Should the NCAA do away with the 16 seed

Kendrick

Administrator
Staff member
The 16 seed has never beaten a No. 1 seed more than 120 games played.

And, quite frankly, the No.16 seed has no shot winning the NCAA Tournament.

Would it be good for college basketball if this were to happen?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
For most conferences, a $1.7 million payday is worth it. Who are the 16 seeds? MEAC/SWAC or another lower tier conference.

Just because it's never happened doesn't mean it won't. We've had some close upsets in the past

Just because it's never happened doesn't mean it won't. We've had some close upsets in the past

Yep. It's bound to happen. TSU lost to the eventual national champs Razorbacks by one. Princeton also lost by one. SU played Gonzaga tough 2 years ago.

The way it's going to happen is either with the situation SU was in against a weak #1 like Gonzaga (physical SWAC team versus a finesse lengthy Gonzaga team) or a guard oriented team i.e. teams like Belmont against a school like Virginia that is defensive minded.

If we elected a black president to two terms then I'm sure it will happened. 3 out of the 4 15 over 2 upsets were HBCUs.

I wasn't aware of this at the time this thread was created, but I learned over the weekend through a 30 for 30 mini-documentary that there were actual discussions of eliminating the No. 15 and No. 16 seeds because the games were not competitive for the most part.

And it was a game between No. 1 Georgetown and No. 16 Princeton broadcast on ESPN in primetime that changed that. Princeton nearly beating Georgetown in the first round of the 1989 NCAA Tournament resulted in the higher seeds remaining and led to a billion-dollar TV deal to broadcast the NCAA Tournament as we see it in its current form.

The NIT should be eliminated. Teams should not be rewarded for mediocrity
I hate when people say stuff like this. Let them kids play. If there is a way to make it work, let the kids play, just because they didn't win as many games (for a variety of reason) doesn't make them less of a person. Can they win the championship, NO. but let them play. If they can make it work, let the last place teams play for the last place NCAA Winner. But I am for any kind of way they can let kids play. If you don't want to watch, thats what they made eyelids for, jus close your eyes.

There are 20+ win teams in the NIT. Some who were ranked in the top 25.
I understand that but they still didn't do what it takes to make the tourney. What glory is there in winning the NIT? We are rewarding these teams for being "almost good enough?"

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I understand that but they still didn't do what it takes to make the tourney. What glory is there in winning the NIT? We are rewarding these teams for being "almost good enough?"

Some of those teams won their regular season conference championship.

The NCAA Tournament selection committee rewarded several schools who were in the middle of the pack in their conferences AND didn't win their regular season or conference title.

The NCAA Tournament selection committee rewarded several schools who were in the middle of the pack in their conferences AND didn't win their regular season or conference title.

My response still stands. Maybe we should re-evaluate how they vote/select teams.

The "Valley rule" after the 2004 season lol.

I wanted to say eliminate it as well but after the past few years (USM missed the field in 2013 and 2014 despite having a RPI in the 30's, MTSU missing in 2013 I believe, SMU missing last year despite being ranked, Murray State missing this year despite being ranked) I say keep it as well. It's a good way for mid-major schools like Murray State and NCCU to gauge where they are at (who also get eliminated in conference tourneys) versus average schools in big conferences likie Miami who missed the field.

I also agree that big schools like Texas and UCLA shouldn't have made the field but got in due to name over Murray State. The NCAA is rewarding mediocrity to those schools is the reason why the field is 68

The NIT should be eliminated. Teams should not be rewarded for mediocrity
My response still stands. Maybe we should re-evaluate how they vote/select teams.

They seem to do a great job selecting NIT teams. In fact, I think in terms of competition, it's better than the NCAA tourney overall. The teams are more evenly matched. On top of that, games like that gives teams incentives for the next year.

Hell no. The 16 vs 1 game must continue. The suspense is always great to watch whenever the 16 plays tough. I do believe that the 16 will beat a number 1 seed pretty soon because the talent gap is closing. Also, for the past few years, there is always a 1 seed who many people feel is overrated over over seeded.

On the other side, any team that gets the glory of being a 1 seed, deserves to play the weaker tourney team and focus on the next round. It's just the NCAA's way of giving them a bye game. I really see the MEAC being the conference to shock the world with the first 16 seeded win.

Back