MEAC's Minority Rule-In Historically Black Conference, Non-Blacks Fill Baseball Rost

Jafus (Thinker)

MEAC's Minority Rule
In Historically Black Conference, Non-Blacks Fill Baseball Rosters

By Dan Steinberg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, May 18, 2006; E01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/17/AR2006051702361.html

Tommy Stratchko plays first base and designated hitter for Coppin State University in Baltimore. His twin brother, Bernie, plays third base for the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Three years ago, when their mother Norma first heard the acronym HBCU, she had to ask what it meant. Today, when the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -- a collection of historically black colleges and universities -- begins its baseball tournament in Norfolk, Norma Stratchko and her husband will be in the stands and their sons will face each other on the field.

That two white twin brothers from La Plata would be starters for a pair of predominantly black schools is hardly even noteworthy in black college baseball circles. Only one of the MEAC's seven baseball teams had a majority-black roster this season, and nearly half of the league's players were white, according to interviews with coaches and sports information directors. At some historically black schools, the ratio of black players to white players is almost the exact opposite of the ratio of black students to white students.

"If you saw these teams without their uniforms, you wouldn't even know they're HBCU anymore," said Claudell Clark, who played and now coaches at Norfolk State. "We're just trying to recruit the best possible athlete we can get, white or black. We're not necessarily concerned with that."

The shrinking number of black baseball players is a much-noted trend that stretches across all levels of the game. Last season, 8.5 percent of Major League Baseball players were African American, down from 18 percent in 1991, according to the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport. In the 2004 season, just 6 percent of Division I baseball players were black, according to an NCAA survey, compared with 58 percent of basketball players and 44 percent of football players.

But on campuses that are often 85 or 90 percent black, the MEAC's baseball rosters are especially striking. At Coppin State, about half of the school's 30 white male students play for the baseball team. At league powerhouse Bethune-Cookman, about half of the school's 30 Hispanic male students do the same.

Coaches at historically black schools tell stories of attending showcase events for high school seniors and seeing just four or five black faces among 200 prospects. At their schools, the situation is reversed; white players on several MEAC teams said they're often the only non-black students in their classes and are easily identified as baseball players merely by walking through campus.

Re: MEAC's Minority Rule-In Historically Black Conference, Non-Blacks Fill Baseball

Jafus (Thinker) said:
MEAC's Minority Rule

At their schools, the situation is reversed; white players on several MEAC teams said they're often the only non-black students in their classes and are easily identified as baseball players merely by walking through campus.

Hmmmmm, thinking how this is how many blacks at PWC's feel. Those that are on the football, basketball and track teams.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
Re: MEAC's Minority Rule-In Historically Black Conference, Non-Blacks Fill Baseball

Fiyah said:
Hmmmmm, thinking how this is how many blacks at PWC's feel. Those that are on the football, basketball and track teams.
Curious. What Division I schools have only 30 black male students? Any I-AA? I know the HBCU mission but just wondering.

Ralph said:
Curious. What Division I schools have only 30 black male students? Any I-AA? I know the HBCU mission but just wondering.

Take a look at the ratio and the numbers will probably be comparable.

Fiyah said:
Maybe, don't know, do you? The article cited numbers not ratios though ("Coppin State, about half of the school's 30 white male students... Bethune-Cookman, about half of the school's 30 Hispanic male students..."). You said "thinking how this is how many blacks at PWC's feel." Question remains, what Division I schools have only 30 black male students? Any I-AA?

Fiyah said:

See this is where percentages piss me off. Yet, me personally, why is this an issue???? If a HBCU has a baseball with 100% white boys why should there be a fuss? We have I-A teams with all BLACK players. What's the big deal...let the kids play, white or black.

That's the problem with our society right now, we are so wrapped up in race than just enjoying the fun, that we are taking the fun out of sports.

Dr. Sweet Nupe,

See this is where percentages piss me off. Yet, me personally, why is this an issue???? If a HBCU has a baseball with 100% white boys why should there be a fuss? We have I-A teams with all BLACK players. What's the big deal...let the kids play, white or black.

That's the problem with our society right now, we are so wrapped up in race than just enjoying the fun, that we are taking the fun out of sports.

Unfortunately, one cannot just take "Race" out of the issue. From a historical standpoint it is reality. Further more once you understand the political issues day to day regarding the educational and financial disparity between many cultures in this country it becomes a serious issue of epidemic proportions. Last, one reason our HBCU programs are behind regarding athletics in general is because too many of our officials look at athletics, as if it is just a ?game?. Trust me, once you think about it and the sooner the better, you will understand that it is ?not? just a game. It is ?business?.

Jafus (Thinker) said:
MEAC's Minority Rule

By Dan Steinberg
Washington Post Staff Writer
Thursday, May 18, 2006; E01

http://www.washingtonpost.com/wp-dyn/content/article/2006/05/17/AR2006051702361.html

Tommy Stratchko plays first base and designated hitter for Coppin State University in Baltimore. His twin brother, Bernie, plays third base for the University of Maryland-Eastern Shore.

Three years ago, when their mother Norma first heard the acronym HBCU, she had to ask what it meant. Today, when the Mid-Eastern Athletic Conference -- a collection of historically black colleges and universities -- begins its baseball tournament in Norfolk, Norma Stratchko and her husband will be in the stands and their sons will face each other on the field.

That two white twin brothers from La Plata would be starters for a pair of predominantly black schools is hardly even noteworthy in black college baseball circles. Only one of the MEAC's seven baseball teams had a majority-black roster this season, and nearly half of the league's players were white, according to interviews with coaches and sports information directors. At some historically black schools, the ratio of black players to white players is almost the exact opposite of the ratio of black students to white students.

"If you saw these teams without their uniforms, you wouldn't even know they're HBCU anymore," said Claudell Clark, who played and now coaches at Norfolk State. "We're just trying to recruit the best possible athlete we can get, white or black. We're not necessarily concerned with that."

The shrinking number of black baseball players is a much-noted trend that stretches across all levels of the game. Last season, 8.5 percent of Major League Baseball players were African American, down from 18 percent in 1991, according to the Institute for Diversity and Ethics in Sport. In the 2004 season, just 6 percent of Division I baseball players were black, according to an NCAA survey, compared with 58 percent of basketball players and 44 percent of football players.

But on campuses that are often 85 or 90 percent black, the MEAC's baseball rosters are especially striking. At Coppin State, about half of the school's 30 white male students play for the baseball team. At league powerhouse Bethune-Cookman, about half of the school's 30 Hispanic male students do the same.

Coaches at historically black schools tell stories of attending showcase events for high school seniors and seeing just four or five black faces among 200 prospects. At their schools, the situation is reversed; white players on several MEAC teams said they're often the only non-black students in their classes and are easily identified as baseball players merely by walking through campus.

Don't even get me started on this Jafus.....................

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I ALWAYS WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate coaches selling their souls to win a couple of baseball games at HBCU's. Find some brothers.........they are out there. If you think otherwise, then send some people to watch the SWAC TOURNAMENT!!!!!!!!

i don't know how many brothers are out there playing baseball. the percentage in mlb drops seemingly every season. inner city schools don't have baseball programs in some cases, so it's not surprising that they hbcu programs stuggle finding quality black kids to play. the ones that can play get sucked up by larger programs. but that part is our fault. most of our schools don't invest in the baseball program so if a black kid has a choice between mississippi state and alcorn or jstate, who do you think he's going to choose? southern has been a consistant winner and recruiting strong but they've invested w/ good coaches and facilities...the rest of the conference is trying to catch up.

one other point. if we are competing w/ pwc's, exactly how do we expect to win when we recruit from a much smaller pool of players? we make up 12% of the population and we exect to get all of our athletes from that 12%, while the pwc's recruit theirs plus ours and anyone else they want. they have a much larger recruiting pool and a much better chance of getting quality players. it just doesn't make sense from a competitive stand point to only recruit the 12%. so I can understand if a coach, in keeping w/ the mission of the university, choses a black kid over a white kid who is similarly talented (though it doesn't feel right and I can't endorse that, b/c wasn't the point of civil rights not to be judged on color), but you have to go get the best players you can.....regardless of color.

the teams that have won in the SWAC field mostly black teams....most of the whites you see play in this conference aren't no way near the level of blacks. Look at Valley's team and then the ones that play for SU aren't even starters.

The black talent is out there and thanks to the internet it's easier to find somewhat but getting quality talent and developing it is the challenge. Esepcially pitching

Jafus (Thinker) said:
Dr. Sweet Nupe,

Unfortunately, one cannot just take "Race" out of the issue. From a historical standpoint it is reality. Further more once you understand the political issues day to day regarding the educational and financial disparity between many cultures in this country it becomes a serious issue of epidemic proportions. Last, one reason our HBCU programs are behind regarding athletics in general is because too many of our officials look at athletics, as if it is just a ?game?. Trust me, once you think about it and the sooner the better, you will understand that it is ?not? just a game. It is ?business?.

Jafus,

I understand the differences. My point is so what if an entire team is white. Should we bring set asides in to college athletics?

Should we created a type of HUBZone or LSDBE type of program? If so...we might as well start paying players a check every two weeks. Quite frankly things are not fun anymore.

WalkWitaPanther said:
Don't even get me started on this Jafus.....................

THIS SUCKS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

AND I ALWAYS WILL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I hate coaches selling their souls to win a couple of baseball games at HBCU's. Find some brothers.........they are out there.

What if white schools made the same statement?

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:
What if white schools made the same statement?
Don't you know that they have already made that statement in college baseball????

What planet are you from?????????

major095 said:
i don't know how many brothers are out there playing baseball. the percentage in mlb drops seemingly every season. inner city schools don't have baseball programs in some cases, so it's not surprising that they hbcu programs stuggle finding quality black kids to play. the ones that can play get sucked up by larger programs. but that part is our fault. most of our schools don't invest in the baseball program so if a black kid has a choice between mississippi state and alcorn or jstate, who do you think he's going to choose? southern has been a consistant winner and recruiting strong but they've invested w/ good coaches and facilities...the rest of the conference is trying to catch up.

one other point. if we are competing w/ pwc's, exactly how do we expect to win when we recruit from a much smaller pool of players? we make up 12% of the population and we exect to get all of our athletes from that 12%, while the pwc's recruit theirs plus ours and anyone else they want. they have a much larger recruiting pool and a much better chance of getting quality players. it just doesn't make sense from a competitive stand point to only recruit the 12%. so I can understand if a coach, in keeping w/ the mission of the university, choses a black kid over a white kid who is similarly talented (though it doesn't feel right and I can't endorse that, b/c wasn't the point of civil rights not to be judged on color), but you have to go get the best players you can.....regardless of color.
Man, :slap: yourself for making that kind of statement. If 95% of PWC's can field ALL-WHITE baseball teams, then why can't 95% of HBCU's field ALL-BLACK baseball teams.

Why the hell we gotta be the ones to be "politically correct" and say that "you should look for the best talent regardless of color." That bullisht. It could happen in a "perfect world", but the world I live in is far from perfect.

Until these PWC's start mixing in some color in their baseball programs, then we should keep our spots reserved for some good baseball playing brothas who dream of the opportunity to play college baseball.

Dr. Sweet Nupe,

Jafus,

I understand the differences. My point is so what if an entire team is white.

With in and of itself, it is not a big deal. But, reality of the socio-economic, political, and financial situations unfortunately dictate other wise.

Race Matters as suggested by Cornell West. Dr. West explores and outlines some of the more compelling social, political, economic, and even emotional dilemmas that were affecting and afflicting Black America in the early 1990’s in this book, Race Matters.

I believe many of these social, political, economic, and emotional dilemmas that continue to affect African-Americans must also be considered in the business practices as well as the academics and athletics of HBCU. This is viewed in the larger indicators for the quality of life regarding cultural performances and opportunities, school performances and opportunities, and the ability of branding learners of African descent at an early age as discussed in Cultural and Educational Excellence Revisited

Should we bring set asides in to college athletics?

???

Should we created a type of HUBZone or LSDBE type of program?

???

If so...we might as well start paying players a check every two weeks. Quite frankly things are not fun anymore.

That is the “Business of Sports!” (Athletics). Trust me Pandora’s Box has been open and now that it is out, it is not going back in. I deal in reality. Reality, as an educational leadership issue, suggests that such scenarios should be analyzed, researched, and studied.

Not just overlook as no big deal or the larger gap between state-funded and supported PWC and private PWC compared to state-funded and supported HBCU and private HBCU will continue to get wider in not only academic legislative policies, but the athletic policy arena, as well. I view it as a much larger and dynamic issue.

Finally, consider that "In 1999 there were 757,000 black men in federal, state and local prisons," according to the Autumn 2003 issue of the Journal of Blacks in Higher Education. "In 1999 . . . there were 604,200 African-American men enrolled in higher education in the United States.

Therefore, there were 25 percent more black men in prison in the United States than were enrolled in institutions of higher education. Today, black men make up 41 percent of the inmates in federal state, and local prison, but black men are only 4 percent of all students in American institutions of higher education."

We have many reasons to be afraid, but two that should cause the most alarm are the low number of black men in college and the low number of black men who are graduating from college.

Nationally, a mere quarter of the 1.9-million black men between 18 and 24 attended college in 2000, the last year the American Council on Education reported such statistics. By contrast, 35 percent of black women in the same age group and 36 percent of all 18- to 24-year-olds were attending college.

A grimmer statistic, according to the American Council on Education, is that the graduation rate of black men is the lowest of any population. Only 35 percent of the black men who enrolled in NCAA Division I schools in 1996 graduated within six years. White men, on the other hand, graduated at a rate of 59 percent; Hispanic men, 46 percent; American Indian men, 41 percent; and black women, 45 percent.

Where are the black men, why are so few on our college campuses and why are so few graduating?

African-Americans should be concern, if not afraid - very afraid (Maxwell, 2004)

For these reasons, I believe such issues must be studied and seriously considered regarding Saving the African-American Child and the overall scope regarding the mission and vision of HBCU institutions.

Maxwell, B. (2004). On campus, grim statistics for African-American men. St. Petersburg Times Newspaper.

Think About It!!

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop

Good info Jafus, I understand recruiting the best players but these teams don't even play well (Valley) has had a all white team for three years and has yet to produce any substanial wins or even come close to beating the top teams in the conferance (SU,Pv,TxSU). The shameful thing is, their in a state (Ms.) where black kids still play baseball. A lot of these schools hire white coaches so the coaches only recruit players who their comfortable with i.e. other white people. BTW VALLEY AND DOUG SHANKS SUCK:nod:

Dr. Sweet NUPE said:

Mabye because it's an

HBCU!!!!!!!!!!!

Yaw wouldn't be talkin' this we are the world mess both teams trotted out a 90% white football team for the Bayou Classic.

Back