Roy Williams wins AP Coach of the Year

Mr. Tiger

Mr. T
Anyone else think Williams would not have won this award if the ballots were sent out after the tourney?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=A9htd1TlbS1EcHIBvgU5nYcB?slug=ap-coachoftheyear&prov=ap&type=lgns

Roy Williams AP Coach of the Year for second time

March 31, 2006

AP - Mar 31, 12:28 pm EST
More Photos

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Roy Williams, who followed a national championship season at North Carolina by leading an inexperienced team to a Top 10 finish, was selected coach of the year by The Associated Press on Friday.

Williams, who won the award in 1992 at Kansas, is the second coach to win it at two schools, joining Eddie Sutton, who won at Arkansas in 1978 and Kentucky in 1989. He is the seventh coach to win it more than once, with UCLA's John Wooden the record holder at five times from 1967 to 1973.

"Fourteen years ago I thought it was neat to win this award, and now I'm so much more appreciative of it," Williams said Friday. "From the first day of practice this team was fun to coach yet they were focused on what they had to do."

The Tar Heels won the national title last season, Williams' second at his alma mater. The top seven scorers from that team either graduated or left early for the NBA and North Carolina wasn't even ranked in the preseason poll.

Led by freshman Tyler Hansbrough, the Tar Heels went 23-8 and were ranked 10th in the final poll, finishing second in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Williams received 29 votes from the 72-member national media panel that selects the weekly Top 25. Jay Wright of Villanova had 15 votes to finish second in the balloting that was conducted before the NCAA tournament. Bruce Pearl of Tennessee was third with 11 votes.

Williams is the second North Carolina coach to win the award, which was first given in 1967. Matt Doherty, whom Williams succeeded at Chapel Hill, won in 2001.

Bruce Weber of Illinois won the award last season.

Mr. Tiger said:
Anyone else think Williams would not have won this award if the ballots were sent out after the tourney?

http://sports.yahoo.com/ncaab/news;_ylt=A9htd1TlbS1EcHIBvgU5nYcB?slug=ap-coachoftheyear&prov=ap&type=lgns

Roy Williams AP Coach of the Year for second time

March 31, 2006

AP - Mar 31, 12:28 pm EST
More Photos

INDIANAPOLIS (AP) -- Roy Williams, who followed a national championship season at North Carolina by leading an inexperienced team to a Top 10 finish, was selected coach of the year by The Associated Press on Friday.

Williams, who won the award in 1992 at Kansas, is the second coach to win it at two schools, joining Eddie Sutton, who won at Arkansas in 1978 and Kentucky in 1989. He is the seventh coach to win it more than once, with UCLA's John Wooden the record holder at five times from 1967 to 1973.

"Fourteen years ago I thought it was neat to win this award, and now I'm so much more appreciative of it," Williams said Friday. "From the first day of practice this team was fun to coach yet they were focused on what they had to do."

The Tar Heels won the national title last season, Williams' second at his alma mater. The top seven scorers from that team either graduated or left early for the NBA and North Carolina wasn't even ranked in the preseason poll.

Led by freshman Tyler Hansbrough, the Tar Heels went 23-8 and were ranked 10th in the final poll, finishing second in the Atlantic Coast Conference.

Williams received 29 votes from the 72-member national media panel that selects the weekly Top 25. Jay Wright of Villanova had 15 votes to finish second in the balloting that was conducted before the NCAA tournament. Bruce Pearl of Tennessee was third with 11 votes.

Williams is the second North Carolina coach to win the award, which was first given in 1967. Matt Doherty, whom Williams succeeded at Chapel Hill, won in 2001.

Bruce Weber of Illinois won the award last season.

Nah, I think Roy would have still won. That man lost his whole team and won 20 plus games with wins over Duke and others with True Freshmen. Actually the loss to George Mason has been validated by them going on to the Final Four. So that loss don't look bad. So he deserves that award. As storied of a program as NC is....they have not in recent times ever had to replace that many players. Especially off a National Title team. The job he did was incredible considering. No other coach had to deal with what Roy did.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Agreeing with JR, I can't argue against Roy Williams winning the COY award, because he did lose so much, and his team of true freshmen were beyond competitive, they grew and became winners. Granted the ACC was weak this year, but there were still teams that had more coming back than NC, and stunk up the joint.

I also though Jay Wright could've laid claim to the award, as well as Thad Matta at OSU, especially playing under the cloud he coached under this year. John Thompson III didn't do a bad job, and am I only person in the world tired of Bruce Pearl at Tennessee?

Man, they air him cursing out his team, and shows him sweating like a pig against Florida, and all of a sudden he's the best coach in America? Yeah, he did turn Tennessee around, but at the end of the day, they didn't win a dayum thing, and became a laughing stock in the tournament because of an undeserved #2 seeding. The funny thing is, they were seeded higher than SEC regular season champ LSU who blew them out by 14, and SEC tourney champ Florida, who're both in the Final Four.

NICE

Can't knock his coaching, BUT coaching THE BEST TRUE FRESHMEN in the nation, after a national championship year isn't like many coaches who are faced with the task of coaching the average Joe-Blow freshmen.

He did have his work cut out for him, but he had and probably will always have the top notch talent. He gained just as much as he lost. Only a few coaches have that luxury.

JR said:
Nah, I think Roy would have still won. That man lost his whole team and won 20 plus games with wins over Duke and others with True Freshmen. Actually the loss to George Mason has been validated by them going on to the Final Four. So that loss don't look bad. So he deserves that award. As storied of a program as NC is....they have not in recent times ever had to replace that many players. Especially off a National Title team. The job he did was incredible considering. No other coach had to deal with what Roy did.

I totally agree with you on this issue. With what he lost and still almost make it to the dance he deserves it.

Back