Southern to play host to All-Star games this week

bluedog

"Leader of Kings"
The first change in venue for the Coca-Cola Louisiana High School Coaches Association's All-Star week in 19 years has proceeded smoothly so far.
Because of ongoing renovations at LSU's Tiger Stadium and Pete Maravich Assembly Center, the three-game event has shifted to Southern University.

Although a novice at hosting the event, Southern is prepared to host games in volleyball, basketball and football -- becoming the second school other than LSU to do so.

The University of Southwestern Louisiana (now UL-Lafayette) served as host for six years until LSU lured the games to Baton Rouge in 1986. The only other time Tiger Stadium failed to host the football game
Read the story

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Jafus (Thinker) said:

ATTENTION JAGUAR WOMEN'S HOOPS TEAMS FANS....

Two members of SU's 2005 recruiting class will be teammates during Thursday's all-star game at 6 p.m. at the Minidome...

Amite's Deidra Jackson (5-9 guard) and Sierra Bush (5-11 forward) from Lakeview-Campti (Coach's Pugh's old high school) will be on the West squad. Bush will attend SU on an academic scholarship....

In football does anyone know if SU has any signees playing in the All-Star game............... :headphone

17259_256.jpg

Marcus Green of the East was named Most Outstanding Player on offense in his team's 21-14 victory in the Coca Cola/LHSCA All-Star game Friday.

Green shines for East

By scoring two of the game's three fourth-quarter touchdowns, the East came away with a 21-14 victory over the West in the 68th Coca-Cola/Louisiana High School Coaches Association All-Star football game on Friday night.
It was the first East victory since 2002, and the East now leads the series 39-27-2. The East also scored its most points since 1992 thanks to Marcus Green of Bastrop and withstood a late rally with help from Keithshone Dantzler of Brother Martin-New Orleans.

Green, an Ole Miss signee, was voted the game's Outstanding Player on offense after finishing with 197 total yards. That total featured 146 return yards, including the decisive 61-yard punt return for a touchdown in the fourth quarter.

Dantzler, a Southeastern Louisiana University signee, had a game-high 14 tackles, including four for loss and was voted the Outstanding Player on defense. The game attracted 3,176 fans to Southern University's A.W. Mumford Stadium.

"That guy's a tremendous athlete," East coach Butch Stoker of Alexandria said about Green. "He's a difference maker and he certainly made a difference for us tonight."

17260_256.jpg

Former St. Amant standout Brian Babin completed 5 of 9 passes for 81 yards and two touchdowns to help the East defeat the West 21-14 in the Louisiana High School Coaches Association All-Star Game Friday night at Southern University's A.W. Mumford Stadium.

Fun-filled game for players

The headaches that seemed to plague the Louisiana High School Coaches Association's All-Star game earlier in the week because of the uncertainty over personnel were resolved by game's end.
The 68th renewal of the All-Star game at Southern's A.W. Mumford Stadium featured its share of offensive prowess, hard-hitting defensive moments, a special teams highlight and -- best of all -- a tense late-game finish.

"I wanted to be a part of it,'' East running back Marcus Green of Bastrop, an Ole Miss signee. "I came out here and had a whole lot of fun. I had fun with the players and the coaches. I'm glad I came.''

The inclusion of Green, an Ole Miss signee, may have been the exception rather than the norm, but the game managed to produce a rousing conclusion by recent standards in the East's 21-14 victory over the West.

"It was a lot of fun,'' East quarterback Brian Babin of St. Amant said. "I'm going out a winner. That's the best way to go.''

SOUTHERN UNIVERSITY, women's basketball signees, Deidra Jackson and Sierra Bush had excellent games. Jackson finished with 20 points and Bush had 15 points and a team -high 10 rebounds. Next season the swac is really in trouble. :nod:

Back