JSU raises nonblack enrollment, gains control of endowment

MetroPhillyTiger

JSU raises nonblack enrollment, gains control of endowment

JSU became eligible for the funds this year, its third straight year with nonblack enrollment greater than 10 percent. The amount more than doubles Jackson State's overall endowment. Recently hired Vice President for Institutional Advancement Anthony Holloman said JSU has about $15 million in its own endowment currently. The school was already receiving investment income from the endowment, and will still be barred from invading the principle. Investment income must be spent for academic purposes, including financial aid and faculty salaries

Last edited:
Alcorn State reached the 10 percent nonblack threshold and obtained investment control over its portion of the endowment in 2005. However, since then, its nonblack enrollment has fallen. Last year, the 6.4 percent of the school's students were a race other than black, according to a College Board Report.

So this explains those Golden Girls from Russia. Well-played, Alcorn. Well-played.

I think if we keep the online classes and the Madison Campus growing, we will stay above 10 per cent. Our STEM program is helping, but I think a lot of the non-Blacks in the local area have an issue with coming to West Jackson everyday. Heck, a lot of Blacks from Madison and Rankin Counties do, too.

I think if we keep the online classes and the Madison Campus growing, we will stay above 10 per cent. Our STEM program is helping, but I think a lot of the non-Blacks in the local area have an issue with coming to West Jackson everyday. Heck, a lot of Blacks from Madison and Rankin Counties do, too.
I really wish JSU could get the land right behide the school from terry rd all the way to valley street. From the fence all the way over about two streets over. Clean that off and make it something. That would help in the overall look of the campus. Those houses back there look ruff!!! Almost like they did the north side of the campus which is the parkway now but then making that open air and clean off gave the university a groomed look.

I really wish JSU could get the land right behide the school from terry rd all the way to valley street. From the fence all the way over about two streets over. Clean that off and make it something. That would help in the overall look of the campus. Those houses back there look ruff!!! Almost like they did the north side of the campus which is the parkway now but then making that open air and clean off gave the university a groomed look.
Good luck getting those people to move. Mason tried something similar several years ago and took a PR beating for it.

Mane, y'all better leave those Jim Hill HS peeps alone. But, if you check out the area you'll notice there are quite a few vacant lots so it looks like they're slowly tearing down homes and clearing lots.

Back