Slater endorses SWAC schools

EB

Sept. 4, 2001, 8:41PM

Slater endorses SWAC schools

By RICHARD DEAN

Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Hard work and a good background made Jackie Slater the man he is and the football player he was.

After 20 years on the offensive line for the Rams, Slater was enshrined last month in the Pro Football Hall of Fame at Canton, Ohio.

Slater has never forgotten his roots in the Southwestern Athletic Conference.

"Jackson State was a training ground for life for me," he said.

And a good one. Slater was selected to seven Pro Bowls.

Last week, Slater was the guest speaker for a Touchdown Club luncheon saluting Texas Southern and Prairie View A&M prior to their Labor Day Classic.

His message was simple. Underdogs can survive.

Slater acknowledged that determination and his experience at Jackson State prepared him for the NFL. In 1976, Jackson played in the last football game matching the college all-stars against the defending NFL champions, in this case the Pittsburgh Steelers.

Slater said he had something to prove that week during practice.

"When I got there, I was third-string left tackle," he said. "I was also third-string left guard, third-string right tackle and third-string right guard. And I probably would have been last at center if someone had broken their leg."

Slater told the audience that while the SWAC may not receive the national recognition other conferences do, it was -- and is -- a great conference. Slater encouraged high school players to consider attending a SWAC school.

"I'm the only player in NFL history to play 20 years for one team, and I went to Jackson State," said Slater. "Walter Payton is the all-time leading rusher in the NFL, and he went to Jackson State. Jerry Rice is the all-time leading receiver in the NFL, and he went to Mississippi Valley State.

"The SWAC is an underdog, but being an underdog can be a good thing."

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
The SWAC Headquaters should take that last paragraph and let that be a slogan for the year. How can you get any better publicity than that as a conference. It should really run as a 'tag' line on all SWAC Football game telecast and the HBCU highlight shows.

I would love to see Jackie Slater as the guest speaker for the SWAC Championship Game luncheon or have the SWAC put him in the SWAC Hall of Fame during that same weekend. Good job Jackie.

Back