MVSU Releases 2016 Football Schedule

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
How we schedule should be depicted by our situation. Valley NEEDS to play four SIAC schools next year. They are just a glorified D2 team. They need confidence.

Naw man. Not 4, but they need to schedule at least 1.

If I were calling the shots at Valley, my non conference schedule look something like this every year.

Ball State, VMI, Morehouse,
Stillman, Umass, Valparaiso,
Savannah State, Johnson C Smith, Charlotte

Last edited:
Naw man. Not 4, but the need to schedule at least 1.

If I were calling the shots at Valley, my non conference schedule look something like this every year.

Ball State, VMI, Morehouse,
Stillman, Umass, Valparaiso,
Savannah State, Johnson C Smith, Charlotte

No.. they need to schedule 4 and hope to beat 2-3. ..and why would they play those schools that are far away? JC Smith? Savannah State? UMass? Valparaiso? They need to stay regional so their fans can support them.

No.. they need to schedule 4 and hope to be 2-3. ..and why would they play those schools that are far away? JC Smith? Savannah State? UMass? Valparaiso? They need to stay regional so their fans can support them.
Savannah is too busy stripping for checks from FBS powerhouse programs to schedule a game vs Valley. Valpo wouldn't mind scheduling Valley. JC Smith, Concordia (who beat Valley in their last meeting), and Morehouse would travel to the Delta for a game on the same field Jerry Rice played on. I agree that Valley should play just 1 opponent below FCS a year until the build a winning culture. Comegy needs to show some improvement this year. I really like Valley's last two classes.

So you play EMU on a Friday? hmmm

It was a Saturday game but when they moved it up to Sept. 2 I knew it would be on either ESPNU/ESPN3.

I think we'll be on TV one more time this year (I will assume either the AAMU or PV games could be moved to Thursday or some team (other than JSU) will move their home game with us up)

Chris Creighton of EMU and Rick Comegy both have only won 3 games as head coaches at these two Divison I programs in 3 years. Both are in the same boat. They come from winning programs and have adopted a reputation of turning programs around. Both programs bring back experience on both sides of the ball and will have major experience on the O line.

This was a great FCS vs FBS scheduled game for both programs. Valley couldn't have found a safer FBS programs to play.

Chris Creighton of EMU and Rick Comegy both have only won 3 games as head coaches at these two Divison I programs in 3 years. Both are in the same boat. They come from winning programs and have adopted a reputation of turning programs around. Both programs bring back experience on both sides of the ball and will have major experience on the O line.

This was a great FCS vs FBS scheduled game for both programs. Valley couldn't have found a safer FBS programs to play.
Means nothing... Valley has absolutely no chance of coming within 7 touchdowns of this team

Means nothing... Valley has absolutely no chance of coming within 7 touchdowns of this team

+1. No disrespect to Valley but they are a D-I FBS squad, regardless of their alleged sorry record. They have D-I FBS caliber football players up and down their roster.

I agree that this is the safest FBS opponent for Valley. It's sure in the hell safer than playing against Michigan or Iowa. At least Valley has a better shot at doing some things well on the field. It would be nice to see Comegy play them tough, but he never seemed to be the type of coach to play to win against FBS teams.

When JSU played Tulane, I was told that their starting QB was actually cleared to play, but Comegy sat him out. With the way JSU's O line manhandled Tulane, I think the result would have been different had a veteran QB lined up against the Green Wave. I think the Mississippi State game could have been closer as well had Comegy made different decisions as well.

In this match up, Comegy needs to at least allow Valley to go full force with what they have. I might not be enough to win, but it could easily be the difference between a 63-0 blowout and a respectable loss. If Valley just so happens to show improvement from last season and lose to EMU by a 35-21 type score, the program will be headed in the right direction.

Valley couldn't have found a safer FBS programs to play.

I said last year before the schedule even came out that we needed to play a school like Eastern Michigan and Kee made it happen. I'm a realist. Valley might need the money but we don't need to play any teams above the Sun Belt or bottom tier C-USA/MAC schools. If Comegy in his 3rd year can score 2-3 TDs on a bad FBS team, that's a win.

I'm not wearing rose colored glasses and heavily overrating my team. People worrying about Valley getting smoked by 7 TDs when they better hope Tulane, ULM, Rice or Texas A&M (yeah THAT Texas A&M not Texas A&M-Kingsville or Texas A&M-Corpus Christi) don't pull their starters in the 2nd quarter with a 42-0 lead.

EMU's O line will be big. They will be tough to deal with. They have a running back who is pretty good as well. After looking at their 2016 preview, they bring back plenty of starters. Their defense wasn't good last season and they will break in a new DC who is the trashing their 3-3-5 scheme. EMU is a FBS program, but there are at least 5 HBCU programs who would give them hell or even beat them.

Last edited:
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
+1. No disrespect to Valley but they are a D-I FBS squad, regardless of their alleged sorry record. They have D-I FBS caliber football players up and down their roster.

FIU had D-I FBS caliber players before Cookman beat them. A&T would beat EMU by at least 2 scores. Cookman, NCCU, Alcorn, Grambling, SCSU, and PV would all have a great shot at beating EMU as well.

Nobody said that Valley will win, but they can't go into this game thinking they are playing Notre Dame. EMU is a weak FBS program that any SWAC or MEAC school should attempt to beat instead of giving up when the schedule is put out.

People don't truly understand the talent gap. Yes, Valley will get skull-drug unless they call the dogs off early, but none of the SWAC schools would leave that game with a "W", IMHO.

Reactions: J C
People don't truly understand the talent gap. Yes, Valley will get skull-drug unless they call the dogs off early, but none of the SWAC schools would leave that game with a "W", IMHO.

I don't think you truly understand that talent gap between weak FBS programs and FCS teams. I watched Morgan State give EMU pure hell in 28-31 loss in 2014. In fact, Morgan should have won that game. That same Morgan State team got murdered by NCA&T 45-0. Howard lost to EMU by 10 points the year before that. Yes, EMU is a FBS program, but they are a weak program. We (SWAC folks) have to get out of bending over before kickoff just because someone has "FBS" on their face. Do you think SU giving ULM or Tulane a decent game is out of the question?

I don't see Valley winning this game, but they could at least attempt to play for a W against this MAC doormat. I think it's crazy to say that no SWAC team could beat EMU when their sideline is loaded with 2 star recruits from the snow. Have you ever seen EMU play? Trust me, they are no Clemson or Michigan.

Back