Position Battles for 2015 Fall Camp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
What are some of the position battles you can't wait to see work out in fall camp? Please no smack, just your observations ...

For Southern, the O-line could see one or two of the incoming freshmen push the returning guys for spots. We're pretty much straight in the skill positions on the offensive side of the ball. Menard's coming back, and no spring practice meant added rehab time and healing for his foot. He should be ready to go. So with Menard, that means out top four receivers from this time last season will be back.

Defensively, some of the newcomers might push for time on the D-line and the LB spots (although we return our leading tacklers from that position). The secondary had two true freshmen starting last season, and you might see a true freshman/transfer push for the CB spot opposite of Danny Johnson and the other safety spot next to Bryan Anderson. Ledbetter's back, but you can never have enough good DBs...

So for me it's ...

1. O-Line
2. D-Line
3. Secondary

QB. I think it's safe to say that Q will probably start but if any of those freshman QBs come in slanging that rock, it could be interesting.

Everything but qb is wide open . Won't "stick my chest out" about transfers and where they came from although there is a rumor we have a bama player. I'll say maybe Oline, Dline will have the best battles because that's all we really needed.

QB. JUCO transfer DeAngelo Ballard and redshirt freshman Damion May were almost tit for tat all Spring. May was better in my opinion. Both can run which is crucial in the pistol.

Incoming freshman P.J. Garrett led the state in passing yards with 33TDs and 9 picks. If he can run and pick up the offense, he might beat out the other two.

Also have some solid D-linemen coming off redshirts and JUCO & freshmen OL. Last years OL still had a lot of Jones players that was a better fit for his "offense"

Also have some solid D-linemen coming off redshirts and JUCO & freshmen OL. Last years OL still had a lot of Jones players that was a better fit for his "offense"

What do you think your chances are of winning the East? How do you all match up against Alcorn?

I wonder if we will use Deonte Shorts at receiver or quarterback? Plus will we implement Jarrad Hayes into the offense at qb because his real talented?

What do you think your chances are of winning the East? How do you all match up against Alcorn?

We're not quite at the level where I feel comfortable saying we "will" push Alcorn for the East. A lot of things would have to go in our favor. We're still young, but experienced, and as we know, anything can happen in the SWAC. We were 4-7 last year, but were about 15 points away from 7-4. I could see us finishing 2nd or 3rd, unless some of our players REALLY blossom.

QB. JUCO transfer DeAngelo Ballard and redshirt freshman Damion May were almost tit for tat all Spring. May was better in my opinion. Both can run which is crucial in the pistol.

Incoming freshman P.J. Garrett led the state in passing yards with 33TDs and 9 picks. If he can run and pick up the offense, he might beat out the other two.

PJ Garrett has the size and strong arm, but I think May will get your offense moving. He is more polished than Garrett. I could be wrong, but I think that Garrett is still green. May has very good mechanics and can move very well out of the pocket.

A&M has the most intriguing QB battle this year right above Mississippi Valley.

Last edited:
PJ Garrett has the size and strong arm, but I think May will get your offense moving. He is more polished than Garrett. I could be wrong, but I think that Garrett is still green. May has very good mechanics and can move very well out of the pocket.

A&M has the most intriguing QB battle this year right above Mississippi Valley.

Garrett still needs some work, but if he's outplaying May & Ballard in camp, he'll play. I trust Totten to have somebody prepared. May knows the system, so he may get the nod. Ballard has JUCO game experience and is a decent dual threat. Time will tell. August always has a way of separating the men from the boys.

Garrett still needs some work, but if he's outplaying May & Ballard in camp, he'll play. I trust Totten to have somebody prepared. May knows the system, so he may get the nod. Ballard has JUCO game experience and is a decent dual threat. Time will tell. August always has a way of separating the men from the boys.

Sounds like a good battle

I look for Ballard to be the starter, but May has the most upside. Both will play, but Ballards Juco experience should benefit him.

Totten will have May or Ballard ready...look what he did with Jaymason Lee who was not mobile but had a rocket arm!

if Lee didn't get hurt in the UAB game & reinjured vs SU...we would have won more games cause he was still throwing the ball well ..that injury just bothered him the rest of the season

Totten will have May or Ballard ready...look what he did with Jaymason Lee who was not mobile but had a rocket arm!

if Lee didn't get hurt in the UAB game & reinjured vs SU...we would have won more games cause he was still throwing the ball well ..that injury just bothered him the rest of the season
Man that was pure luck how we won that game against y'all. I was cursing so much at our defense. lol

Man that was pure luck how we won that game against y'all. I was cursing so much at our defense. lol

I know lol...I sat on SU side in disbelief ..a Southern fan had to tell me Lee was hurt .in the 4th quarter when Leachman kept running backwards killing series...it was sad to watch that

Hell every position on our team is a battle. It ain't one dude that can go into camp thinking he the man and got a starting spot sewn up. Suffice it to say there will be a good bit of freshmen starting this year as well.

Very interested in the battle of the starting linemen for Valley on both sides of the ball. Ya'll should have a pretty nice number of guys to work with this year.

You are right. Time will tell. As some of you A&M fans know, I was high on him when he signed. I really thought that he was a steal and an impressive grab for Spady.

Don't forget what I am telling ya'll, the kid mimics RGIII.

Very interested in the battle of the starting linemen for Valley on both sides of the ball. Ya'll should have a pretty nice number of guys to work with this year.

It's one kid I am looking for from my hometown to see if he is playing this year. He was a beast on both sides of the ball in high school. He went JUCO and they played him out of position. He has the talent to lead the SWAC in rushing and I promise you not many defenders wanna get in front of him when he starts heading downfield.......gotta check on his status/eligibility 1st.

I'm sorry to break the news but Deangelo Ballard from Noxubee County isn't very good so if you guys are counting on him then your in trouble. Remind you that Noxubee County is a Jackson State and Alcorn pipeline. If he had to go juco and still ended up at A&M that says alot. I don't think jsu or alcorn offered the kid.

I'm sorry to break the news but Deangelo Ballard from Noxubee County isn't very good so if you guys are counting on him then your in trouble. Remind you that Noxubee County is a Jackson State and Alcorn pipeline. If he had to go juco and still ended up at A&M that says alot. I don't think jsu or alcorn offered the kid.

Ok.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back