Michelle Obama to address graduates at Jackson State

MetroPhillyTiger

WASHINGTON, D. C (Mississippi News Now) -
http://www.msnewsnow.com/story/31640177/first-lady-michelle-obama-to-speak-at-jsu-graduation
As part of her Reach Higher initiative, First Lady Michelle Obama will deliver the commencement address at Jackson State University on Saturday April 23.

Echoing the call of the First Lady’s Reach Higher initiative, Jackson State University and the Jackson Public School District collaborated to form the first laboratory school in the Jackson area. Since 2013, Blackburn Laboratory Middle School has partnered with JSU in an effort to transform Blackburn into a highly successful middle school for replication and study of successful practices in the district, state, and nation.

A news release from the White House Press Office also says the First Lady will also deliver commencement addresses this spring at Santa Fe Indian School in new Mexico and the City College of New York.

Fantastic News! Can't wait to see the pic of the First Lady and the Queen on the stage! I wonder if it will be held at the AAC or Memorial Stadium?

Do universities have to pay for speakers or is it done for free? If it cost, how much is she charging JSU?

Do universities have to pay for speakers or is it done for free? If it cost, how much is she charging JSU?

Not sure.. I don't think she is charging tho. I think she is coming to JSU as a part of one of her educational initiatives.
I don't know how much speakers cost but about 10 years ago we paid an NBA Legend (can't call his name... lol) $30K.
I know that because he donated it back to JSU. I have not heard of any other figures.

Not sure.. I don't think she is charging tho. I think she is coming to JSU as a part of one of her educational initiatives.
I don't know how much speakers cost but about 10 years ago we paid an NBA Legend (can't call his name... lol) $30K.
I know that because he donated it back to JSU. I have not heard of any other figures.
As of May 10th, it will actually be 13 years ago. :)

That was my commencement. LOL

Lenny Wilkins asked for $30K to speak at our MLK banquet a few years ago. So we asked him what would be the Phrat discount, and he said that is the discount...... Needless to say, Bro. Wilkins did not join us in Orlando that day. LOL.

This year's graduates are gonna have a whole lot of family members. You have to have an invitation to get in right?
Nope. It's Gen Ad, just like the games used to be. If I was in charge, I'd give each graduate 4 tickets to give to family members. Anyone else would have to pay $10 admission. I can see an extra 15,000 people being in attendance for Michelle, alone.

My only concern about all of this is the mass exodus that will occur after Michelle speaks while the graduates are being announced.

I know that because he donated it back to JSU. I have not heard of any other figures

That was Bill Russell.

Yes, I was thinking the same thing! Her address/conversation and testimonial that was shared with the Graduates, State and Nation was indeed something special!

Last edited:
Michelle did the research, her Commencement address was appurtenant only to Jackson State.
mod.gif

Michelle Obama tells Jackson State grads voting power is real Michelle Obama tells Jackson State grads voting power is real

She noted that Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium, where she spoke under clear blue skies, was built in the 1950s and was only used by white football teams until 1967, when Jackson State and Grambling State became the first black teams to play there. She also noted that in 1962, the stadium was the site of "what was essentially a pro-Jim Crow rally" with University of Mississippi fans waving Confederate flags and singing a song called, "Never, No Never" to protest the admission of the university's first black student.

What a Speech!!!... I am so thankful and grateful that God has given me the opportunity to live to see the first African American President and First Lady of the United States share so much wisdom and love toward us. The JSU graduates of 2016 will never ever forget this momentous occasion in their lives. I hope they take everything she said to them on this day and keep it tucked away in their hearts each and every day and make a difference in their communities and in this world. FLOTUS is the best...we will never ever have another one like her and the President. I am thankful and I am so proud of JACKSON STATE UNIVERSITY!!! You represent us well...

Michelle Obama tells Jackson State grads voting power is real Michelle Obama tells Jackson State grads voting power is real

She noted that Mississippi Veterans Memorial Stadium, where she spoke under clear blue skies, was built in the 1950s and was only used by white football teams until 1967, when Jackson State and Grambling State became the first black teams to play there. She also noted that in 1962, the stadium was the site of "what was essentially a pro-Jim Crow rally" with University of Mississippi fans waving Confederate flags and singing a song called, "Never, No Never" to protest the admission of the university's first black student.

I was at that game, I was a Freshman; also this was the team that had the 11 draftees.

I was at that game, I was a Freshman; also this was the team that had the 11 draftees.

1. Tom Fuchess, OT, Boston Patriots (2)- (Round)
2. Sidney Ellis, DB, Cincinnati Bengals (2)
3. Doug Chatman, DE, NYG, (7)
4. John Outlaw, DB, Boston Patriots, (10)
5. Jim Holifield, DB, NYG, (12)
6. Harold Jackson, WR, LA Rams (12)
7. James Jackson, DT, Baltimore Colts (12)
8. Edgar Whipps, RB, Cleveland Browns (14)
9. Cephus Jackson, DB, LA Rams (14)
10.Willie Turner, RB, Washington Redskins (16)
11.Jimmy Smith (Sr), TE, Cincinnati Bengals (17)

http://www.footballdb.com/draft/draft.html?lg=NFL&yr=1968&rnd=17

Last edited:
Why did they edit out the songs by the Choir on today's edited livestream version of the Ceremony and Speech? OK, Nvm I see both versions are available on the JSU livestream web site! Probably best to start at the 58:25 min mark of the full livestream. The Choral selections and arrangements were also nice!

Last edited:
Back