MVSU Signing Class of 2016

Who was the SWAC Freshman of the year? Who lead the conference in interceptions? Somebody had to recruit them right???

Good points. There is no doubt that Comegy can recruit. If you really take the time look at what he has brought to Valley in three classes vs the budget, you have to give him his credit as a damn good recruiter. As someone has already pointed, the types of players that Valley is seeing in the RC era is a big upgrade compared to the kids who have signed in the past. Thompkins is a star recruit that Valley really shouldn't have landed. He had better offers, and all of the schools who recruited him had better facilities. Someway/somehow, RC got him to sign with Valley along with that kid from (the loaded) New Orleans.

While I am known to respect RC's recruiting and will to win, the difference with me an other Comegy believers is the fact that I feel that he has to walk into a good situation to start winning earlier than expected. Tuskegee and Jackson State had depth on ther roster when he arrived. Valley is a tough project. He could very well be in over his head in a mouse trap. While Valley is bringing in better recruits chip by chip, the rest of the SWAC East has been reloading each year. There is a difference between a program that is 3 years away from competing vs a program that is 3 players away. Valley is in a tough spot.

Good points. There is no doubt that Comegy can recruit. If you really take the time look at what he has brought to Valley in three classes vs the budget, you have to give him his credit as a damn good recruiter. As someone has already pointed, the types of players that Valley is seeing in the RC era is a big upgrade compared to the kids who have signed in the past. Thompkins is a star recruit that Valley really shouldn't have landed. He had better offers, and all of the schools who recruited him had better facilities. Someway/somehow, RC got him to sign with Valley along with that kid from (the loaded) New Orleans.

While I am known to respect RC's recruiting and will to win, the difference with me an other Comegy believers is the fact that I feel that he has to walk into a good situation to start winning earlier than expected. Tuskegee and Jackson State had depth on ther roster when he arrived. Valley is a tough project. He could very well be in over his head in a mouse trap. While Valley is bringing in better recruits chip by chip, the rest of the SWAC East has been reloading each year. There is a difference between a program that is 3 years away from competing vs a program that is 3 players away. Valley is in a tough spot.

Umm when rick first came to jsu he signed 50 ppl so no he didn't have depth here. He screwed our apr and cut a lot of folks. Rick's biggest issue is his staff. A HC is only as good as his assistants and comegy has a whole lot of former jsu players over there with little experience. Just look at his coordinators lol Hayes left when he got the chance. Plus rick doesn't really know anything about the offensive side of the ball.

Umm when rick first came to jsu he signed 50 ppl so no he didn't have depth here. He screwed our apr and cut a lot of folks. Rick's biggest issue is his staff. A HC is only as good as his assistants and comegy has a whole lot of former jsu players over there with little experience. Just look at his coordinators lol Hayes left when he got the chance. Plus rick doesn't really know anything about the offensive side of the ball.
He signed 56 to be exact. And that number doesn't include the transfers that he brought in over the summer like Eric Haw and some others.

The only reason, Im okay with Valley being in the SWAC (instead of D2 where they belong) is that we have an easy team to beat up on in the EAST and we get to keep the championship game. If they leave, chances are, we cancel Houston and unless TNState wants to come in, there is no viable team for us to replace them with.

Trigger man where are you?

Add Cory Harden to my list of "I told you so" behind Boykin. Harden is another impressive pick up for Comegy. He had about 4 or 5 FBS offers. He will help ya'll in the trenches. I don't think Valley has ever had this many star rated players in his era of the FCS.

Got to give him props for putting this class together after a horrendous year. Now, he is going to have to find a way to start winning some games in order to keep these type of kids coming in. Year 3 is always the year that tells everyone if a program is going to be able to be a consistent winner or contentder.

Yeah base, that was a good pick up by Rick. I also agree that the W's are needed this season after such a good class. Nobody is expecting a title run, but Valley needs to at least win a few games. He has too many kids on his roster now that come from winning high school programs. I know he needs time, but people need to see a new Valley this season.

Our biggest problem was along the offensive and defensive line. We let a couple games get away from us in the 4th quarter, another sign of a team that lacks depth. If we can get quality play along the line of scrimmage we will be alright. I am cool with our young talent at our skill positions.

You have one of the best Oline coaches in the business in Black. He should probably have gotten a crack at OC.

You have one of the best Oline coaches in the business in Black. He should probably have gotten a crack at OC.
You are right about Black. I think Valley will be improved in the trenches in 2016. However, I didn't expect them to play so poorly last season.

h

We didn't have depth our roster when he arrived. He came after Bell and recruited 55 new players. But that was pre-APR. If we had hired Comegy in 2003 when he was begging for the job, our talent level would have been unfair because he would have inherited Kent and Company and THEN he would brought in 15-20 transfers because honestly, our talent level had dropped at the end our the Hughes era. We had a good first string but that was it.

Also, Comegy is a top notch recruiter BUT Comegy cannot coach. He lives on talent. At Valley, he can't get enough good recruits nor can they afford good coaches for him. If UAPB or AAMU had any sense, they would be after Comegy while he still has some gas in the tank.

Comegy would be a machine at AAMU. He loves to recruit Atlanta and he'd be back in AL with more resources at his disposal. That could be deadly. Of course, he'd find a way to coach himself out of a championship, but at least his teams would be right there in the mix.

h

We didn't have depth our roster when he arrived. He came after Bell and recruited 55 new players. But that was pre-APR. If we had hired Comegy in 2003 when he was begging for the job, our talent level would have been unfair because he would have inherited Kent and Company and THEN he would brought in 15-20 transfers because honestly, our talent level had dropped at the end our the Hughes era. We had a good first string but that was it.

Also, Comegy is a top notch recruiter BUT Comegy cannot coach. He lives on talent. At Valley, he can't get enough good recruits nor can they afford good coaches for him. If UAPB or AAMU had any sense, they would be after Comegy while he still has some gas in the tank.

Interesting. Thanks for informing me. I could be wrong, but I just can't believe that he is that bad of a coach. Even if he is, he had a winning record vs everyone in the SWAC besides Grambling while he was at JSU. It doesn't take a great coach to win games in the SWAC.

Comegy is a good recruiter and knows to sneak around and grab a diamond in the rough. In his first 3 classes at Valley, Comegy was able to sign a few players who their last few coaches wouldn't have a prayer to land. There is no way those coaches would have gotten a kid to commit to Valley over any FBS school offers. Comegy has done it, but now, he really needs to start winning if he wants to keep doing it.

Interesting. Thanks for informing me. I could be wrong, but I just can't believe that he is that bad of a coach. Even if he is, he had a winning record vs everyone in the SWAC besides Grambling while he was at JSU. It doesn't take a great coach to win games in the SWAC.

Comegy is a good recruiter and knows to sneak around and grab a diamond in the rough. In his first 3 classes at Valley, Comegy was able to sign a few players who their last few coaches wouldn't have a prayer to land. There is no way those coaches would have gotten a kid to commit to Valley over any FBS school offers. Comegy has done it, but now, he really needs to start winning if he wants to keep doing it.

Comegy knows how to beat a bush! lol The key to his good JSU teams was that he had a keen sense for good DTs. Give Comegy two good DTs and that sorry azz defense he runs will be boss!

Comegy almost reeled in a JUCO recruit at QB named Austin Bray. And, he was White, @JSU/99 LOL. The kid was ready to commit until he got to Itta Beena and saw the campus. I think that was the biggest blow to Comegy's recruiting class. I looked at his JUCO and high school tape (I think he played a year at E. Michigan) and he's legit. He would've instantly made Valley a 5-win team, at least. That was a tough loss.

*whistling* #WhatLoss #BrayIsADeltaDevil

JSU/99 said:
Wow...Comegy is damn near un-beatable when he has a white QB. The entire SWAC dodged a bullet.

Well, we shall see how it goes.

You have to admit JSU99, Comegy pulled of a very impressive class to say Valley only won 1 game last season. Having this many kids that had other offers on his roster is something we really don't see from Valley.

With that being said, Comegy has to start winning.

Well HBCU world, Mississippi Valley finally has a legit Division I quarterback on their roster. That kid has a serious arm, and knows how to move around the pocket. He has been to plenty of camps, and has gotten experience on the JUCO and Military Prep level. Rick has gotten him a much needed signee at Valley. A seasoned quarterback with plenty of experience post senior year high school. Lane Kiffin was high on this kid when he was at SC, but an late season injury dragged him down the recruiting hype list. I read somewhere that San Diego State and Wyoming were interested in him as well. Comegy and his staff are most likely fired up.
Now we just have to see if that offensive line has improved because they have been awful for a long time now. Bray is better than the Slade Jarman and will most likely start. To be fair, Jarman is actually good enough to get Valley points. What happened to Slade being redshirted?

Searching the world for a QB with a story to tell seems to be another trick up Comegy's recruiting bag. He reeled in James at Tuskeegee, Therriault at Jackson State, and now he has Bray at MVSU. Good luck Valley. You have a QB with a cannon.

Last edited:
Back