The 100 Most Affordable Universities in America 2015

BG

Jackson State University
Jackson, Mississippi

Website
Jackson State University offers much more than just a cheap college education. For less than you’d pay for a new car, you can tap into a wealth of resources and events at JSU, including the Center for Service and Community Engaged Learning; the Center for Student Engagement and Inclusion; and numerous competitive sports. When it comes to academics, you’ll choose from more than 90 degree programs at the bachelor’s and graduate degree levels, including doctoral programs. The student-to-faculty ratio is just 15:1, ensuring that students build close relationships with professors and classmates as they work to understand behavioral and environmental studies, rehabilitation counseling, civil and environmental engineering, communicative disorders, and more.

Net Price: $10,385
Student Body: 9,134

http://www.bestvalueschools.com/most-affordable-universities-america-2015/

Jackson State University
Jackson, Mississippi

Website
Jackson State University offers much more than just a cheap college education. For less than you’d pay for a new car, you can tap into a wealth of resources and events at JSU, including the Center for Service and Community Engaged Learning; the Center for Student Engagement and Inclusion; and numerous competitive sports. When it comes to academics, you’ll choose from more than 90 degree programs at the bachelor’s and graduate degree levels, including doctoral programs. The student-to-faculty ratio is just 15:1, ensuring that students build close relationships with professors and classmates as they work to understand behavioral and environmental studies, rehabilitation counseling, civil and environmental engineering, communicative disorders, and more.

Net Price: $10,385
Student Body: 9,134

http://www.bestvalueschools.com/most-affordable-universities-america-2015/
Good Stuff! JSU needs to really market itself on a national level in the major cities. Well all HBCU's should be doing that anyway.

Prairie View A&M University comes in at #46 and Jackson State University comes in at #94.
These are the only 2 Swac schools ranked in this poll.

To get you started, we came up with a list of the 100 most affordable universities in the country. Now to clarify, we know that technically any size school can call itself a “university,” but for our purposes we chose to focus exclusively on schools of moderate to large size; in other words, colleges with 4,000 students or more (if you’re looking for an affordable small college, we have another ranking just for you!).

So how did we come up with such a list? Our first step was to create a database of every single institution of higher education in the United States. From this list of nearly 2,700 colleges, we then eliminated community colleges, graduate schools, and specialty schools (for example, seminaries or pre-professional schools that would appeal only to a small subset of applicants). As our focus was on traditional four-year colleges, we also eliminated schools that don’t admit first-time undergraduates. This dropped our list of candidates to about 1,900, at which point we collected data on student enrollment. Motivated by our “small college” ranking, which used 4,000 students as a cut-off point, we sorted the remaining schools to show only those universities with enrollment north of 4,000. This left us with approximately 650 colleges to consider for our ranking.

Finally, we ranked colleges based on their “net price,” a figure that in many cases is more accurate than reporting tuition rates alone. These figures come from College Navigator, a government-run data website that determines net price:

See entire poll

I even see Standford on the list. Why aren't more SWAC schools on the list? Are we out pricing ourselves? That maybe why some of our enrollment numbers are dropping.

I even see Standford on the list. Why aren't more SWAC schools on the list? Are we out pricing ourselves? That maybe why some of our enrollment numbers are dropping.

They have some schools in the small college category.

#17 Mississippi Valley State
#52 Alcorn State

Good Stuff! JSU needs to really market itself on a national level in the major cities. Well all HBCU's should be doing that anyway.
I agree, I always said that Jsu should take a few millions and really sell itself in non traditional cities and watch how people become aware of the university. I thought when Dr. Myers came in she would have done that but her first and remaining focus seem to be within the state. Which has been successful. Jsu is slated to become third largest university in Mississippi by 2021. So imagine if we could just do a national JSU launch of the university especially with how they are expanding the online degrees and courses.

We are forced to do it in Louisiana to offset budget cuts. Thankfully Jindal is on his way out.

I agree, I always said that Jsu should take a few millions and really sell itself in non traditional cities and watch how people become aware of the university. .

This is why i think it is so stupid when people talk down about classics. That's free advertising! JSU has an alumni chapter here in Philly and we have some good years and then we have some lean years but as long as TP is in Philly, there will be a chapter because that allows me to go out and market the University to those who have never heard of JSU. If I have to do college fairs by myself, I go. #JSU4ever

Back