Pressuring the feds to count transfers in the graduation rate

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
I have been thinking and talking about this lately with some colleagues. I watched how the for-profit schools lobbied and had the Feds gainful employment regulations and I think HBCU's should engage a full court press on this issue. The name of the game in the feds now is accountability and it is trickling down to the state levels. In the end, graduation rate may be a litmus test some places so no need to be caught behind that curb. Counting transfers would improve a lot of our graduation rates and we could partner up with Community colleges on this effort.

I also think the feds should be able to track individual students.

JSUPop33, I think your idea and the reasoning behind it has merit. Poor graduation rates, deservedly so, were constantly being thrown in Texas Southern's face every time our state legislature went into session. If we had been allowed to count the transfer students it would have improved our graduation rate by a noticeable factor. With that said, now that Texas Southern has abandoned open admissions I expect the graduation rate to improve as a result, but it would still be nice if all HBCU's could tally the transfers into the graduation rate. If you gain some traction with your idea let me know, I know a professor at Texas Southern that has pushed for the same thing in the past, but to no avail. I'm just about certain he has not lost interest in this issue.

Last edited:

I definitely will. I plan to write some people with NAFEO. Because of my job though, I can only do so much. I had to stop writing op-eds.

Back