Schools encourage super seniors to graduate

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
Public universities pushing ‘super-seniors’ to the graduation stage

MADISON, Wis. — Some of the nation’s top public universities are prodding dallying students toward the graduation stage, trying to change a campus culture that assumes four-year completion is the exception rather than the rule.

It’s a move supported not just by parents whose wallets are depleted by tuition bills. University leaders are pushing for on-time completion amid criticism over wasted tax dollars, spiraling tuition and America’s plummeting global rank in college attainment.

Fewer than half of students graduate in four years at 33 of the 50 state flagship schools. The overall four-year graduation rate is 31 percent for public colleges and 52 percent for private ones, the federal government reported this year.

The universities of Maryland and Virginia are among the exceptions, with on-time graduation rates of 63 percent and 85 percent, respectively. U-Va.’s rate is the highest among public flagship schools.

“Four years and out†is a long tradition at private colleges, a value reinforced by the parents who pay the bills. Public universities, by contrast, have long tolerated the five- or six-year degree. But too often, the slow track leads nowhere.

Will not happen at our HBCU's. We need to be honest, our graduation rates are lacking because as a whole race, we are still dirt poor. We are still producing first time high school grads, let alone first time college freshmen. We as a race are still 70% poor. I remember seeing a documentary on certain Mississippi counties shutting down for cotton season and stopping schools in 2004 on PBS. Folks we haven't come that far. The internet have yall fooled. Have you ever been to the black belt of Alabama? Poor parts of Arkansas? Poor parts of Ga? South Carolina?

Last edited:
Lol, you do realize that the majority of African Americans in this country aren't below the level of poverty right? 70%? Man come on now lol

Lol, you do realize that the majority of African Americans in this country aren't below the level of poverty right? 70%? Man come on now lol

What? You are naive aren't you? Of course if you go by the fake money statistics you will get 25-30%, but lets be realistic, 20K is still poor. For that matter raising families on 40-50K is still a struggle even though that is not considered below poverty.

Last edited:
Will not happen at our HBCU's. We need to be honest, our graduation rates are lacking because as a whole race, we are still dirt poor. We are still producing first time high school grads, let alone first time college freshmen. We as a race are still 70% poor. I remember seeing a documentary on certain Mississippi counties shutting down for cotton season and stopping schools in 2004 on PBS. Folks we haven't come that far. The internet have yall fooled. Have you ever been to the black belt of Alabama? Poor parts of Arkansas? Poor parts of Ga? South Carolina?

I agree that poverty is a big issue, but it's not hardly limited to our schools, especially in the South. I know Southern and Grambling have poor graduation rates, but if you look at most of the other public schools in Louisiana outside of LSU (and theirs is hardly anything to brag about considering their hyper-funded status), they aren't any better. I would be willing willing to wager without looking it up that the same is true about Alabama State and AAMU compared to most of the other public schools in Alabama too.

Back