Southern waiving out of state fees for incoming freshmen

SUjagTILLiDIE

Southern offering new out-of-state fee waiver for incoming freshmen
Michelle McCalope
Dec 19, 2014 12:55 PM
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - In an effort to be more competitive, Southern University will be waiving out of state fees for all incoming freshmen who qualify starting in the Fall of 2015.

To qualify, students must have a minimum GPA of 2.7 and a composite ACT score of 20 among other things.

http://m.wafb.com/wafb/db_345758/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ijtMrOsq

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
This is a good way to attract top students. Schools like the University of West Virginia waives out of state fees if a student comes from a state that doesn't offer certain programs, such as if a student from Virginia wants to attend the University of West Virginia in Petroleum Engineering. That student's out of state fees would be waived since there no such program at schools in the State of Virginia. I met a White woman in the Giants Supermarket that told me her son picked the University of West Virginia because of that reason.

Ole Miss does it too for Texas students. They know that helps their enrollment.

I know SU waived out-of-state fees for students who made 22 & above on the ACT (my oldest) qualified, but this is even better! Good stuff SU!

Didn't MVSU drop out-of-state fees for incoming freshmen a couple of years ago too? I thought I read somewhere that they did.

Ole Miss does it too for Texas students. They know that helps their enrollment.

We need to develop our own Petroleum Engineering program and stop our students from cross registering with LSU for that program. We already have the 3 primary Engineering programs (Civil, Electrical, and Mechanical). Petroleum Engineering could probably start out of the Mechanical and Civil Engineering programs. We could waive a lot of out-of-state student fees for students from states like Virginia for that program and recruit heavy as a HBCU with a Petroleum Engineering program. Although they really don't do their own drillings, we have a lot engineers that are hired by Exxon-Mobil and other petroleum refinery companies. Petroleum Engineering is a good program to recruit students, because not many States offer that program at their universities and colleges. Right now, Louisiana have two schools that offer that program, LSU and ULL. ULL has an advantage since it is in the city (Lafayette, LA) where a lot of offshore drilling companies have their headquarters. I get the strange feeling as LSUA grow, which is the school in my hometown, they will probably offer Petroleum Engineering. I've heard that after they get their business school started, engineering would be next. HBCUs need to stay ahead of the game for their survival.

Last edited:
Southern offering new out-of-state fee waiver for incoming freshmen
Michelle McCalope
Dec 19, 2014 12:55 PM
BATON ROUGE, LA (WAFB) - In an effort to be more competitive, Southern University will be waiving out of state fees for all incoming freshmen who qualify starting in the Fall of 2015.

To qualify, students must have a minimum GPA of 2.7 and a composite ACT score of 20 among other things.

http://m.wafb.com/wafb/db_345758/contentdetail.htm?contentguid=ijtMrOsq

Southern had no choice but to waive the fees, the university is on life support!

Jindal shut this down at Grambling didn't he?

I believe Grambling was waiving fees without any qualifying merits attached. Basically, they were waiving fees for anybody. Fee waiving is a means of recruiting students with high academics. You just can't waive anyone's fees.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
There was an assortment of reasons one being legacy which is a common criteria in higher ed admission standards. There also was some for participation in certain extracurricular activities. It was never baseless.

There was an assortment of reasons one being legacy which is a common criteria in higher ed admission standards. There also was some for participation in certain extracurricular activities. It was never baseless.

Did those assortment of things get the approval of Louisiana Board of Regents?

Nope... The UL System approves the rules not the Board of Regents which has approved some but not all. The rule changes came 10+ years ago when the UL Board came up with a more standardized policy for all of its institutions.

Last edited:
Nope... The UL System approves the rules not the Board of Regents which has approved some but not all. The rule changes came 10+ years ago when the UL Board came up with a more standardized policy for all of its institutions.

That's probably why it was shut down. But Jindal is over the Board of Regents which is over the three university systems (SU, LSU, and UL).

I believe Grambling was waiving fees without any qualifying merits attached. Basically, they were waiving fees for anybody. Fee waiving is a means of recruiting students with high academics. You just can't waive anyone's fees.

Not true....I know that if your parent is an alum they will waive the out of state. My sister's God son had his waived as well as my SHIP's daughter.

Gram peeps,
Word in the higher community was that yall gave a few too many waivers out and it raised eyebrows. Yall were giving those Caribbean students fee waivers as well.

That is a separate time frame from the one I was referring to earlier. I know who was given that one out.

Back