"One & Dones" and HBCU Basketball?

I guarantee you Mike Davis gets to talk to almost anyone in Texas. He hasn't convinced the top guys to go to TSU yet, but he gets an audience.
all the coaches in the swac have an opportunity to recruit the best. if you've been the hc or an assistant for a minute in your state you've seen and been seen by the top players since they started playing AAU around the age of 10

You invite a PWC team to your gym on a night where students are in session, those guys hear the DJ, see the band and cheerleaders that look like them and see their friends...they get fired up
no they would rather play at Rupp Arena where they know they will play in front of 23k EVERY NIGHT and be treated like rock stars when they are on the road. These kids don't give a damn about no djs or cheerleaders.

no they would rather play at Rupp Arena where they know they will play in front of 23k EVERY NIGHT and be treated like rock stars when they are on the road. These kids don't give a damn about no djs or cheerleaders.

In a way I agree and in a way I disagree. I think if they got to play in front of 3K to 5K fans a night in a hyped-up environment, some could be swayed. The fact that they see 300 to 500 fans is a turn off and no DJ can help that. LOL

I keep up with a ton of former TSU players who has kids playing HS ball now. One in particular dad played ball and mom played volleyball for us.

They post pictures and highlight videos of their son who is getting a lot of attention right now. They'll drive up to Baylor, UT, TAMU and blast photos on their facebook page of their visits to games with their son. So I posted on a photo the question that if they've taken their son to visit their alma mater. I got an "unfortunately not yet" response.

Nike EYBL

don't you think the best want to play against the best.... why would you go from the Nike EYBL circuit to an HBCU? You can't possibly get better playing against other HBCU players....

players pick Ole Miss and Mississippi State over JSU/Alcorn/Valley for the same reason they pick JSU/Alcorn/ Valley over Toogaloo and Rust College. ALL COLLEGES USE ATHLETES!
They would be playing against the top teams at HBCUs too in the first couple months of the season. We're talking about the best of the beat players. Their stock is NJ ot going to drop playing one season at an HBCU. Ben Simmons is going in the top 5 next year whether he plays a minute of college ball or not.

They would be playing against the top teams at HBCUs too in the first couple months of the season. We're talking about the best of the beat players. Their stock is NJ ot going to drop playing one season at an HBCU. Ben Simmons is going in the top 5 next year whether he plays a minute of college ball or not.

so you want to use the player.... just like you claim the white schools use players?

HBCUs are like AAU.... MAJOR conference schools are like Nike EYBL or Adidas Gauntlet.... a GREAT player is going to go where the BEST players are.

so you want to use the player.... just like you claim the white schools use players?

HBCUs are like AAU.... MAJOR conference schools are like Nike EYBL or Adidas Gauntlet.... a GREAT player is going to go where the BEST players are.
Hmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.....

I would love for this to happen. I do want to build off of what Kendrick said. Please remember this discussion the next time one of you guys go on your PWC's don't care about their black athletes rants...... No schools care about their black athletes. They are seen as financial investments. This is why college athletes should be allowed to profit off their name.

I was at the Gauntlet last week.....there are just as many scrub teams and players there also and the coaching is suspect as all I hear is cussing.....alot of these kids are just playing for fun and not going to college for a scholarship so what do you mean?

yall cant tell me if a major athlete who chooses elsewhere and brings along another star that would not change?

HBCU grads seem scared to promote their alma maters once the PWCS show their kids attention...why is that? who gave you a shot?

HMMMMM let me see. Would I rather play at the AAC or Cameron Indoor Stadium? HMMMMM seems like a very hard choice. LOL HAHAHAHAHAHAHA

Cameron Indoor is nothing but Grambling's old gym with high level players......lets switch the players and see where you want to play

I never said those schools use players any more than ours do. They all use players. It would be no different.

And not all EYBL players are elite players. These guys play against each other all over the country and battle then train and hang out afterwards. They dont only play in EYBL tournaments either.

I never said those schools use players any more than ours do. They all use players. It would be no different.

And not all EYBL players are elite players. These guys play against each other all over the country and battle then train and hang out afterwards. They dont only play in EYBL tournaments either.
my point is they have rules.... unlike AAU..... you cant team hop in EYBL.... much more stuctured... thats why the shoe circuits get the much better players than AAU does. AAU you can play with how many ever teams you want... EYBL... once your roster is set no players can be added.... much more stuctured.

It is something in our DNA. Adolfo Rupp recruited & signed a Black player.

It is simply a mechanism to continue to keep us at an economic disadvantage.

It was black folks who voluntarily fought, died, and toiled for every single person of color to have access to such historically white mechanisms. Please tell us all that we're not finding fault in what we asked for, eh? Cannot have it both ways. We died for the rights so they do need to be exercised, imho. lol

I find zero fault in those talented young men/women of color choosing to fulfill their individual destinies w/ choices they deem necessary and sufficient for themselves - be it HBCU or PWCU. I find a TON of fault in those who are receiving salaries @ our HBCUs not attempting to speak w/ those who are ridiculously talented and having a defeatist type attitude while writing them off as "big state u already contacted them recruits." *smh* It doesn't hurt to attempt to speak to EVERY single last one of them. Afterall, your salaried job/position is predicated upon their success which should translate into a successsful (winning) team/season. Part of your salaried position/job responsibilities are to recruit the best of the best of the best.

3am in the morning call: *ring!* *ring!*
"Hello Mrs Tatum... Sorry to wake you but I couldn't get through before 2:45am lol.... my name is coach so and so...I'd like to speak to your son about the posiblity of attending MY university this fall to start on our mens basketball team."

I don't condone begging but I do condone CLARITY and clarification of a position. ;)

I keep up with a ton of former TSU players who has kids playing HS ball now. One in particular dad played ball and mom played volleyball for us.

They post pictures and highlight videos of their son who is getting a lot of attention right now. They'll drive up to Baylor, UT, TAMU and blast photos on their facebook page of their visits to games with their son. So I posted on a photo the question that if they've taken their son to visit their alma mater. I got an "unfortunately not yet" response.

C, the thing is "we" don't believe our alma maters are good enough for our children. Even though these same schools have prepared "us" and given "us" the tools to succeed in this world we still get caught up in the hype. Truth be told they probably wanted to go to a PWC themselves but an HBCU was their only option. I still remember Bubba Smith whining about not being able to go to Texas.....I still shake my head.

Last edited:
Its real easy to talk to these aau kids as they play right in front of you at an event.......sadly though their coaches hate on you in seconds if they see that and alot of them went to hbcus

Some actually want you to talk but then you Gotta offer everyone associated with them a job, money, gear, Etc just for a shot at being in the top 5

Its real easy to talk to these aau kids as they play right in front of you at an event.......sadly though their coaches hate on you in seconds if they see that and alot of them went to hbcus

Some actually want you to talk but then you Gotta offer everyone associated with them a job, money, gear, Etc just for a shot at being in the top 5

Exactly. You gotta take care of the AAU coach, the crew, the family, the shoe companies, ect.

I guess I'm around the wrong AAU folks then. I guarantee thats not always the case.

yes it is, you want a high level kid that's not white that's the name of the game unfortunately...the powerful teams, not the everyday teams

I know several AAU coaches who got in to college cause of that

Right. And they are going to want to play "WITH" great or good players. Don't nothing discourage a great player more than playing with a bunch of mediocre teammates. Why would the #1 player in the nation would go and play at FAMU or Bethune instead of lsU? What players do FAMU or Bethune have? A great player wants some talent (-A to -B level talent) around him not some (-C to F level) talent.

Back