a better rivalry with UAPB. I say we have a natural rivalry with JSU to the north and SU to the south.

Back