NCAA D1 Football Playoffs

Nope, I really don't like the idea of a playoff. I LOVE the way college football determines its champion. I mean look at basketball, George Mason could very well be the National Champion, but they couldn't even win their Mid-Major conference. They give a good argument that playoffs are worth it, but the fact is they OVERPERFORMED against teams that UNDERPERFORMED one game.

The way football is now is PERFORM every game you play. Take no game for granted. There is NO PLAYOFF. If you are one of the TOP TWO teams in the nation, then you will play for the championship. We will not give you the opportunity to get it together for a playoff.

Would it NOT been a shame for UT & USC to end of 1 & 2 at the end of the regular season last year and NOT play of the championship because they got beat in a playoff game?

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
True, that is why if George Mason was in a power conference, they would not even be in this tournament, much less w/ a shot a a national championship. I love the fact that a cinderella gets a chance at the big boys, just not at the expense of costing them a championship. Play the big boys year round (sort of easier said than done, I realize).

Ralph said:
The NCAA D-I playoff champions the last 20+ years think it is.

ANY champion would, but what about the 1 or 2 who got cheated out of a home game or those who hosted and STILL lost money. Think it's worth it to them?

SU Jag 79 said:
ANY champion would, but what about the 1 or 2 who got cheated out of a home game or those who hosted and STILL lost money. Think it's worth it to them?
Who got cheated out of a home game and who hosted and lost money? Who is "them."

Jackson State in a number of cases Ralph. And didn't the champion before this past year (anyone know who that was? Shows how important it is.) later come out and say they won the title, but lost money doing it.

Da_Sperm said:
Nope, I really don't like the idea of a playoff. I LOVE the way college football determines its champion. I mean look at basketball, George Mason could very well be the National Champion, but they couldn't even win their Mid-Major conference. They give a good argument that playoffs are worth it, but the fact is they OVERPERFORMED against teams that UNDERPERFORMED one game.

The way football is now is PERFORM every game you play. Take no game for granted. There is NO PLAYOFF. If you are one of the TOP TWO teams in the nation, then you will play for the championship. We will not give you the opportunity to get it together for a playoff.

Would it NOT been a shame for UT & USC to end of 1 & 2 at the end of the regular season last year and NOT play of the championship because they got beat in a playoff game?
Dude your argument is totally backwards. The way the bowl system is set up to determine the champion, that is where one game determines the champ and one team can underperform/overperform. And it's so exclusive that it limits the participants to just 2 teams. The NCAA b-ball tourney, on the other hand, is not a case of one team over/under performing for just one game. Winning one game has NEVER won any team a national championship in basketball. In today's setup, George Mason has had to "overperform" against "underperforming" teams 4 times thus far, just to make it to the Final 4. They gotta do it 2 more times. The purpose of playoffs/tourneys is to determine the best. The best teams are able to play the best for 4 or more games. The Cinderellas are usually good for one or two wins. In the case of George Mason, maybe they are just that good. Maybe they underperformed during their regular season and conference tourney. Maybe they are playing now the way they were capable of all season. Bottom line is, even though we weren't familiar with GMU, they are good.

In a tourney/playoff format, there's not much room for argument for who's the best. When you had a chance and failed, what can you say? In the Bowl system, only 2 teams get a chance. Other teams are left to wonder.

And to answer the question of whether it's worth it to try a playoff, it probably is. Unlike I-AA, sponsors would line up to put their name on one playoff game. Networks would pay out the wazoo for the right to show games. They would still make money, just in a different format.

Da_Sperm said:

Dude, basketball and football are two completely different animals. In football if your athletes are BIGGER, FASTER, and STRONGER, you will win 90% of the time. The "little guys" of college football won't have a chance like they do in basketball. What a playoff would do is give the guys who finish the season in the top 10 a legitimate chance to fight for the national championship on the field where it should be determined. The current system only allows for two teams to have a chance at the championship. That's a disgrace.

Hell.............if a big time team plays that bad in a playoff and loses to a "little guy", then they DON'T DESERVE to be a national champion anyway.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Ralph said:
Who got cheated out of a home game and who hosted and lost money?
SU Jag 79 said:
Jackson State in a number of cases Ralph. And didn't the champion before this past year (anyone know who that was? Shows how important it is.) later come out and say they won the title, but lost money doing it.
Not sure when JSU got cheated out of a home playoff game (can you point it out?) but the 2004 D-I national champ James Madison was the first in D-I history to win the tourney by playing all four games on the road. Thus they did not host a game and lose money.

Back