Origin of School Nicknames

MACHIAVELLI

Chairman/C.E.O.
What is the origin of your schools Nickname?

-- Grambling State -- The Tigers are so-named because the founders of the school, many from the Baton Rouge area, wanted their program to emulate that of LSU.

-- Southern -- This much is certain of Southern -- its teams originally were called the Bushmen. According to Dr. Everett Baker, a historian associated with the school, Southern changed the name to Jaguars "in the early 1930s." The reason for the change, Baker said, "doesn't appear in any of the records."

LA Schools Ncknames

MACHIAVELLI said:

-- Grambling State -- The Tigers are so-named because the founders of the school, many from the Baton Rouge area, wanted their program to emulate that of LSU.

-- Southern -- This much is certain of Southern -- its teams originally were called the Bushmen. According to Dr. Everett Baker, a historian associated with the school, Southern changed the name to Jaguars "in the early 1930s." The reason for the change, Baker said, "doesn't appear in any of the records."

LA Schools Ncknames

:lmao:

MACHIAVELLI said:

According to Webster:

Bushman - (n) A member of a nomadic Negroid people of southwestern Africa, characteristically of short stature. A backwoodsman.

So, where did they get the paper bag test from?

Folklore: The Bushmen were members of a division of the human species that in all probability once occupied the whole, or nearly the whole, of the African continent.

The name Hornets originated or was first heard when one of the first teams traveled to Ft. Benning, Ga. to play the 24th Infantry football team. The ASU team was small in size and number while the Infantry team was huge.
They'd (Infantry) get the expected win but not by the wide margin anticipated. At the end of the game, one member of the Infantry squad remarked, "They play like a swarm of stinging hornets."

FAB5 said:
The name Hornets originated or was first heard when one of the first teams traveled to Ft. Benning, Ga. to play the 24th Infantry football team. The ASU team was small in size and number while the Infantry team was huge.
They'd (Infantry) get the expected win but not by the wide margin anticipated. At the end of the game, one member of the Infantry squad remarked, "They play like a swarm of stinging hornets."

FAB5, beat me to it.

Oh by the way, this happened in the early 1900's, around 1908 or so. :tup:

MACHIAVELLI said:

LA Schools Ncknames

bushmen is a great with great heritage. :tup: :tup: :tup:

A side point - I wonder if bushmen would hold up in the PC world.

MACHIAVELLI said:

LA Schools Ncknames
Great Article. :tup: :tup:

Deuce said:
FAB5, beat me to it. :tup:

:tup: :lol: :tup: :lol: :tup:
alst2.gif
alst2-med.gif
alst2.gif

Blacknbengal said:
According to Webster:
Bushman - (n) A member of a nomadic Negroid people of southwestern Africa, characteristically of short stature. A backwoodsman.
So, where did they get the paper bag test from?
Y'all crazy!! :lol:

Damn, we went from "small" fierce fighters to one of the most vicious cats in the world.

And Grumblinites, emulating LSU? .... damn shame. Now the band uniforms from this past year and of course, your fight song, makes sense!

Damn, you leeched them and then Green Bay? ;)

MACHIAVELLI said:

LA Schools Ncknames

Interesting! How bout them Bushmen!!! Can't imagine that being on some helmets.

I will post the Fighting Bulldogs information as soon as I find it among all these files. I know the history but I would like to post the actual information.

Side note:
I was on a mission to get the grey, orange and other colors out of our uniforms, but I was told many times that it was insignficant. After many tries, I held a meeting to change AAMU School colors to Maroon, White and Grey or Orange. Seems like everyone attended, and I was accused of everything under the sun for trying to change the school colors. However, it turned out that we made folks aware of the fact that our colors were Maroon and White. I have noticed that we need another meeting in some areas.

Back