SWAC Freshman contributors for 2016

2kool

Which incoming freshman might make an impact this season?

I'll name 2 (and a possible) from AAMU

OL Courtland Walker
RB Adrian Portlock
DE Dante Jamison

Last edited:

How is SU looking at ILB? I could see Kyle McGregor getting in the rotation.

Kentavious Preston returns for his junior season, and the initial depth chart has him as the starter at the mike LB. It's going to be interesting to see how the depth chart fleshes out in a few weeks. I think there are a handful of true freshman LBs (McGregor included) that could work themselves into the rotation.

Valley

Keep an eye on Christian Sutton (WR), Darrell Landry (RB/KR), Thompkins (DB) and Daekwon Moultrie (DL).

Assuming they all show up:

Jordan Johnson - ATH*
Cedric Triplett - LB
Ricky Scott Jr - LB
Terrell Kennedy - RB*
Terry Sullivan - RB*
Ryan Theyard - DB
Joshua Miller - DB*
Eric Brown - DT
Eddie Maxon - OL
Kennan Young - WR*

If any freshman should play and contribute on the team those would be my picks. Especially the LBs since we are graduating a few after this year.

Assuming they all show up:

Jordan Johnson - ATH*
Cedric Triplett - LB
Ricky Scott Jr - LB
Terrell Kennedy - RB*
Terry Sullivan - RB*
Ryan Theyard - DB
Joshua Miller - DB*
Eric Brown - DT
Eddie Maxon - OL
Kennan Young - WR*

If any freshman should play and contribute on the team those would be my picks. Especially the LBs since we are graduating a few after this year.

Terrell Kennedy was the truth in HS.

Kentavious Preston returns for his junior season, and the initial depth chart has him as the starter at the mike LB. It's going to be interesting to see how the depth chart fleshes out in a few weeks. I think there are a handful of true freshman LBs (McGregor included) that could work themselves into the rotation.
Demetrius Carter also returns at lb.

IMO, for Southern ...

DL's Dakavion Champion and Lee Castille: One, or both, of those big boys could figure to get some run in the middle of Southern's new 4-man fronts.
the RBs (Profit, Mims, Benn, Harris): The come-after-Tillery sweepstakes is going to be fun to watch in fall camp as the depth chart fills out. I think Mims or Benn could also help in the return game along with Curtlan Williams from Lab

K/P Antonio Estrada ... for obvious reasons

We loaded up at RB & OL. Signed 6 OL (5 frosh + 1 JUCO) and 5 RBs. The JC OL will probably play as well as a FR. I also wouldn't be surprised if Chris Carter gets in the DL rotation

Juice Parker - CB
Dawonya Tucker - KR/RB
Caleb Broach - RB

That should be it for us. We're pretty stacked with returners and upperclassmen on the 2-deep in most positions so the rest of the FR will redshirt.

Terrell Kennedy was the truth in HS.
I really liked his film. Looks like he could even be a good WR if we have to move him there. I think he is already our best RB in 3rd and Long situations.

These are the only freshmen I can see playing significant minutes this season:

Terrell Kennedy- RB
Terry Sullivan- RB
Josh Miller- FS/ Nickel/ Return Spec.
Tenoa Alex- CB
*Leroy Roddy- DT (Still not sure how we'll use our D-Linemen in Hendrick's schemes. But we need consistency there.)
*Charles Anderson- DL

Played at Northeast High. Don't really know him, but I know his dad well lol. Hope he qualifies or has qualified.
He's been on campus all summer. Still doesn't mean he's made it through the Clearinghouse, but it's a good sign. There were only two guys who we feared might not make it academically and he wasn't one of them.

He's been on campus all summer. Still doesn't mean he's made it through the Clearinghouse, but it's a good sign. There were only two guys who we feared might not make it academically and he wasn't one of them.
That's great. He can ball for damn sure. Went to 3-4 of his games.

Yeah, I read somewhere that he has been a starter since like the 8th Grade. LOL. I take it he comes from a smaller school?
His school was 2A, same school Doug Williams went to. Well it was named Chaneville when Doug went lol. School size don't mean anything in Louisiana. A couple of times in the boot, a 1A team with all of their players playing both ways, beat the 5A Champion during the regular season.

Besides RB and maybe LB you will have to be really special to get on the field at SU this season as a freshman.

So, does that mean we're set on the Defensive Line --- especially the interior positions? If so, cool. Just hope they have some size. 250lb NT/DTs don't sound like the necessary ingredient for success.

Back