Lincoln Football to Play Grambling State in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
and MB, our fans shouldn't have to think when it comes to playing Grambling. Jackson should be empty when we play Grambling. Compared to other schools, GSU is just "down the road". We should show up so deep that we are talking about moving it to Shreveport to handle the crowd. :lol: (since ya'll moving everything else)

Maybe one day.

Under Doug, Grambling has played against: C-USA champion Louisville in 2000, #3 ranked Portland State in 2001, #5 ranked McNeese State in 2002 and 2003, and San Jose State in 2003. Doug likes playing tough teams, but doesn't like to schedule FBS teams every single year. I am a fan of that.

It is no surprise that we lost to Louisville. That was expected. Nobody holds that against Doug. The win against Portland State was (I believe) the greatest win Grambling has had against a non-conference opponent in the post Eddie Robinson era. And Kudos to Doug, his staff and the players on that team at the time for the win against a FCS opponent. But what has he done since? Two losses to McNeese (one of which was a blow-out), an embarrassment of a loss to one of THE SORRIEST FBS programs in the country (San Jose State). And a win against a weak 2 or 3 win Nichols State team that he refused to play again after the 1st year (of a two agreement).

My argument isn't about playing FBS teams. I don't care about playing them. I want to play against team on OUR level. We have nothing to prove by playing against the VUL's, Concordia's and Lincolns of the world. Doug doesn't want to play against those teams...PERIOD.

Doug didn't seek after this game. The game promoter of the GSU/PV game, Al Wash, is the game promoter for this game. He asked Doug to play Lincoln at Lincoln AD's request. They want to play "G"reatness in KC, MO, bringing the best HBCU football team to the area.

I am sure Doug gets calls routinely from schools all over (large and small) about playing a game. And I am sure he doesn't agree to play them all.

Lincoln is an HBCU in historical value only as their predominately white and they average less than 800 fans a game if that..they won't draw based on their name

The game will draw if Kansas City fans get behind it and embrace the rare chance to see HBCU football but remember you have Kansas, K-State, tons of D2s, JUCOs and Missouri in the vicinity so you have to carve that niche out for them.

I have not gone to a GSU game since I moved to Philly but I was there when i lived in ATL and Hattiesburg. I was able to make the GSU game last year because I was in Mississippi anyway but I would assume that for most JSU fans, game depend on their home location. Most do Homecoming but behind that is probably Southern or the Southern Heritage Classic. I think the Grambling game is better when it's early in the season or at least mid October. Even though the attendance numbers for the game have been low, it always appeared to be an undercount to me. The crowd was great in 2000.. JSU came to take over. In 2002, it rained so you know how that goes. In 2004, I was in Philly but that was the game ya'll lost to ****. In 2006, JSU came again to take over and I think that is how it should be every year. GSU and JSU have too much history for this game not to do well in Grambling. In Jackson, any game that starts before 3 or 4 PM is doomed to fail. We dont' come out that early and two JSU-GSU games have started at 1 and 2 PM including last year but we still had 20K fans there. It was kinda cold for black folks but I still think if the game had started at 4, it would have been at least 5K more in the stands (and your band would have been on time).

I think JSU fans also thought GSU was too weak to come out to see last year. I don't know why our fans are like that. It's like they would rather come out when we have a chance of losing rather than when we have a chance of winning. The JSU-Alcorn game totally depends on Alcorn bringing a good team to the table.

Our fans are weird. Hard to get them amped especially when they get used to Grambling winning against the same teams.

My argument isn't about playing FBS teams. I don't care about playing them. I want to play against team on OUR level. We have nothing to prove by playing against the VUL's, Concordia's and Lincolns of the world. Doug doesn't want to play against those teams...PERIOD.

The best thing about Roy Culberson is that man could make a schedule and he never played below the 1-AA level. I was actually surprised that he played up and had us to play USM. He preferred that we played on THIS level. He was working on a home-home deal or a two year deal for the Georgia Dome with Georgia Southern before he got canned. I was on the committee when we played A&T in Atlanta and he told us then that he was not going to accept the deal to come back the next year (so A&T and SCState played). He said he wanted to either play GaSouthern there or get them in a home and home. Their fans on AGS (im not a poster but I read it) verified that the game was a lock for 2006 but Braddy cancelled it so we could play Paul Quinn. :lol: Culberson would not have cared about getting Comegy an easy win. He would lined his azz up against GaSouthern! We dont' have ADs like that anymore. Braddy was an AD who listened to Comegy when it came to scheduling and it seems that you all have that same problem over in Grambling.

Our fans are weird. Hard to get them amped especially when they get used to Grambling winning against the same teams.

You have beat JSU regularly but we ain't Alcorn or Valley either. When JSU comes there, we always come with a winning attitude and we take GSU to the wire EVERY YEAR. So it's not like your fans think they are just gonna beat us.

I am sure Doug gets calls routinely from schools all over (large and small) about playing a game. And I am sure he doesn't agree to play them all.

LOL.. right but he just so happens to answer the phone when UVL and Lincoln (MO) and Concordia call. :lol:

Man, I get pissed when GaTech schedules down. I don't understand this whole scheduling down thing.

You have beat JSU regularly but we ain't Alcorn or Valley either. When JSU comes there, we always come with a winning attitude and we take GSU to the wire EVERY YEAR. So it's not like your fans think they are just gonna beat us.

Yes they do. lol

Yes they do. lol

Yeah right.

Well we don't think we are gonna lose to ya'll. We were not raised like that. Even when TNState was beating us every year, we knew we would end that. We gonna end this GSU streak as well. I really dont' think people realize it's a bad as it is...but you better believe YOUR'E NEXT!

Yeah right.

Well we don't think we are gonna lose to ya'll. We were not raised like that. Even when TNState was beating us every year, we knew we would end that. We gonna end this GSU streak as well. I really dont' think people realize it's a bad as it is...but you better believe YOUR'E NEXT!

Are you speaking past tense? lol We are definitely not afraid. Have you all found a quarterback yet? Time is running out as far as continuity in the teams system.:read:

Last edited:
Are you speaking past tense? lol We are definitely not afraid. Have you all found a quarterback yet? Time is running out as far as continuity.

Had to first check to see if this was the sports board before I replied... :lol:

Every QB in the history of JSU football has had success vs GSU including Steve Haran.

Had to first check to see if this was the sports board before I replied... :lol:

Every QB in the history of JSU football has had success vs GSU including Steve Haran.

But your team chokes worse than a virgin hooker on her first time when they play us. I remember when JSU came to Robinson in 2006 talking all that noise about undefeated, we don't worry about yall on an up or down year.

:lmao::lmao::lmao:

LOL.. right but he just so happens to answer the phone when UVL and Lincoln (MO) and Concordia call. :lol:

Man, I get pissed when GaTech schedules down. I don't understand this whole scheduling down thing.

LOL. NO! He just happened to answer the phone when Al Wash called. I was sitting right there in Al's office when he called Doug. LOL.

Robert Kent / Trae Rutland played at JSU, right?
MB, how about the kid who transferred there from Louisiana Tech? He and Rutland were a mess of a duo. I'm not even sure he was a QB at Tech but he played the position at JSU. I don't remember his name but he was #13. As Charles Barkley would say, he was "turrabull".

Look I am not trying to encourage JayRob but did anyone else notice this fool go from call Lincoln a DII or III in one post to calling them a DIII or NAIA in another post some hours later...boy you are something studip got me :lol: at you...carry on

MB, how about the kid who transferred there from Louisiana Tech? He and Rutland were a mess of a duo. I'm not even sure he was a QB at Tech but he played the position at JSU. I don't remember his name but he was #13. As Charles Barkley would say, he was "turrabull".

Oh, you're talking about Moseley. I remember a self proclaimed recruiting "guru" getting upset with the staff for not taking him and then pissed because I said the staff was right. (They were).

Rutland visited GSU first, even had a big-time host but he felt he could not beat out Landers at the end of the day

The way Yoshida's defense went after him in that 2008 championship game worked out for all..GSU got JP Tillman instead that year and he wasn't ready for the SWAC outside of beating Jackson State :emlaugh:

Rutland visited GSU first, even had a big-time host but he felt he could not beat out Landers at the end of the day

The way Yoshida's defense went after him in that 2008 championship game worked out for all..GSU got JP Tillman instead that year and he wasn't ready for the SWAC outside of beating Jackson State :emlaugh:

All of those guys were "alleged" to be better than Dillon...NOT!!!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back