PV A&M basketball coach

orange tiger

I saw a line on USAToday transaction page where the women's basketball caoch will resign, efective May 31.

what's the scoop?

I heard on one of the local radio talk shows that there might be a vacancy at the mens and womens head basketball positions at PV. Don't know if this is true or not. I learned a long time ago not to believe everything I hear on talk shows.

Maybe band fan can shed some light on the situation.

PVAMU Sports Information sent out a press release today that Robert Atkins has stepped down as Coach of the Womens PVAMU Basketball team.

I applaud PV in the way they handled this resignation. No matter his record, it was nice to see they handled it very professionally.

KCPVPanther

Robert Atkins, head women?s basketball coach at Prairie View A&M University, has announced his plans to step down from his position effective May 31, 2005.

?Prairie View has been good to me over the years. I?ve had some great experiences and some good times during my tenure,? said Atkins. ?What?s been most rewarding is to see players graduate and move on to be good citizens in their communities and productive people in their chosen fields.?

Atkins, who?s ending a 20-year tenure as the school?s head women?s basketball coach, compiled a 138-423 record. Under his direction, the women ?s basketball program graduated 100 percent of its student-athletes who enrolled in the fall of 1997 according to the NCAA graduation rates released in the fall of 2004. His program was one of eight teams in the state of Texas to do so.

The highlight of Atkins? tenure was in 1999-2000 when the Lady Panthers advanced to the SWAC tournament semi-finals for the first time in school history. His best season was 2000-01, when the Lady Panthers finished 13-15 overall, 10-8 in conference play.

According to Prairie View athletics director Charles McClelland, a national search to fill the position will begin immediately. Atkins will handle day-to-day women?s basketball duties until a new head coach is named and will remain in the Department of Athletics in an administrative position.

whomever the next coach is, they'll be pretty good and will take us to the next level. As much basketball talent there is in Texas, it should not be hard to attract quality candidates.

Panthro said:
This should've been "handled" decades ago. :mad:

*no comment* :mad:

TELL ME BOUT IT BROTHER! :smh: THE RECORD SHOULD HAVE INDICATED HE DIDN'T BELONG IN A HEAD COACHING POSITION TO BEGAN WITH! :splat:

Panthro said:
Bruh! :mad: :slap:

Better late than never? :confused: :shame:

It just shows that there really wasn't support during his early years in sports. PV is nationally know for academics and no bringing athletics in to complement it.

ASU2002 said:
It just shows that there really wasn't support during his early years in sports. PV is nationally know for academics and no bringing athletics in to complement it.

Bruh! He <b>had</b> support when he first attempted to be "a women's basketball head coach." In fact, he inherited SEVERAL all-americans (yep one during my tenure - Pat Walker(?)) w/ a STOLID foundation around them. He JUST couldn't coach. He WAS NOT a basketball coach. He was a FOOTBALL coach FORCED/ASKED to take over the ladies program. :smh:

I'll stay neutral on the nationally known for academia thing. :|

Back