PV's New Panther Plaza

Storm96

Panther Plaza University Retail Center

Prairie View A&M University is an institution steeped in tradition with a firm grasp of the future. With an established reputation for producing engineers, corporate leaders, nurses and educators, PVAMU has made an impact throughout the United States. Close proximity to Houston, coupled with its quiet rural location, make Prairie View A&M University an ideal place to study, learn and explore.

The new retail center Panther Plaza will be located at 36190 Owens Road at the intersection of Owens Road and E.N. Norris Road, and adjacent to the recently constructed Phase VII Student Residences in the southeast corner of the campus. The purpose of the retail center is to provide entertainment, shopping and services to the students and staff of Prairie View A&M University and to the community of Prairie View, Texas. Additionally, the new retail center will provide opportunities for entrepreneurs to start and establish a new business in the community. Working with a committee of PVAMU administrators, the designers of OC+Architects refined the design of the retail center to include two buildings on each side of a partially covered outdoor plaza and facing Owens Road. The 16,570 square foot building on the west side of the courtyard will house a bowling center and support spaces including a food court with a kitchen, serving counters and seating for approximately 110 guests.

The bowling center features ten lanes with Brunswick GSX Pinsetters, Anvilane Pro-Lane Package with computerized Vector Keypad Scoring and LCD overhead scoreboards and Brunswick’s Vector Plus Management System. The bowling center is designed to accommodate NCAA bowling tournaments with traditional lighting, and boutique style bowling featuring Brunswick’s Omni Lighting and Effects Package that includes LED feature lighting, wide beam and star burst laser lights, edge to edge full lane glow with glow pins and fog or hazer machine. Video systems will include two lane wide motorized projection screens above the pinsetters with programming delivered by five overhead projectors and a programmable audio system.

The partially covered courtyard area features landscape planters and paved areas for site furniture. Audio/Visual programming originating from the Bowling Center will be available for patrons in the plaza. Access to the plaza area while the retail center is closed will be controlled using overhead coiling grilles and ornamental steel gates to the north and south ends of the plaza. The 7,520 square foot building on the east side of the plaza includes a 3,600 square foot restaurant with seating for approximately 65 diners. The balance of the building will be four retail store spaces open for business leasing.

https://www.pvamu.edu/auxiliaryservices/university-retail-center/
P1010713-960x300_c.jpg

P10106121-960x300_c.jpg
P1010595-960x300_c.jpg

P1010832-960x300_c.jpg

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Another addition to a historic & beautiful campus! Good stuff Prairie View! My daughter cannot wait to get back!:)

Once a slave plantation, now educating thousands of African Americans (and other minorities); the only HBCU mentioned in the Texas Constitution; Father of the Southwestern Athletic Conference........and STILL "Producing Productive People"! Happy belated 139th FOUNDER'S DAY PRAIRIE VIEW A&M UNIVERSITY!!!

:)

I thought the same thing when the new Rec center went up, LOL. Hell, we thought we were pissing in high cotton when the Village went up my freshman year. Its certainly a good time to be a Panther. With the New Agriculture / College of Business building and the new stadium, the campus is only going to get even better. Those long, late night walks to PV grocery are a thing of the past. They better stay off that grass though....

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
I thought the same thing when the new Rec center went up, LOL. Hell, we thought we were pissing in high cotton when the Village went up my freshman year. Its certainly a good time to be a Panther. With the New Agriculture / College of Business building and the new stadium, the campus is only going to get even better. Those long, late night walks to PV grocery are a thing of the past. They better stay off that grass though....

+1. That's right. Don't walk on the grass. Ever.

When @pvdogteam and @Fiyah were there, we were enamored by the new sidewalks lol so all those cowtrails began to disappear. Even that loooooooong one to Hobart, Texas lol.

The privileged and thinking they are entitled kids sure do have it good these days my man.

You shole is right P. LOL. None of our schools had it like that back in our day. I was impressed with SU facilities for the time in 84 through 88. These kids would have spat at what we lived through. Spoiled mofos.

You shole is right P. LOL. None of our schools had it like that back in our day. I was impressed with SU facilities for the time in 84 through 88. These kids would have spat at what we lived through. Spoiled mofos.

I'm a Holley and Fuller Halls product. I saw absolutely NOTHING wrong w/ them, for a sleeping environment. Well, except for the first floor debacle where we stayed near the garbage bin and this other "resident" came into the room under the door and unleashed unholy jihad on 3 big, tall dudes screaming @ the top of their lungs while hopping from bed to bed lololololololololololol hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Don't like rats mane. I'm not afraid of the rat; I'm afraid of what catches and SWALLOWS the rat for a meal lol.

+1. That's right. Don't walk on the grass. Ever.

When @pvdogteam and @Fiyah were there, we were enamored by the new sidewalks lol so all those cowtrails began to disappear. Even that loooooooong one to Hobart, Texas lol.

OK, I will admit it. I confess. A day before graduation I walked on the grass in front of Banks to get something. (I forgot what it was.) We said, "We're graduating."

OK, I will admit it. I confess. A day before graduation I walked on the grass in front of Banks to get something. (I forgot what it was.) We said, "We're graduating."

You broke the cardinal rule on the aPVm campus!! Lol!

You broke the cardinal rule on the aPVm campus!! Lol!

This video is right...no one knows exactly why we can't or what would really happen if you walk on PV's grass. Its almost like an urban legend that people are scared to break,LOL. It pisses me off if I see folks on the grass though and I don't really know why

This video is right...no one knows exactly why we can't or what would really happen if you walk on PV's grass. Its almost like an urban legend that people are scared to break,LOL. It pisses me off if I see folks on the grass though and I don't really know why

Maybe it has something to do with Prairie View's military background, since it is a land grant university. When I was in the military, especially during basic training, it was almost like a sin when someone walked on the grass.

Maybe it has something to do with Prairie View's military background, since it is a land grant university. When I was in the military, especially during basic training, it was almost like a sin when someone walked on the grass.
It is a sin.

When my youngest daughter attended Freshman orientation in 2013, we were told the reason behind this is because PVAMU was once a slave plantation, owned by a colonel named Kirby (last name). The slave plantation had 150 to nearly 350 slaves. After Col Kirby died, his wife sold the plantation and it was shortly a boarding school for girls, but later the state of Texas purchased it as a school for Negroes and "coloreds". When the school officially became Prairie View A&M University, it was decided that a $150 fine would be given to any person (student, faculty, visitor) walking on the grass.

The fine is in honor of the 150(+) slaves that worked those grounds, but denied the right to an education; $1 for each slave. Out of respect for their lives, hard work, and their denial to such a privileged freedom, YOU DO NOT WALK ON THE GRASS AT PVAMU!!!

The actual burial grounds of the slaves is further back on PVAMU's campus. The Coleman Library is where the "big house" was located on the Kirby Plantation; it is the tallest building on PVAMU's campus, and can be seen at least 2-3 miles away on Hwy 290. The name of the plantation was Alta Vista, and if you notice when you turn off Hwy 290 on to University Drive headed toward campus, that housing division to the left is named Alta Vista.

Last edited:
When my youngest daughter attended Freshman orientation in 2013, we were told the reason behind this is because PVAMU was once a slave plantation, owned by a colonel named Kirby (last name). The slave plantation had 150 to nearly 350 slaves. After Col Kirby died, his wife sold the plantation and it was shortly a boarding school for girls, but later the state of Texas purchased it as a school for Negroes and "coloreds". When the school officially became Prairie View A&M University, it was decided that a $150 fine would be given to any person (student, faculty, visitor) walking on the grass.

The fine is in honor of the 150(+) slaves that worked those grounds, but denied the right to an education; $1 for each slave. Out of respect for their lives, hard work, and their denial to such a privileged freedom, YOU DO NOT WALK ON THE GRASS AT PVAMU!!!

The actual burial grounds of the slaves is further back on PVAMU's campus. The Coleman Library is where the "big house" was located on the Kirby Plantation; it is the tallest building on PVAMU's campus, and can be seen at least 2-3 miles away on Hwy 290. The name of the plantation was Alta Vista, and if you notice when you turn off Hwy 290 on to University Drive headed toward campus, that housing division to the left is named Alta Vista.

But here's the thing that gets confusing....I was told that we don't walk on the grass to honor the slaves also when I got to PV. That's the story I stuck with. But back in the 90s, I remember the rumored "fine" was only $50 so it sounds like PV is trying to get over with the new Panthers LOL. The rationale evolves over time. I don't think anyone knows someone who has actually been fined though. At the end of the day, almost everyone avoids the grass...which is a good thing, IMO because it keeps the inner campus looking nice.

The slave burial grounds actually faced my old apartment when I lived in Phase III. We passed it all the time because the back way was the easiest way to get to the Engineering building. People used to go out there on halloween. There's another cemetary back there as well with alot of history. Alot of important people like WR Banks are buried back there. Also, back when I was at PV (I sound old) we still had professors and other university staff living in Alta Vista. Now I imagine most live in Fairfield or Cypress.

Back