The NBA one-and-done rule maybe coming to an end and NCAA Transfer Portal Rules

Lenny Cooke done turned into basketball's Willie Lynch Letter.

NOBODY wants to talk about him and how fast everyone RAN from him when he didn't get drafted. The same with so many others like him.
Why can't the NBA do like Baseball or Hockey? Have a farm system that kids can play in, get paid and at least have an environment to play.

What would this do to Lavar Ball's league?

It should do nothing but be another venue for players who can't make it to college because of grades or get kicked out of school. Heck it will probably be a player for high school DROPOUTS basketball players too.

If it can help get more kids who WANT an education and play sports in college versus one and done and Pookie who brings down APR scores-the better. If it can help fix the quality of SWAC basketball to the the point we don't have 90% of the league 0-20 before conference play-the better.

Reactions: J C

I see the NBA going with the baseball model but cutting it down to 2 years instead of 3 if they decide to go to college. But I hope eventually the NCAA will either willing or be forced to abandon the amateurism model and allow these young men an women to profit from their own image and likeness while they are in school.

I see the NBA going with the baseball model but cutting it down to 2 years instead of 3 if they decide to go to college. But I hope eventually the NCAA will either willing or be forced to abandon the amateurism model and allow these young men an women to profit from their own image and likeness while they are in school.

Interesting point!

NOBODY wants to talk about him and how fast everyone RAN from him when he didn't get drafted. The same with so many others like him.
Why can't the NBA do like Baseball or Hockey? Have a farm system that kids can play in, get paid and at least have an environment to play.

It should do nothing but be another venue for players who can't make it to college because of grades or get kicked out of school. Heck it will probably be a player for high school DROPOUTS basketball players too.

If it can help get more kids who WANT an education and play sports in college versus one and done and Pookie who brings down APR scores-the better. If it can help fix the quality of SWAC basketball to the the point we don't have 90% of the league 0-20 before conference play-the better.

Except he'll now ONLY get the kids not good enough to go to the league. Why would I go play for Lavar Ball when I can go to the draft?

https://www.usatoday.com/story/opin...ix-college-basketball-now-collapse/596276002/

The NCAA established the independent Commission on College Basketball to recommend changes to a sport that is in serious trouble. I have led reform efforts across many disciplines, including corporations, government and academia. Meaningful reform can only happen if you get the incentives right – you must reward those who do the right thing; get the disincentives right – the sanctions must be strong enough to deter illicit activity and to punish it when it happens; and you must have a leadership that takes responsibility to lead and live under the reforms.

There is now a rare moment of consensus on what must be done. This week the Knight Commission updated their findings and expressed support for our Commission’s work – we welcome their updated recommendations and are pleased that we share agreement on the strategic direction. Here is what our Commission’s recommendations are intended to do.

• Permitting student-athletes to consult agents or other professionals in order to better assess their prospects. This is happening under the table right now and should be brought above board.

• And as soon as the legal framework is clear, developing a new policy on name, image and likeness. NCAA policy is inconsistent on this matter. Olympians already enjoy an exemption and there are other case-by-case exceptions. It should be possible to develop a legally compliant approach that allows student athletes from all sports to benefit.
Smart recommendations

Flexibility for going pro and getting a degree
Updated Aug. 8, 2018

Basketball student-athletes have more freedom and flexibility to decide about going pro or getting a college education, and they can receive financial assistance if they leave school early and wish to return later to finish their degree. Changes include:

Read rest of story here

A memo circulated to member schools late this week clarified that the NCAA will not prevent multi-time transfers from competing in the 2024 college football season.

The move comes after attorneys general from seven states challenged the NCAA's year-in-residence rule and the courts ruled in the states' favor. U.S. District Judge John Preston Bailey issued a temporary restraining order allowing all multi-time, undergraduate transfers to play immediately during a 14-day period. In an effort to bring order to the new Transfer Portal world, the NCAA had been denying the "overwhelming majority" of appeals for immediate eligibility from multi-time transfers.

That's why it's not crazy that tsu hasn't hired anyone yet - with this ruling this makes the portal even thicker but at the same time it opens the door for the guys you thought were safe due to the one time transfer to bounce overnight

Ncaa has gotten so soft over the past 5 years it's crazy - no more rules

I wonder how ARP is going to work, as you know those transferring multiple times are not going to graduate before their eligibility expires. Many schools have a rule of only excepting some many transfer credits from other schools and in other case a student must complete half of their degree credit at the school they want to graduate from.

All of this is gonna reduce Black male college graduation success LOL

And how does this mix with the federal government's satisfactory academic progress guidelines?

We've been through it since the portal has started

But we gotta watch internally as we have players who will literally use you to get to their next step by sending practice film to others, etc. if someone promises them a spot before the semester is over will they start faking injuries, throwing games, etc?

if I'm the top dog in the swac I'm raiding the bottom feeders if they have good players yearly

Still in favor of the portal because coaches can bounce after 1-2 years but this is just a sign of the times. Schools better fight for immediate changes to the APR rules as well

Still in favor of the portal because coaches can bounce after 1-2 years but this is just a sign of the times. Schools better fight for immediate changes to the APR rules as well
how many coaches really bounce like that?

but imagine if just 50 kids from all 110 or so FBS teams decide to move at once on a yearly basis?

the pressure now falls on the academic staffs, registrars, etc as now I gotta get a kid to send me 4 transcripts just to verify eligibility - and the head coach wants to bring in 45 kids who've transferred at least twice

there should be a rule in place that if a FBS team takes an FCS kid the schools receive compensation

the pressure now falls on the academic staffs, registrars, etc as now I gotta get a kid to send me 4 transcripts just to verify eligibility - and the head coach wants to bring in 45 kids who've transferred at least twice
Academics should have never been tied to athletics in the first place. The reason for this is that the NCAA didn't want schools taking random dudes off the street and using them in competition, which actually happened way back in the day.

Back