JSU's record enrollment causing housing crunch

MetroPhillyTiger

JACKSON, MS (Mississippi News Now) -

Jackson State University is celebrating record growth as students return this school year. But angry parents and students say they are paying the price.

Increased enrollment is great for the university, but some students began arriving this weekend to what they say was a chaotic scene when their rooms were given away.

Jackson State University officials expect a history making 10,000 students this year. There are housing accommodations for 2,800. Four hundred more than last year.

"We currently have about 200 students on a waiting list," said J.S. U. Provost Dr. James Renick. "More and more students want a Jackson State University education. Our freshman class is gonna be close to 1,500 and so we're really really excited about that . We're working with IHL to build new housing.

I understand the need for growth, but if you only have housing accommodations for 2,800 students and there's a need for housing accommodations for an additional 200 to 300 students, the school's executive administration and housing administration wasn't communicating with one another prior to the students reporting to campus. Something should at least alerted them that the needed to reserve additional accommodations, such as nearby apartment complex or hotel before the students reported to campus.

Something's fishy about this because even the new students were tweeting about how JSU still accepting houseing apps. The children was like they better have my room and some were even saying JSU had not given them housing assignments but did take the housing fee. So if the children knew it seemed like a few to many students for housing then I know the administration knew. Only if the state of Mississippi would stop hating on JSU we could have had a new dorm by now but just because JSU is closing in on USM they are hesitate to aid and n those efforts.

To be honest, this needed to happen. Now, when JSU continue to push for additional dorms, they should see the reason. I just wish there was a better plan in place to handle the displaced students.

USM is licking their chops.

I saw where some kids showed up knowing they had no housing assignments but just hoped to get a room. Also that some folks paid deposits but didnt finish the process. Happening all over the SWAC and in reality it is a good problrm to have. Enrollment is increasing.

I remember when GSU had to purchase a hotel to house students. This is good shit JSU because now it places pressure on state leadership to provide you all with more money!!!

I understand the need for growth, but if you only have housing accommodations for 2,800 students and there's a need for housing accommodations for an additional 200 to 300 students, the school's executive administration and housing administration wasn't communicating with one another prior to the students reporting to campus. Something should at least alerted them that the needed to reserve additional accommodations, such as nearby apartment complex or hotel before the students reported to campus.

Two years ago, we started using a hotel and renamed it Tiger Plaza. Last year, we initiated the purchase of an apartment complex adjacent to campus. It is now called University Pointe. THIS year, we are using the Sleep Inn directly behind campus. I am not sure of the future arrangement but I am assuming we are purchasing it or have a long term lease because it has been re-named Tiger Pointe. We have a dorm that is approved but probably won't be ready until 2017 or 2018. We also have a dorm on campus now that is not being used because it is being renovated. It should be open next year.

Thanks for your concern.

Two years ago, we started using a hotel and renamed it Tiger Plaza. Last year, we initiated the purchase of an apartment complex adjacent to campus. It is now called University Pointe. THIS year, we are using the Sleep Inn directly behind campus. I am not sure of the future arrangement but I am assuming we are purchasing it or have a long term lease because it has been re-named Tiger Pointe. We have a dorm that is approved but probably won't be ready until 2017 or 2018. We also have a dorm on campus now that is not being used because it is being renovated. It should be open next year.

Thanks for your concern.

Good shit!!! This is similar to what Xavier has been doing!!! I think by doing this it helps the neighborhood as well. I'm Deputy Tax Assessor in Lincoln Parish and La. Tech is doing this. The property value on the homes around Tech are increasing and the neighborhoods are becoming cleaner.

Thanks for your concern.

I guess something has to be done for those students who paid their deposit but still without accommodation. I'm sure you have it all figured out.

Its an embarrassing situation. Some say it's a good problem to have. I disagree. 11th and 12th grade students are watching. ... and so are parents.

It's good in the respect that it applies pressure to the state fund money. Lawmakers are looking at also. It's bad because parents would be like "damn my child has no where to stay."

Property owners if they were smart would sell! I know a guy who sold his house to Tech and laughed himself all the way to the bank and back. Also it's good because apparently JSU is offering something to have such a large increase.

It's good in the respect that it applies pressure to the state fund money. Lawmakers are looking at also. It's bad because parents would be like "damn my child has no where to stay."

Property owners if they were smart would sell! I know a guy who sold his house to Tech and laughed himself all the way to the bank and back. Also it's good because apparently JSU is offering something to have such a large increase.

Hypothetically speaking, this is where it's an embarrassment for the state. A lot of kids that stay on campus are out-of-state students. Lets say out-of-state fees are $1,000 dollars per semester and there's 3,000 out-of-state students. If the school can only accommodate 1,500 of those students, the state would be missing out on $3 million dollars annually in out-of-state fees. And this doesn't include other expenses out-of-state students would spend while attending school in the Great State of Mississippi. If jSU continue to grow at its current rate, the justification for new dormitory facilities shouldn't be an issue.

Last edited:
JSU students will get housing by the weekend
Clay Chandler, The Clarion-Ledger 6:21 p.m. CDT August 20, 2015
B9318529561Z.1_20150820192125_000_GG1BMDI8H.1-0.jpg

The housing gridlock that initially left more than 300 Jackson State students without a place to live during Welcome Week will be solved by the weekend, the school’s president said.(Photo: Special to The Clarion-Ledger)

The housing gridlock that initially left more than 300 Jackson State students without a place to live during Welcome Week will be solved by the weekend, the school’s president said.

By Thursday morning, 42 students who had registered for campus housing and were eligible to receive it had not yet received an assignment, Carolyn Meyers said during Thursday’s College Board meeting. Those students should be set by the weekend, she said. Classes start Monday.

“We’ve had some challenges housing people,” Meyers said. “We’re still working on it.”

Since the peak, Meyers said the university has placed 100 students per day in housing. She did not elaborate on what caused the issues. “There were things we could have done better,” she said. “Obviously, balls were dropped. Now the silver lining that you’re not aware of that I am is that everybody from every division has worked flat-out to serve our students. We’ll get back and make adjustments as needed.”

To handle increasing enrollment, Jackson State last year began leasing a 444-bed apartment complex adjacent to campus to house students. In January, the College Board gave the school approval to borrow up to $10 million to buy it. The school also began leasing last year a 244-bed hotel close to the Mississippi State Fairgrounds for the same purpose. The school pays $800,000 in annual rent.

In March 2014, the College Board gave JSU the go-ahead for a $48 million, 628-bed housing complex, dining hall and conference center on campus. That facility is scheduled for completion sometime next year.

JSU students will get housing by the weekend

Only if the state of Mississippi would stop hating on JSU we could have had a new dorm by now

Join in the group with Valley. One dorm down, 3 more still need to be reopened and waiting on the state for funding (but Gulfport got $25 million for an aquarium).

I think this can be seen as a good problem to have with growth at all of our schools. I think in a few cases students and parents didn't go through all the steps and want to complain either or social media or the regular media who is chomping at the bits to report negativity

Back