Leonard Mack is out

Fiyah

Administrator
Staff member
Local stations in Houston are reporting that TSU's Leonard Mack is out for the season after suffering a broken arm in the annual Labor Day Classic with PVAMU over the weekend.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsShop
I hate to hear this. Mack is a really good football player. Hope he rehabs and kicks butt for the Texans next year!

TSU says LB Mack done for season
By RICHARD DEAN

Copyright 2001 Houston Chronicle

Texas Southern football coach Bill Thomas said Tigers linebacker Lernard Mack's broken left arm will keep him out for the remainder of the season. Mack isn't so sure.

The All-Southwestern Athletic Conference senior said Monday he might be back on the field for the Tigers' last couple of games.

According to TSU's medical staff, Mack is expected to be out for eight to 10 weeks after suffering the injury in the first quarter of TSU's 17-0 win over Prairie View A&M on Saturday.

"The coaches are telling me they'll redshirt me," Mack said. "I think I could come back. I'm thinking of making a speedy recovery and helping the team."

Thomas said Monday he'll seek a sixth year of eligibility from the NCAA on Mack as well as fifth-year offensive linemen Kris Allen and James Broussard, who suffered season-ending knee injures in practice.

"Mack is coming back," Thomas said. "He's not leaving here until he gets that degree. Once he gets that degree, he can do what he wants."

Mack remains hopeful about an NFL career and hasn't decided if he would return for a sixth year or pursue pro football.

"I have a lot of time to think about it," said the 6-2, 225-pound Mack, who had 119 tackles last season. "Texas Southern has been good to me so I'd probably come back and finish the way I want to. On a (SWAC) championship team.

"I didn't hurt my legs. It's nothing major. If they're (NFL) still considering me a high pick, I'd take that option."

Mack, who had a sack in the first series of the game, broke a bone in his forearm. He was taken to Methodist Hospital, where a plate was inserted into his forearm.

TSU, 8-3 last season, expects to battle Grambling State and Southern University for supremacy in the SWAC Western Division. Injuries to Mack and Allen, preseason All-SWAC selections, and Broussard are major blows to the Tigers, who play at Texas-El Paso on Saturday.

"I don't anticipate any problems getting a sixth year for these guys," Thomas said.

Lenard Mack - out for the season?

Just read that Lenard Mack of Texas Southern was injured in the PV game and will be lost for the season.

Is this true?

Hopefully it's not , but if true, that means the both the SWAC preseason offensive and defensive players are out for the year.

I hate to hear this...

I wish him a speedy recovery and good luck to TSU on the remainder of the season. There is no "1" in team, so... Everyone else must pick up the slack.

Back