"One & Dones" and HBCU Basketball?

An a-level talent attracts the rest...have you seen the benchwarmers at the big PWCs? Some cant play dead but they still sign

An a-level talent attracts the rest...have you seen the benchwarmers at the big PWCs? Some cant play dead but they still sign
Keep believing. Maybe you'll see the results of that more sooner than later. A-level talent attracts the rest to decent coaches and attractive schools. No one (outside of sTu) have decent coaching. And not let's get to talking about "ATTRACTIVE" schools.

I guess I'm around the wrong AAU folks then. I guarantee thats not always the case.

You and I are both around the wrong AAU folks. lol

W/ all the doom and gloom presented in this thread, why are HBCU coaches even wasting their time @ AAU et al circuits since they cannot financially "take care of the families, coaches, and shoe companies?"

Jesus. *smh* The defeat in the dna is real. lol

I can name names, situations, etc. on who got what, etc. but what does that really accomplish?....this has been going on since the 60s when PWCS started buying blacks on the campus of HBCUs

If it was so easy, why hasn't Wayne Brent roped in all the top level Jackson talent? Not as easy it seems if you want a major player

Yep, just like when Ronnie Courtney got the Texas Southern job. You think he was bringing TJ Ford (Texas) and Daniel Ewing (Duke) with him?

HELL NO!!! Their parents/AAU coaches were already taken care of.

Yep, just like when Ronnie Courtney got the Texas Southern job. You think he was bringing TJ Ford (Texas) and Daniel Ewing (Duke) with him?

HELL NO!!! Their parents/AAU coaches were already taken care of.
Weren't they already signed by the time he got hired by TSU?

One good thing... TJ is sending players from his AAU program to the SWAC and other small schools.

lmao
So, why do HBCU coaches waste their time attending these elite events like AAU/EYBL/et al? Simply to waste time, use a smidget of travel budget, and gain some enjoyment? lol

Goodness. The doom and gloom... *smh*

This doesn't necessarily apply to college basketball per se, but does this conversation.

During a recent interview with B/R, Pough said he sees it as the new normal for historically black colleges and universities (HBCU) football.

"It's not frustrating," Pough said when asked if he ever gets fed up with elite black athletes standing up Orangeburg for what to them might be greener pastures at Football Bowl Subdivision schools. "We know that blue chip athletes more than likely want to go BCS schools.

Richmond head coach football coach Latrell Scott can relate to the plight of Pough and other HBCU head coaches who seem to be fighting an uphill battle when it comes to convincing a 4 or 5-star recruit to take a gander at an FCS school.

"We are just not going to get blue-chip athletes. Those kids want to play at Ohio State and play in a BCS bowl game," Scott said. "We try to target the right student-athletes for our program."

http://bleacherreport.com/articles/592370-national-signing-day-for-hbcus-it-is-a-reality-check

Weren't they already signed by the time he got hired by TSU?

One good thing... TJ is sending players from his AAU program to the SWAC and other small schools.

During interviews he mentioned he could "possibly" sway them to 3rd Ward.

"We know we are going to get the bottom 25 percent of student-athletes," Pough acknowledged. "Our job is to develop them into the best football players they can be."

I guess most agree w/ Mr Pough's words up there ^^^^^^^^, eh? Bottom 25%? *smh* (from kendrick's article link)

I want players of any race that will help me win."
I agree w/ this 10000000000+% ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^. (from kendrick's article link - words of coach Buddy Pough - SCST)

most coaches in America attend these events just to watch at the end of the day as Duke is only looking at maybe 5 out of 1,000 guys playing....alot of these guys playing are rec league players but in today's society, if folks don't see you they think your not out there as high schools games don't carry the same weight anymore

most coaches in America attend these events just to watch at the end of the day as Duke is only looking at maybe 5 out of 1,000 guys playing....alot of these guys playing are rec league players but in today's society, if folks don't see you they think your not out there as high schools games don't carry the same weight anymore

After two weekends off EYBL basketball my homeboy got offers from Texas A&M, Texas Tech, Florida State and Arkansas..... These coaches are doing much more than just watching.

all it takes is a few games and one major offer and everyone follows....problem is teams are offering based on AAU numbers now and that's why the transfer list tops 300 every year....

Something is miserably wrong here.
For self, and I was there because I told this one dude to pinch me to ensure I was looking @ who I was looking @ just immediate to my left as ol' guy had just taken a seat next to me... but on the floor was the men's head bball coach @ Baylor University who was talking to the Mr Billy Kennedy on the floor during the entire game. To my IMMEDIATE left was John Lucas, who introduced me to the guy to this left - the HC @ Rice University and to his left was the HC @ Tulsa University. He explained to me who they were coming to see (the 2 guards - one a jr and one a sr) on the #2 state ranked team. Just above me were a few from Dallas who came down JUST for that game.
I don't think those guys got the memo that high school games aren't that weight worthy. :D lol

Something is miserably wrong here.
For self, and I was there because I told this one dude to pinch me to ensure I was looking @ who I was looking @ just immediate to my left as ol' guy had just taken a seat next to me... but on the floor was the men's head bball coach @ Baylor University who was talking to the Mr Billy Kennedy on the floor during the entire game. To my IMMEDIATE left was John Lucas, who introduced me to the guy to this left - the HC @ Rice University and to his left was the HC @ Tulsa University. He explained to me who they were coming to see (the 2 guards - one a jr and one a sr) on the #2 state ranked team. Just above me were a few from Dallas who came down JUST for that game.
I don't think those guys got the memo that high school games aren't that weight worthy. :D lol

high school games arent weight worthy.... no coach goes to a regular highi school game looking for talent.... they go to watch the talent that they saw during the circuit/AAU season. They are going three for a specific player not to FIND talent.... thats the difference.

high school games arent weight worthy.... no coach goes to a regular highi school game looking for talent.... they go to watch the talent that they saw during the circuit/AAU season. They are going three for a specific player not to FIND talent.... thats the difference.

Yes sir. But... But... But... all those coaches came to see the 2 guys on the #2 state ranked team and 3 of those coaches ended up speaking to this one 6'7" dude from the opposing team who put on a wondeful show :D. I spoke w/ him the next day to inquire as it took him forever to leave that locker room area post game.

you should ask why don't folks bust their chops to get the HBCUs the same access to these players as Rice ain't drawing flies......not when they mess up and need a change of scenary but when their young

The good talent now is controlled by a few people unfortunately and the price to pay for them is out of our ranges unless their white as for whatever reason, those kids lock onto their dream school early and commit as soon as they can..us? we got to go through mazes

Y'all worried about HBCUs losing out on kids to Kentucky, Duke and UNC instead of Wichita State, Northern Iowa, Murray State and Georgia State.

Draft slots are at stake. If Okafor, Towns, or Winslow each would have gone to 3 different HBCUs and averaged 30 points a game none of the 3 would be a top 5 pick in the draft like they are projected now.

Draft slots are at stake. If Okafor, Towns, or Winslow each would have gone to 3 different HBCUs and averaged 30 points a game none of the 3 would be a top 5 pick in the draft like they are projected now.

You telling the world that three top 100 recruits who were McDonald's All-Americans would not be atop the lottery if they dominated the SWAC?

charlo.gif

Last edited:
Put Okafor, Towns & Winslow on Southern or Texas Southern team this year, they would play for the NCAA championship.

All three would be lottery picks and the coaches would be lottery picks also.

Back