Steven Adams apologizes for 'quick little monkeys' comment

Rated R Superstar

OAKLAND — Oklahoma City Thunder center Steven Adams apologized for his postgame comment that so many found offensive in the wake of a Game 1 win in the Western Conference Finals.

Adams, a 22-year-old New Zealander of Tongan and British descent who had 16 points and 12 rebounds in the 108-102 win over the defending champion Golden State Warriors, described the Warriors’ guards as “quick little monkeys” in a postgame interview with ESPN’s Chris Broussard.

“It was just a poor choice of words, mate,” Adams told USA TODAY Sports. “I wasn’t thinking straight. I didn’t know it was going to upset anyone, but I’m truly sorry. It was just a poor choice of words. I was just trying to express how difficult it was chasing those guys around."

http://www.usatoday.com/story/sport...der-golden-state-warriors-game-1/84477378/I'm

I don't think there was any malice in his comments. Besides, if he thought the warriors guards were little monkeys,
then I wonder what his opinions are of OKC's Russell Westbrook? I imagine it would be an animal of a similar nature????

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I don't think there was any malice in his comments. Besides, if he thought the warriors guards were little monkeys,
then I wonder what his opinions are of OKC's Russell Westbrook? I imagine it would be an animal of a similar nature????

I agree. Would it have been different if he said chickens? Hell Russell Westbrook looks like a skrimma goat.

Out of the abundance of the heart, the mouth speaketh.
Dude simply slipped up and said what was in his heart, especially in light of New Zealand's terrible racist history toward natives.
It's no different than what White folks did and are doing to Black folks in the U.S..
To refer to grown Black men as little monkeys is not an accident, it's probably the norm where he's from.

Last edited:
Have Steve Nash or John Stockton ever been called monkies?
I doubt it, but then again, neither of them were as fast as the guards in question.
I still believe it was just a poor choice of words. Dude stated such, and has apologized.

This is just my opinion, but far too often, we get caught up on what someone calls us, or what someone thinks of us.
I am reminded of an acronym by one of my favorites from this board, @Vinita (wassup grammar Nazi)...IDGAF

It's not what we are called....it's what we answer to!

Words have meaning and power regardless. It should be addressed regardless or it'll get worse.

Words have meaning and power regardless. It should be addressed regardless or it'll get worse.

Understood, and I can appreciate what you are saying, but what are they going to do, fine him?
And as far as it getting worse....it was much worse in the 50s and 60s and in the former days.

I think we need to forgive him, but I'm glad he got called out for it. He needs to know that it isn't acceptable, and the rest of White America who think their in the clear, need to be reminded lol.

I doubt it, but then again, neither of them were as fast as the guards in question.
I still believe it was just a poor choice of words. Dude stated such, and has apologized.

This is just my opinion, but far too often, we get caught up on what someone calls us, or what someone thinks of us.
I am reminded of an acronym by one of my favorites from this board, @Vinita (wassup grammar Nazi)...IDGAF

It's not what we are called....it's what we answer to!

So, there's a "monkey speed"? From the quoted phrase in the thread title he used the word "quick", so what was the purpose of "little monkeys" other than to describe their physical appearance?

He is not American, he apologized, next topic!
So every non-American has free reign to call Black folks monkeys? Heck, he's been in the U.S. five years, so he should know better by now.
Dude even said he needs to learn the boundaries, meaning what he can say and what he can't. Seems like it's okay for that kind of language where he's from.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Back