Public Speaking @ Media Day

MikeBigg

I don't want this to thread to turn into a smack session on who didn't do a good job of representing themselves, their school, and the conference with bad speaking skills. I just want to post this 2003 story that mentioned how Coach Rob schooled his players on etiquette and public speaking. Our players and students are representatives of our schools and it's important that we train them on the "social graces" and encourage them to have good communication skills. Check out this link and story that mentions Coach Rob.

http://www.kusports.com/news/2003bowl/story/108743

Mayer: Tangerine Bowl in Orlando worthy fruit of Jayhawks' labor
By Bill Mayer, Contributing Editor
Saturday, December 6, 2003

I always admired Grambling football coach Eddie Robinson for tutoring his guys in English, table manners and general social graces. Wonder why more coaches don't notice the horrid grammar so many of their kids use in TV interviews and make efforts to do away with such junk as "we was," "we have went" and "they have ran" or "it's never gonna get no better." Aren't they there for an education?

Mike,

I feel ya but those kinds of coaches are few and far between during these modern,and often more tragic,times.It's a shame that these type coaches have gone the way of the dinosaur, especially at a time when personal responsibility is in the midst of a sharp decline.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I wasn't trying to imply that our current coaches don't do the same... I was just trying to emphasize how much it is necessary. Coach Spears is big on mentoring of the players by the coaching staff and personal development and social skills. But of course the main party responsible for this is the player himself...still I think the coaches need to emphasize it.

Butch Wms. said:
Mike,

I agree with you wholeheartedly.

How do you think you guys will do this season. What's your preseason ranking in the SIAC? Do you foresee a move to D1AA anytime soon and would the SIAC be interested in a Heritage Bowl berth against the SWAC.

Mike we have recognized the problem not only we athletes but this is a problem with young people across the board.

I saw some things at the luncheon that professional people were doing, therefore, if they are doing it in front of the students; they will do the same. Coach Crews taught English, Math, engineering and corrected any mistake that you made running plays or talking. In fact, those of us who had served in the military were asked to train our team members in manners, such as how to eat with a knife and folk. Some guys were ashamed to eat in front of other players.

MikeBigg said:
I don't want this to thread to turn into a smack session on who didn't do a good job of representing themselves, their school, and the conference with bad speaking skills. I just want to post this 2003 story that mentioned how Coach Rob schooled his players on etiquette and public speaking. Our players and students are representatives of our schools and it's important that we train them on the "social graces" and encourage them to have good communication skills. Check out this link and story that mentions Coach Rob.

http://www.kusports.com/news/2003bowl/story/108743

Mayer: Tangerine Bowl in Orlando worthy fruit of Jayhawks' labor
By Bill Mayer, Contributing Editor
Saturday, December 6, 2003

I always admired Grambling football coach Eddie Robinson for tutoring his guys in English, table manners and general social graces. Wonder why more coaches don't notice the horrid grammar so many of their kids use in TV interviews and make efforts to do away with such junk as "we was," "we have went" and "they have ran" or "it's never gonna get no better." Aren't they there for an education?

I am sooooo feeling you on this! :look: I have had this conversation many times with my child and he knows better. He is to represent his school and conference with his best manners and social graces. :goodbad:

But of course there are times that I have read interviews, which have quoted him and I've cringed! :xeye: :retard: that's why we have had this conversation many times. :slap: :nod2:

Mike,

We've been picked to finish 3rd behind Tuskegee and Albany State. I feel that the key to our season is how we do against Valdosta State in the 1st game of the season.If we can win that one,or at least keep it respectable,we should do alright.We play only 10 games this season and I'm expecting a 7-8 win season at least.
I don't foresee us attempting to go to D1AA anytime within the next 5 years.I believe Skegee and Albany State will move up before we will.
With Albany State playing Southern and Skegee playing AAMU this season,that Heritage Bowl matchup against the SWAC just might be what the doctor ordered.At least I think the SIAC would be interested.

MikeBigg said:

Good post. I cringe when I hear a player in an interview, especially from one of our universities, who sounds as though he should not have gotten a passing grade in Freshman English 101.

ThrowForSix said:
I am sooooo feeling you on this! :look: I have had this conversation many times with my child and he knows better. He is to represent his school and conference with his best manners and social graces. :goodbad:

But of course there are times that I have read interviews, which have quoted him and I've cringed! :xeye: :retard: that's why we have had this conversation many times. :slap: :nod2:

So glad that you emphasize the importance of good diction and appropriate grammar. He not only represents himself but so much more. As adults and having been in the workforce we know that good speaking skills gives the impression of intelligence. Nothing like making a good impression...we know that they have the ability to follow up on it.

Good luck to him this season... Also, please tell him not to read the SMACK page (lol).

Back