Rupptured Myth: Big House and the Baron

BgJag

Jaguar Nation
http://bv.channel.aol.com/newsmain/sports/hbcufootball/lutwilliams/20050131

Rupptured Myth: Big House and the Baron

By Lut Williams, AOL BlackVoices Columnist

Adolph Rupp is no hero of mine.

Clarence ?Big House? Gaines is.

When the legendary former Winston-Salem State basketball coach and Kentucky native was recently honored at a University of Kentucky basketball game at Rupp Arena, it brought to mind the strange history of race relations in this country and how sports, particularly black college sports, has impacted it.

Gaines was born in Paducah, Ky., but had to leave the state to make his place in life, and make it he did.

Rupp is the legendary Kentucky basketball coach known as ?The Baron,? who built the Wildcats into perhaps the nation?s premier program winning a then-record 876 games from 1930 to 1972.

Oft-remembered for his staunch opposition to integration, he got what some consider his comeuppance in the 1966 NCAA Championship Game at Cole Field House against Texas Western.

Before a national television audience that included this writer, five black Texas Western starters took the floor against Kentucky?s top-ranked squad of white players dubbed ?Rupp?s Runts? in a game that most acknowledge changed the face of college basketball. It was the first time five white starters met five black starters in the title game.

That Rupp already had four NCAA championships, was seen as the grumpy head of perhaps the greatest program in college basketball and was fairly or unfairly viewed as the symbol of opposition to integration only added to the drama. Never mind the fact that unlike its Southeastern Conference counterparts, Kentucky routinely played teams with black players and likely welcomed the challenge. For me, an 11-year-old basketball junkie from Danville, Va., as well as most of the nation, it was a morality play.

Texas Western methodically took apart Rupp and his Runts on March 16, 1966, never surrendering the lead en route to a 72-65 victory. Using seven black players and no whites for the entire game, Don Haskins? squad ran around, past, through and over the UK darlings.

Though black players had been part of NCAA championship teams dating back to the early 1950s, Kentucky?s dismantling by an all-black squad on such a national stage buried another bastion of white invincibility. It had all the symbolism of a modern-day Tiger Woods at the Masters.

Gaines was there, along with many of his black college coaching peers. The CIAA, to which WSSU then and now belongs, was having its annual meeting in Washington, D.C., on that weekend.

?We knew there were five kids,? Gaines said. ?A couple of them had gone to (North Carolina) A&T.? Actually, Nevil Shed a forward for Texas Western had played for Cal Irvin at A&T. David Lattin, a center who dominated the inside play in the game, had played for Harold Hunter at Tennessee State.

Kentucky?s Pat Riley -- yeah, that Pat Riley -- reportedly said of Lattin, ?In those days, players didn?t dunk. I hadn?t seen anyone dunk ?. But these guys came out, and after they had dunked on me about three times, I knew they had a lot more to accomplish than we did.? What an understatement. I guess Riley had never seen a black college game.

Only a year later Gaines would become the first black coach to win an NCAA basketball title of any kind when his Earl Monroe-led Rams won the 1967 Small College title. He went on to win 828 games in his 47-year career, all at WSSU, which ended with his retirement in 1993.

Asked if Rupp?s reputation as a racist was justified, Gaines says there?s no doubt.

?I know it was true. I was raised in Kentucky. I waited tables, I was a bellhop.? In other words, he had seen it firsthand.

?The man was an excellent teacher,? said Gaines, who attended one of Rupp?s clinics at the University of Illinois-Carbondale. ?I guess that with the personnel that he had and with the system that he used, it was almost impossible to beat him at that time. He was an excellent coach and an excellent teacher. The only thing that we thought about him is, like with all of the coaches in the South, they all were racists.

?Oh, we?ve gone through hell, man.?

He and a legion of black college coaches had paved the way for that fateful day in 1966.

Winning three straight NAIA titles from 1957-59 at Tennessee State, John McLendon became the first coach to accomplish that feat and also forced integration of tournament accommodations when he threatened to not bring his defending champion team back to the tournament in 1958 unless they stayed in the same hotel as the other teams. McLendon and his cohorts then worked to end the practice of putting all the black college teams in the same district -- the infamous District 29, where they had to beat each other before taking on the predominantly white schools.

This, no doubt, paved the way however for Grambling under Fred Hobdy to win the 1962 NAIA crown and Prairie View under LeRoy Moore to come away with the title in 1963.

Thank God for coaches like Gaines and for coaches like Tubby Smith who remember them................. http://bv.channel.aol.com/newsmain/sports/hbcufootball/lutwilliams/20050131

I think it's so appropriate that Rupp's record was broken by Dean Smith. I think both men's views speak for themselves.

PNeck019 said:
I think it's so appropriate that Rupp's record was broken by Dean Smith. I think both men's views speak for themselves.

Not excusing the man's racist views but unfortunately those were the sentiments of the times. Not minimizing it at all cuz it was wrong then just like it would be wrong then. But when we fail to give tribute to those who worked and perservered during those times, we do an injustice. Because of Rupp's racism, Big House Gaines, John McClendon, Fred Hobdy and others prospered and did well.

Wonder what HBCUs would be like today if................. our RPI would be high and ..............

We were in front of the TV when this game was played.

Back