SU facilities out of compliance

My high school just built a Center, onto the High School where we have a College of (engineering, health, etc). We can 2 years of College credits done in high school

Screenshot_2016-02-23-09-46-13-1.png Screenshot_2016-02-23-09-46-07-1.png

I know, but I was trying to make folks understand, KIDS NOW COME FROM SCHOOLS WITH TOP NOTCH athletic and academic facilities.

One good thing, SU dorms are 110% better than the dorms I stayed in, but they won't be like that for long if maintenance is not kept up. At least one of SU's top programs (Engineering) has a fairly new facility.

Last edited:
One good thing, SU dorms are 110% better than the dorms I stayed in, but they won't like that for long if maintenance is not kept up.

LOL...GSU's also. Man I remember I would go by some of my boys dorm room and it was 5 mofo in one room. One cat had a bed in the middle of the room. No desk. No closets. These cats built a closet around the room. I remember once they paid my dad and two of his friends to build it so they can take it down at the end of each semester. Funny story....their door was unlocked once and I walked in and all them cats hitting some puddin. Room smelled like ass!!!! LMAO!!!

Exactly, SU needs most of its buildings torn down. Stop all this half ass renovations..everytime I see anything from.the state.. money wise to SU.. it's always fixing a roof or patch work.... ,, JUST demolish the damn building... I get sick.and tried of the state throwing chump change at million dollar problems.. THIS IS STR8 NEGLECT.

I have said it before SU needs to seek a higher court, because it's REALLY sad IN 2016 to have buildings like that.., I mean from the College of science, social science, business, all of those buildings need to be demolish

He'll SUNO WILL HAVE BETTER facilities then SUBR.

PLEASE,, YOU SOUND STUPID, SU BUILDING ARE NOT EVEN UP TO CODE FOR RESEARCH, PLUS GO LOOK AT YOUTUBE POSTING OF BOARD MEETING, SU BUILDING ARE IN deteriorating shape.. no maintenance can fix that.. college professor point out that SU LOSES MILLIONS OF DOLLARS DUE TO THE FACILITIES ON SU CAMPUS, SU HAS BEEN PATCHING UP ROOFS FOR OVER 2O YEARS ENOUGH IS ENOUGH, , we are in the business of research and education..... any smart fool knows, the more you do patch work to million dollar problems, the more expensive the problem will be in the long run.. WHY SPEND 10 MILLION TO renovate the College science building, when you could just build a new one,, and 10 million is far to low for the issues in that building. ..

And go till the maintenance crew what you just posted, you even have board members saying the staff is over worked...

Wow!!!!!
~sips more tea~

It's sad, but blame goes all around ..
1. SU
2. BOARD OF REGENT
3. STATE OF LOUISIANA

I say the Board of Regents because the state give them a sum.of money for projects, Public Universities send a request list to the BOR,,the BOR prioritizes the request, Its no secret where SU and GSU fall on the list. .

Many of our school's are in the same shape. We all need help in this area. Unfortunately Southern white conservatives are holding us back on purpose.

That's why no one school can bash the other because we are all in the same boat (no pun intended). Some might be worse than others but we're all in the same boat.

The main upgrades Valley needs are dorms (1 is being repaired, 3 are left (closed). Can't be remodeled as some have suggested because of.asbestos) and a new Union (the plans are out there. Just waiting on the money). When the state is throwing you scraps here and there (while cutting your budget year by year) while Ole Miss and MSU stay getting renovations you already know the deal

That's why no one school can bash the other because we are all in the same boat (no pun intended). Some might be worse than others but we're all in the same boat.

The main upgrades Valley needs are dorms (1 is being repaired, 3 are left (closed). Can't be remodeled as some have suggested because of.asbestos) and a new Union (the plans are out there. Just waiting on the money). When the state is throwing you scraps here and there (while cutting your budget year by year) while Ole Miss and MSU stay getting renovations you already know the deal
I disagree

Why you guys always want to include other schools in your negatives and over-generalizations by saying "all of us are in the same boat". How do you know this if you haven't taken a survey of each school? That's it, you don't know. You're just guessing.

Why you guys always want to include other schools in your negatives and over-generalizations by saying "all of us are in the same boat". How do you know this if you haven't taken a survey of each school? That's it, you don't know. You're just guessing.

Now you know all HBCUs have made some progress in some areas in recent years, but nothing earth shattering compared to what really needs to be done. Some schools are still packing students into old outdated dormitories like sardines, which IMO is a health and safety issue since the dorms were probably built to accommodate a smaller number of students. I bet that's not the case at MSU and Ole Miss.

As I said in the post above, many HBCUS are better off then others ,, but the point I have been trying to make is look at Mississippi, when the State actually had a surplus, they actually did try to improve facilities at the three HBCUS, with new facilities, ,, look at Alabama same can be said, but again the state of Louisiana was not always in a decline in revenue, and when the state actually had money to do things for SU ,, all SU GOT WAS MONEY TO REPAIR ROOFS ETC, but not a dime to actually do what was right and that is build new facilities that are much needed, I COULD UNDERSTAND WANTING NEW FACILITIES, BUT IT'S A DIFFERENCE WHEN YOU NEED IT.. I think that is where the gap is for me, with Louisiana, stop throwing pennies at million dollar problems. . Yes we got a field house, but he'll SU has been asking for that for 20 years, the intramural sports building was paid mostly by federal money.. but yet academic buildings falling in disrepair. Even in the state of decline of SC State they receive much needed money for two new academic buildings, band room and housing. .INSTEAD OF PATCH WORK TO KEEP THE BUILDING FROM FALLING IN...BIG DIFFERENCE.

And as the article in the Advocate pointed out.
SUBR requested 22 miliion dollars, only 4 million was given to the University, all the money was spent on leaking roofs, mold problems, because of the leaking roofs, and sewage backup, and road repairs. .

The Baton Rouge campus alone, not the System the Baton Rouge Campus is $111 million in backlog projects Can we say Neglect, $111 million worth of request was here long before Jindal. Jindal just added to the problem.

I agree buddy...... I posted a message on Twitter saying something similar last night . I thanked God for allowing JSU to be in such good times right now. Enrollment up, endowment up, along with the addition of some more things.

False. Some are disposable while others have been voted statewide to exist forever, for the most part.

PVAMU is constitutionally required to exist if all others in tx close their doors. Along w/ ut-austin and txa&m-b/cs. That's why we're flying high(er) again.

Well all.land grant colleges are protected, SU, PVAM, FAMU ,NCAT, etc. Consolidation is another option, but closing will never happen because of protection of being a land grant college

Back