LA. Evangel is "getting worked"

JROCK

Preeminent
Week 1
ECA 7 Springdale AR. 35 (usatoday #14 ranked)

Week 2
ECA 10 Texas High 45

This week

ECA vs. Longview Texas

How the mighty has falled ( I am quite sure that they will take it out on the poor LA. 1A teams though....common sense would tell you that these boys should be in 5A)

They were REQUIRED to go down to 1A by some stupid state rule change that says no school can play UP anymore.

When OC John Booty left the program, some of that talent went with him. Look for Cavalry in Shreveport to be the powerhouse. Booty's youngest son is the QB he is a Freshman. Evangel will take more L's this season. They still have alot of talent, but not as much on the offensive side.

jag4life said:
They were REQUIRED to go down to 1A by some stupid state rule change that says no school can play UP anymore.

Not only that, they can't get those out of state players they used to get anymore. I think it was 3 years, or ago, they were told they couldn't get those type of players anymore, when they bought in a quarterback from Texas.

They were beginning to get like Oak Hill Academy in Virginia in regards to basketball.

NICE

jukebox89 said:
When OC John Booty left the program, some of that talent went with him. Look for Cavalry in Shreveport to be the powerhouse. Booty's youngest son is the QB he is a Freshman. Evangel will take more L's this season. They still have alot of talent, but not as much on the offensive side.

I noticed the decline since Booty left.

Super 25 football rankings

Updated Sept. 12, 2005

By Christopher Lawlor, USA TODAY

1. Lakeland, Fla. (3-0)
Previous: 1. Result: Averaging 33.3 points while allowing nine. Next: Friday at Cape Coral.

2. Hoover, Ala. (3-0)
Previous: 2. Result: Offense has hit 50 points or more twice this season, most recently in a 51-10 victory against Florence. Next: Friday vs. Spain Park (Hoover).

3. Poly, Long Beach (1-0)
Previous: 3. Result: d. Centennial (Corona) 49-27. Next: Friday at No. 17 Bellevue (Wash.) at Qwest Field.

4. Mission Viejo, Calif. (2-0)
Previous: 4. Result: Won its second game in five days, beating Jordan (Long Beach) 69-17. Next: Friday vs. Mater Dei (Santa Ana).

5. Southlake (Texas) Carroll (3-0)
Previous: 5. Result: Has outscored opponents by 135 points. Next: Sept. 23 vs. Keller (Fossil Ridge).

6. Lowndes, Valdosta, Ga. (4-0)
Previous: 6. Result: Won its 19th consecutive game, beating Meadowcreek (Norcross) 57-6. Next: Friday at Ware County (Manor).

7. Joliet (Ill.) Catholic (3-0)
Previous: 7. Result: Has outscored opponents 137-23. Next: Friday vs. Notre Dame (Niles).

8. Independence, Charlotte (3-0)
Previous: 8. Result: Extended winning streak to 81 games, beating Olympic (Charlotte) 45-24. Next: Friday vs. Vance (Charlotte).

9. Westfield, Spring, Texas (2-0)
Previous: 10. Result: Averaged 45 points in non-district victories against Cypress Falls (Houston) and Alief Taylor. Next: Friday vs. Memorial (Houston).

10. Warren Central, Indianapolis (4-0)
Previous: 11. Result: QB Dexter Taylor directs a run-oriented offense that averages 55.8 points and 417.8 rushing yards a game. Next: Friday at Terre Haute South.

11. Bishop McDevitt, Harrisburg, Pa. (2-0)
Previous: 12. Result: Super 25 RB LeSean McCoy has totaled 468 rushing yards and six TDs, pacing the offense. Next: Friday at Hollidaysburg.

12. St. Joseph's Prep, Philadelphia (2-0)
Previous: 20. Result: Beat then-No. 9 Neshaminy (Langhorne, Pa.) and St. Ignatius (Cleveland), both by 28-14. Next: Saturday vs. Gilman School (Baltimore).

13. St. Thomas Aquinas, Fort Lauderdale (2-0)
Previous: 14. Result: For the second season in a row, a game was canceled by a hurricane. Has outscored opponents 66-15. Next: Friday vs. Cooper City.

14. Springdale, Ark. (2-0)
Previous: 16. Result: Averaging 40.5 points, including a 35-7 victory against then-No. 18 Evangel Christian Academy (Shreveport, La.). Next: Friday vs. No. 23 Jenks (Okla.) on ESPNU, 7:30 p.m. ET.

15. Clovis West, Fresno (1-0)
Previous: 17. Result: d. then-No. 22 De La Salle (Concord) 7-0. Next: Friday vs. Granite Hill (Porterville).

16. Byrnes, Duncan, S.C. (4-0)
Previous: 23. Result: Averaging 62.8 points and has scored 60 or more three times. Next: Sept. 23 vs. Gaffney.

17. Bellevue, Wash. (1-0)
Previous: 19. Result: d. Mount Rainier (Des Moines) 35-0. Next: Friday vs. No. 3 Poly (Long Beach).

18. South Panola, Batesville, Miss. (2-0)
Previous: 21. Result: Has won 46 of its last 47 games, including a 40-10 victory against Germantown (Tenn.). Next: Friday vs. Carver (Memphis).

19. Hamilton, Chandler, Ariz. (2-0)
Previous: 24. Result: Defense has allowed 14 points, including a 41-0 win against Paradise Valley (Phoenix). Next: Friday vs. Tucson.

20. North Penn, Lansdale, Pa. (2-0)
Previous: 25. Result: d. Glen Mills (Concordville) 30-6 and Cardinal O'Hara (Springfield) 35-28. Next: Saturday at Archbishop Carroll (Radnor).

http://www.usatoday.com/sports/preps/football/poll/2005-super25.htm

The 5A schools were tired of them whipping their butts. John Curtis had to step down in classification as well. Schools, like W. Monroe, did not like these 'private' schools recruiting players and kicking them, escpecially in the playoffs.

In the meantime, schools like W. Monroe keep luring kids from S. Monroe to play for them.

Class 1A has changed since Evangel last played them..(although there is talk that the schools in their district will likely forfeit their games against them)...

Kentwood, West St. John's back in to 1A after winning the 2A state title, Oak Grove...Haynesville...

the 1A schools have gotten better..

BTW: The rule is that schools have to now play in the classes commensurate to their enrollments and not play up...so Evangel really as big as Kentwood while John Curtis has the same number of people as U-High, when it comes to enrollment..

Now, I know Southern Lab people are happy they didn't move up just to play boys' basketball. Cuz for damned sure, they would've been pointed out for basketball just like Evangel and JC was for football.

But...West Monroe? the LHSAA outlawed the holdback (intentionally keeping promising athletes in 8th grade to give them an extra year to get bigger). Guess who was the only school voting to keep it? It was West Monroe...

John Curtis has St. James, St. Charles Catholic and Riverside Academy in their 2A district, so it won't be the cakewalk everyone imagines (especially since the hurricane came through).

Jaguar94 said:
The 5A schools were tired of them whipping their butts. John Curtis had to step down in classification as well. Schools, like W. Monroe, did not like these 'private' schools recruiting players and kicking them, escpecially in the playoffs.

In the meantime, schools like W. Monroe keep luring kids from S. Monroe to play for them.

The whole thing came from Don shows crying azz. He got tired of evangel kicking his azz. He cried in the papers forever. What is he goin do when they get that 6A classification going. Evangel qb just stinks right now. They will win 1a but it will not be easy with their qb.

jag4life said:
It is my understanding that the logic behind the rule change is this. First, no matter how hard they may try, LHSAA does not have anywhere close to the manpower to stop these schools from blatenly recruiting. No one can argue that it was at ridiculas levels, so they tried to attack it from the other end. If you make a school play at its real classification, then it takes away some of the reason for athletes being recruited there.

It real simple in a way, for example Evangal is a 1A school that recruited its way into 5A. Now they can't do that anymore. So if you are a top athlete, do you stay at your "home" school and play against even competition or let Evangel recruit you to beat up on some 1A schools. Far from a perfect solution, but better than what was going on before.

Now, if you want to be a 5A school, you gotta go out and recruit the students to be one, not just the athletes to compete like one.

But Evangel was beating everyone back in the early 90's when they were 1A... and they were recruiting. I understand the logic, though.

jag4life said:
But Evangel was beating everyone back in the early 90's when they were 1A... and they were recruiting. I understand the logic, though.

Not only that, but they are playing interstate games not just 1-A. Last year they did Cali, Bama, KC among others. That has to be attractive to a high school student. I would like to see them come to Georgia and play some of the big boys.

GramFan said:
Longview 52 Evangel 14

LOL. I love it.

WHat happened at robert lavergne stadium last night?? I saw wossman play this year and i did not think they were that good. MY Chargin' Indians always seem to be terribly coached :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: Is the coach jsut stank or was an off night for the indians. Who they play next week???? I will btry to make it next week to one of their games!!!!!!!

JROCK said:
Not only that, but they are playing interstate games not just 1-A. Last year they did Cali, Bama, KC among others. That has to be attractive to a high school student. I would like to see them come to Georgia and play some of the big boys.
This rule wasn't just for Evangel, there were lots of other schools doing it also. It's not a perfect solution by no means, but they had to do something because the public schools were complaining to much (and in many cases rightly so) so this was giving a lot of steam to the proposal to just separate the private schools from the public schools.

Last year, they got worked by Abeline in TX Stadium.

Now, kids will stay at schools like BTW, Green Oaks and Fair Park instead of going to Evangel.

STC_60 said:
WHat happened at robert lavergne stadium last night?? I saw wossman play this year and i did not think they were that good. MY Chargin' Indians always seem to be terribly coached :shame: :shame: :shame: :shame: Is the coach jsut stank or was an off night for the indians. Who they play next week???? I will btry to make it next week to one of their games!!!!!!!
Washington-Marion has a new coach, an ex-Southern player and grad, named John Jenkins. I think he was a center in the mid-90s for the Jags. As usual, Washington-Marion has some pretty good talent but he walked into a situation where his best option at QB is a sophomore. The sophomore is a good player but last night he had a bad start which led to a 20-0 first quarter Wossman lead. The Lake Charles American Press article said Wossman's first score came after an interception of the youngster. Their second touchdown came after a bad snap on a punt at the 7 yd line and the third score came after another interception. Washington-Marion fought back to make it 26-20 but Wossman scored twice in the 4th quarter, the last on an 80 yard interception return for a TD.

I didnt go to the game last night but I like what the new coach is doing. He is going back to the wide open Robert Lavergne style passing attack. He also knows that his key man (the sophomore QB) will make mistakes and go through the usual growing pains. While he did throw 3 picks last night, he also passed for 195 yards and 2 touchdowns of 66 yards and 21 yards on 9 of 20 passing. I think your Chargin' Indians are about to return to their glory days. This head coach seems to have sense unlike that clown they had their before. By the way, the Chargin' Indians had their game with LB Landry game cancelled last week as a result of the Hurricane so they hadnt played in two weeks.

GramFan said:
Washington-Marion has a new coach, an ex-Southern player and grad, named John Jenkins. I think he was a center in the mid-90s for the Jags. As usual, Washington-Marion has some pretty good talent but he walked into a situation where his best option at QB is a sophomore. The sophomore is a good player but last night he had a bad start which led to a 20-0 first quarter Wossman lead. The Lake Charles American Press article said Wossman's first score came after an interception of the youngster. Their second touchdown came after a bad snap on a punt at the 7 yd line and the third score came after another interception. Washington-Marion fought back to make it 26-20 but Wossman scored twice in the 4th quarter, the last on an 80 yard interception return for a TD.

I didnt go to the game last night but I like what the new coach is doing. He is going back to the wide open Robert Lavergne style passing attack. He also knows that his key man (the sophomore QB) will make mistakes and go through the usual growing pains. While he did throw 3 picks last night, he also passed for 195 yards and 2 touchdowns of 66 yards and 21 yards on 9 of 20 passing. I think your Chargin' Indians are about to return to their glory days. This head coach seems to have sense unlike that clown they had their before. By the way, the Chargin' Indians had their game with LB Landry game cancelled last week as a result of the Hurricane so they hadnt played in two weeks.

Good i am glad we are going back to the robert lavergne offense!!!!!! Thoughts of Eddie kennison and Ceaser and come to mind. MEMORIES I TELL YA!!!!!!! Reese was decent was but it jsut did not work out for the long haul!!!!!!!!I heard all about hat clown they had there last year!!!!!!!

Are you keeping an eye on the Bball player for us uphere (Don't say his name of here ) :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:

Hopefully ill be home next week !!!!!!!

STC_60 said:
Good i am glad we are going back to the robert lavergne offense!!!!!! Thoughts of Eddie kennison and Ceaser and come to mind. MEMORIES I TELL YA!!!!!!! Reese was decent was but it jsut did not work out for the long haul!!!!!!!!I heard all about hat clown they had there last year!!!!!!!

Are you keeping an eye on the Bball player for us uphere (Don't say his name of here ) :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh: :emlaugh:
Funny you would bring him up. I read in that article I referred to in my previous post that is playing football. It said he made an immediate impact by making a tackle in the backfield but ended up getting ejected from the game.

Oh and Reese, I didnt like his style. With that kind of talent and the QBs he had, it should have had a wide open attack too but he liked playing that tight formation crap too. I was glad he left but then Mr.IWannaRunBakerHigh'sOffense showed up and things got worse.

Back