N.O. Hornets could be gone for good

cat daddy

Hornets to stay in Oklahoma for 2006-07
But N.O. set for All-Star Game when team returns in 2007-08

Wednesday, February 01, 2006
By John Reid
Staff writer
After several days of intense negotiations, the National Basketball Association and the state of Louisiana announced Tuesday that the Hornets will remain based in Oklahoma City for next season but are likely to return to New Orleans for the 2007-08 season. And when the Hornets come home, they will bring a big gift for their hurricane-ravaged city: the 2008 NBA All-Star Game.

Full Story

I am very concerned about N.O. It is my belief that the "dupe" is on. I just hope by that all star time the city is back and old demographics are at the very least 75% similar. I was extremely disappointed in the "sweep under the rug" job that went on last night (state of the union). :smh:

They should have never left Charlotte. Maybe the people in Charlotte could see this many miles away.

JROCK said:
I am very concerned about N.O. It is my belief that the "dupe" is on. I just hope by that all star time the city is back and old demographics are at the very least 75% similar. I was extremely disappointed in the "sweep under the rug" job that went on last night (state of the union). :smh:
U noticed that, too, huh? :smh:

JROCK said:

It's nice that you are optimistic because I'm not. :smh: It will take years for New Orleans to come back and when it does the demographics will be completely different.
Right now, the federal government is playing the waiting game. Wait for people to establish their lives in other locations before even discussing just how to rebuild the city. Then, make more areas flood zones making it impossible for residents to rebuild there because they won't be able to purchase insurance.
After that, redevelop the area by allowing developers to purchase the land cheap and improve elevation levels to bring it up to new standards. Homes will be larger and more expensive. Condos will be built.
The demographics of the city and the local government will look totally different in 10 to 15 years. And professional teams that leave will be replace with new ones who will appeal to the NEW fan base created by redevelopment.

Mr. Tiger said:
The demographics of the city and the local government will look totally different in 10 to 15 years. And professional teams that leave will be replace with new ones who will appeal to the NEW fan base created by redevelopment.

It won't take that long. The city will be holding local elections in a few months. With Nagin sticking his foot in his mouth back on King Day, he has pissed away all of the white voters he had prior to that statement. (Keep in mind, Nagin didn't win with the black vote when he was elected. He only had 45% of the black vote. He had close to 80% of the white voters in N.O. when he was elected.) Mitch Landrieu, current Lt. Gov. has thrown his name into the hat to unseat Nagin. I would not be suprised if he wins.

jag4life said:
Charlotte didn't want their owner.

Exactly. It was the same thing that happened with Bud Adams and the Houston fans. Houston wanted football but not Bud. Same for Charlotte and George Shinn.

New Orleans even before the hurricane can't support a NBA franchise in my opinion especially when the product of the NBA aint all that right now. Alot of cities are not selling out their NBA arenas. NO is a Saints town first. Stern never wanted the Hornets there anyway.

CD, you're right, if Landrieu runs for mayor, he's all but assured the office. He has one of the most powerful political last names in the state, and definitely the most powerful name in New Orleans. His dad was the last white mayor of the city, and his sister is a senator right now, and he's the only real threat to Nagin.

As far as the Hornets are concerned, unless the NBA hard plan in place, and are willing to eat some of the losses that will surely come from the New Orleans market, I really don't see them being there for the long term. The team is doing well as far as W-L's are concerned, and they're playing to dayumed near a packed house every night in Oklahoma, City, I can't blame George Shinn for not wanting to return. I can also see how the fans in Charlotte turned on him though.

When he thought his team was going to be terrible, and that OKC was going to be a pit stop, he pledged he'd return to New Orleans tomorrow if they told him the arena was ready to go, and now that team is winning, OKC is proving more profitable than he thought, and the arena is ready, he doesn't want to come back.

Being a New Orleanian, the loss of the Hornets won't sting as bad as if the Saints were to leave, they're "OUR" team (that's for you Bartram), but the Hornets have been there for only 3 years, and in those years, the owner managed to alienate the fans by firing a popular coach who loved the city, and getting rid of top talent for nothing in return, while putting a schitty team on the floor.

My honest opinion, and thoughts are the Hornets should stay in OKC, and when the city is ready, award New Orleans a team that could be ours, with a coach, owner, and players who want to be in New Orleans.

I went to a "Bring Back New Orleans" meeting last week, and judging by the comments from the mayor, and the board, New Orleans will definitely be a major player in America again, and it's not going to take long. I think a lot of people are going to be shocked at what's about to happen down there.

NICE

Mr. Tiger said:
It's nice that you are optimistic because I'm not. :smh: It will take years for New Orleans to come back and when it does the demographics will be completely different.
Right now, the federal government is playing the waiting game. Wait for people to establish their lives in other locations before even discussing just how to rebuild the city. Then, make more areas flood zones making it impossible for residents to rebuild there because they won't be able to purchase insurance.
After that, redevelop the area by allowing developers to purchase the land cheap and improve elevation levels to bring it up to new standards. Homes will be larger and more expensive. Condos will be built.

I don't know where you got the idea that I'm "optimistic." Hoping and optimism are two different things. For the record and as a matter FACT, I'm extremely pessimistic.

D-NICE said:
I went to a "Bring Back New Orleans" meeting last week, and judging by the comments from the mayor, and the board, New Orleans will definitely be a major player in America again, and it's not going to take long. I think a lot of people are going to be shocked at what's about to happen down there.

NICE

I hope that you are right. However, I looked and listened to Blanco, Mary Landrieu, Jindal and Vider closely last night. In addition to the measley dollar figure that Dubya threw out last night. I did NOT like what I saw or heard. The federal government has to commit much more money to people with insurance deficiencies. My comment about the "dupe" is in relations to the preceding statement. Most of that money issued has been earmarked for different project that would not help retain the pre-Katrina demographics. BTW, Mitch appears to be a fair guy, but I do NOT trust Moon's family. After that number Mary pulled on Cleo, I still have disdain and a very bad taste in my mouth. The number she pulled is the epitome of a "dixiecrat."

I hope the Hornets are not gone for good. I heard on a sports talkshow that there are rumors that NO will draft Matt Leiner but the deal is that he plays with NO in NO for one year and the team will be moved to LA. However, Tom Benson is suppose to sell to an a California group.

Back