PV's New Panther Plaza

But here's the thing that gets confusing....I was told that we don't walk on the grass to honor the slaves also when I got to PV. That's the story I stuck with. But back in the 90s, I remember the rumored "fine" was only $50 so it sounds like PV is trying to get over with the new Panthers LOL. The rationale evolves over time. I don't think anyone knows someone who has actually been fined though. At the end of the day, almost everyone avoids the grass...which is a good thing, IMO because it keeps the inner campus looking nice.

The slave burial grounds actually faced my old apartment when I lived in Phase III. We passed it all the time because the back way was the easiest way to get to the Engineering building. People used to go out there on halloween. There's another cemetary back there as well with alot of history. Alot of important people like WR Banks are buried back there. Also, back when I was at PV (I sound old) we still had professors and other university staff living in Alta Vista. Now I imagine most live in Fairfield or Cypress.

Well, you'd know since that's your alma mater:). I just know what we were told during the Freshman orientation and what my baby tells me she learned during Panther Week and in her history class(her history professor was none other than Dr. George C. Wright). But I never knew PVAMU was once a slave plantation, so during that presentation, I was intrigued! This is why I love our HBCUs because they hold such powerful and impacting history and heritage. I did a little reading when I got back home and learned some really fascinating things about PVAMU. Regarding the fine, it was stated that the exact number of slaves was unknown, but it was a known fact that there were at least 150 slaves, so the fine was $1 for each slave. Faculty and staff did admit that while few have been fined that amount, it is so commonly known (students who have parents that are alum) that people don't walk on the grass, so they don't have to enforce it. I asked Bet if she ever sees anyone walking on the grass and she said "No".

But back to that Panther Plaza.......NIIIIIICE!!! I told my youngest that don't get mad if she sees her momma in that bowling alley, throwing gutter balls down the lanes! She was :mad: when I said that!

#tuition'sgonnaeatmealive!

Back