Lincoln Football to Play Grambling State in 2013

Status
Not open for further replies.
At first glance I thought you were talking about Lincoln in PA so I thought I might get a chance to see you guys play locally. Oh well...love Arrowhead Stadium and the Chiefs though.

I thought it was Lincoln (PA) too. Either would be sad but I would have gone to see GSU (if I wasn't on the road for JSU or Georgia Tech) becasue I have SWAC love.

I've been trying to tell y'all that Doug is AFRAID to schedule quality opponents. He will get a pass coaching against TCU, because they are TCU. There ain't nothing about this game to get excited about. There ain't nothing new about playing in an NFL stadium. Hell, kids play in NFL stadiums all throughout the country for high school championships every year...how the hell is this special?

Lincoln University? :lol:

Carry on!

Do you thang Doug! :tup: :lol:

Now If one of us said this, people would have a stroke and start all the JSU hating BS post. I said the same thing about JSU playing Concordia last year. I refused to pay my good, hard earned money to see that so-called game. :smh:

..and there is also a good reason why Robinson stadium is widely known for being empty.

You try to smack, but actually you are close to being factual. I see two factors to why our attendance (at home) is not what it should/could be.

#1. Distance of fanbase ... unfortunately, even our home games are road games. Most of our fans travel from at least an hour away...the Monroe area is a half hour drive but drop down to Alex and the CenLa area and it becomes closer to a 1hour drive... 2 hours from come parts of North Central La (like my home area near Natchez), 3 or more from Acadiana and Lake Charles, 4 to 5 for BR and New Orleans. The alums in the Hammond area have even further! Is that an excuse...no, but it is a factor.

#2. Attractive Opponents... It really shouldn't matter, but even the teams we play (the nine game mandate) that have traditionally drawn well don't bring many fans anymore. Alcorn and JSU were always good draws for us... but outside of nostalgia and wanting to see a Gram game of "some" interest, our fanbase don't get excited about these games. Apparently, neither do their fans. JSU fans used to pack the visitors side...now on that weekend, they mostly stay in Jackson and await the usual news. Look at the attendance when we come there... JSU and Alcorn side isn't packed as it once was. Alcorn, I can understand because of the relative lack of success (especially compared to the Casem years) but JSU has been winning (at least against other folk). Your fans come out for the SU game, but not GSU... Kinda odd considering that one would think your fans would be more excited about a team that consistently comes to your campus and win. Maybe that's the reason yall don't come... they may have given up and accepted that "I ain't gonna drive all that way and be disappointed".

#3. We need more in-state matchups!

JEFFERSON CITY -- The Lincoln football team will play Grambling State, one of the most successful historically black Division I universities, at Arrowhead Stadium in Kansas City, Missouri on September 14, 2013. Betty Kemna, Lincoln's Director of Athletics, made the announcement on Wednesday.

The game, which will be called the Kansas City Classic, was made possible when Truman State announced it was leaving the MIAA. The current football scheduling structure of the MIAA requires all conference teams to play an entirely league schedule. When Truman State, one of LU's scheduled opponents for the 2013 season, announced it was leaving the league, the MIAA made the decision to let teams fill the open date with an opponent of their choosing, allowing the Blue Tigers to schedule a contest against another HBCU.

"The opportunity to add an HBCU institution to the schedule was appealing, and then having the opponent be Grambling State was an even greater draw for us to participate," Kemna said. "I am looking forward to working with the (Lincoln) Alumni Association and the Greater Kansas City Alumni Chapter in having this Classic be a huge success."

Read more.... http://www.komu.com/news/lincoln-football-to-play-grambling-state-in-2013/

I thought LU was through with the SWAC, our game against LU was not pretty for real. They not ready for the SWAC and to play GSU of all folks is really bad when we played them we needed life flight to come get a player, if they got past the 50 I missed it, don't do it Gram you will hurt somebody

Honestly playing is KC is good in concept but the opponent is a VERY poor choice. I am not sure what the payout is but perhaps it makes it worth it. Otherwise, Grambling would come out much better playing a more regional opponent. ULL, SMU, AR State, McNeese, Tulane, etc. These match ups are more compelling and give Grambling more credibility in my visionary and prudent eye sight.

I thought LU was through with the SWAC, our game against LU was not pretty for real. They not ready for the SWAC and to play GSU of all folks is really bad when we played them we needed life flight to come get a player, if they got past the 50 I missed it, don't do it Gram you will hurt somebody

Is that Lincoln as in Abraham? If so take it easy on them Gram!!! (He was one of my favorite Presidents!)

MH, you go in Yech worst than you do any SWAC opponent.
LOL!
:lol:

yech really should be in FCS. Just think, TP already posted that their biggest attendance was for SCSU. Yech's ideal schedule would be Ga State, Bama State, SCSU, A&M, Jacksonville St, FAMU, Samford,

:lol::lol:They used to super size the frosty if yech actually won the game.

The Varsity shole didn't have to super size too many frostys. :retard:

:emlaugh::emlaugh:

The point was just that random folks come out to see HBCUs. Tryna stay on topic.. sheesh!

..all this hate (you know the rest)

BTW, look for that deal for me :snicker:

You try to smack, but actually you are close to being factual. I see two factors to why our attendance (at home) is not what it should/could be.

#1. Distance of fanbase ... unfortunately, even our home games are road games. Most of our fans travel from at least an hour away...the Monroe area is a half hour drive but drop down to Alex and the CenLa area and it becomes closer to a 1hour drive... 2 hours from come parts of North Central La (like my home area near Natchez), 3 or more from Acadiana and Lake Charles, 4 to 5 for BR and New Orleans. The alums in the Hammond area have even further! Is that an excuse...no, but it is a factor.

#2. Attractive Opponents... It really shouldn't matter, but even the teams we play (the nine game mandate) that have traditionally drawn well don't bring many fans anymore. Alcorn and JSU were always good draws for us... but outside of nostalgia and wanting to see a Gram game of "some" interest, our fanbase don't get excited about these games. Apparently, neither do their fans. JSU fans used to pack the visitors side...now on that weekend, they mostly stay in Jackson and await the usual news. Look at the attendance when we come there... JSU and Alcorn side isn't packed as it once was. Alcorn, I can understand because of the relative lack of success (especially compared to the Casem years) but JSU has been winning (at least against other folk). Your fans come out for the SU game, but not GSU... Kinda odd considering that one would think your fans would be more excited about a team that consistently comes to your campus and win. Maybe that's the reason yall don't come... they may have given up and accepted that "I ain't gonna drive all that way and be disappointed".

#3. We need more in-state matchups!

Excuses, excuses, excuses.:smh::smh:

I've been trying to tell y'all that Doug is AFRAID to schedule quality opponents. He will get a pass coaching against TCU, because they are TCU. There ain't nothing about this game to get excited about. There ain't nothing new about playing in an NFL stadium. Hell, kids play in NFL stadiums all throughout the country for high school championships every year...how the hell is this special?

Lincoln University? :lol:

Carry on!

Do you thang Doug! :tup: :lol:

Under Doug, Grambling has played against: C-USA champion Louisville in 2000, #3 ranked Portland State in 2001, #5 ranked McNeese State in 2002 and 2003, and San Jose State in 2003. Doug likes playing tough teams, but doesn't like to schedule FBS teams every single year. I am a fan of that.

Under Doug, Grambling has played against: C-USA champion Louisville in 2000, #3 ranked Portland State in 2001, #5 ranked McNeese State in 2002 and 2003, and San Jose State in 2003. Doug likes playing tough teams, but doesn't like to schedule FBS teams every single year. I am a fan of that.

You actually think that you're going to change SOG's mind? :lol: :emlaugh:

Excuses, excuses, excuses.:smh::smh:

When was the last time you came to a game in Grambling? The folk that used to come with you, they still come?
The attendance has dropped for that game regardless of where it's played... and the drop off can be seen on both sidelines.

I think your fans have gotten frustrated with the frustration of losing "again" and "again". No smack...but the truth is that the fanbases aren't up for that game
like in the past. I'm sure some of the locals come but even they (at both schools) have decreased. I have no empirical data, but I'm deducing that those JSU fans who
have to travel a significant distance make the choice of Homecoming plus either SU or GSU. Since most folks want to see a win, I'm thinking they choose to drive and see yall play
SU. I can't blame yall... I mean, why spend money for "more of the same".

When was the last time you came to a game in Grambling? The folk that used to come with you, they still come?
The attendance has dropped for that game regardless of where it's played... and the drop off can be seen on both sidelines.

I think your fans have gotten frustrated with the frustration of losing "again" and "again". No smack...but the truth is that the fanbases aren't up for that game
like in the past. I'm sure some of the locals come but even they (at both schools) have decreased. I have no empirical data, but I'm deducing that those JSU fans who
have to travel a significant distance make the choice of Homecoming plus either SU or GSU. Since most folks want to see a win, I'm thinking they choose to drive and see yall play
SU. I can't blame yall... I mean, why spend money for "more of the same
".

Ahh................. Not getting into this meaningless pi$$ing match but jackson State had just under 19,000 for Grambling. That is only about 4000 short of our 2011 season average that got us a 5th place FCS attendance average.

Doug didn't seek after this game. The game promoter of the GSU/PV game, Al Wash, is the game promoter for this game. He asked Doug to play Lincoln at Lincoln AD's request. They want to play "G"reatness in KC, MO, bringing the best HBCU football team to the area.

I was just thinking about that earlier: Doug wasn't behind it. Money talks also and college is a business and athletics has to make money so before anyone complains about scheduling, they should first get facts surrounding the scheduling of games but complaining is so easy to some and constant for some. If one doesn't like it, don't go to the game, plain and simple. lol

SU. I can't blame yall... I mean, why spend money for "more of the same".

I have not gone to a GSU game since I moved to Philly but I was there when i lived in ATL and Hattiesburg. I was able to make the GSU game last year because I was in Mississippi anyway but I would assume that for most JSU fans, game depend on their home location. Most do Homecoming but behind that is probably Southern or the Southern Heritage Classic. I think the Grambling game is better when it's early in the season or at least mid October. Even though the attendance numbers for the game have been low, it always appeared to be an undercount to me. The crowd was great in 2000.. JSU came to take over. In 2002, it rained so you know how that goes. In 2004, I was in Philly but that was the game ya'll lost to ****. In 2006, JSU came again to take over and I think that is how it should be every year. GSU and JSU have too much history for this game not to do well in Grambling. In Jackson, any game that starts before 3 or 4 PM is doomed to fail. We dont' come out that early and two JSU-GSU games have started at 1 and 2 PM including last year but we still had 20K fans there. It was kinda cold for black folks but I still think if the game had started at 4, it would have been at least 5K more in the stands (and your band would have been on time).

I think JSU fans also thought GSU was too weak to come out to see last year. I don't know why our fans are like that. It's like they would rather come out when we have a chance of losing rather than when we have a chance of winning. The JSU-Alcorn game totally depends on Alcorn bringing a good team to the table.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back