Votes: 5 50.0%
  • Sometimes

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Other

Votes: 1 10.0%

• Total voters

Deuce

Ballet Dress Code Subject of Public School Debate

Some angry parents are accusing Montgomery public school leaders of dancing around a serious issue. Concerned viewers contacted WSFA complaining about the dress code for dance classes at a local magnet school.

It was certainly a sensitive issue for the parent who wrote the letter, arguing that a school policy that keeps girls from wearing panties in dance class needs to be twirled into the trash.

Expert dancer Priscilla Ball with the Montgomery Ballet says, "The standard dress code is tights, leotards, ballet slippers and sometimes a skirt." And she says it's common practice for aspiring and professional dancers to go without undergarments.

The dress code debate was sparked by a letter criticizing a Baldwin Magnet School teacher for "forcing children not to wear panties" during dance class.

Cathy Wright with Montgomery Public Schools says the practice is done in any professional training program in the country. She insists parents are fully aware of the policy. The dress code policy states:

Students are expected to adhere to a dress code appropriate to the study of dance. Female dancers are expected not to wear underwear underneath their dance attire.

Wright says the dress code has a medical bases. She says research shows three layers of clothing, combined with the hour long dance classes, creates overheating problems for students and can lead to health concerns. She also points out that parents who don't agree with the policy can pull their child out of the program.

The following is a link to the entire article.

http://www.wsfa.com/Global/story.asp?S=1680190&nav=0RdDLD3O

This is not news. More commonly one need only look at panty hose.

Panty hose are designed for women to not wear panties. Still, most women polled (yes, there have been studies) still do to this day. The manufacturers of panty hose warn against it because of the possibility of "overheating sensitive areas can lead to health problems".

So, the fellas that have been dancing for years already know this. The fellas that CatDaddy is referring to won't get a chance for those dance classes because they won't be able to pass the audition to get in them.

Originally posted by dacontinent
This is not news.

dacontinent,

True, but it's "newsworthty" because we're talking about little girls as young as seventh grade, and possibly younger and the fact that some parents are upset by it. And I'm sure these parents already know of the possible health hazzards.

Originally posted by Deuce
dacontinent,

True, but it's "newsworthty" because we're talking about little girls as young as seventh grade, and possibly younger and the fact that some parents are upset by it. And I'm sure these parents already know of the possible health hazzards.

I'm not a poll guy and I don't have an interest in what is under other women's clothes besides my wife and daughter, BUT I do wonder what a poll of the women on this board would reveal what they wear and whether they know the possible health hazzards.

Poll

Originally posted by dacontinent
I'm not a poll guy and I don't have an interest in what is under other women's clothes besides my wife and daughter, BUT I do wonder what a poll of the women on this board would reveal what they wear and whether they know the possible health hazzards.

Well lets add a poll and see what happens.

:confused:

Can anyone explain what health concerns are they talking about? Create overheating problems? Like will something down there catch fire?

Originally posted by PLOW DOG
:confused:

Can anyone explain what health concerns are they talking about? Create overheating problems? Like will something down there catch fire?

YEAST INFECTION! :eek:

Back