JSU Mulling Domed Stadium

bernard

THEE Realist
By R.L. Nave Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:41 p.m. CDT

When it comes to scoring its long-sought domed multi-use stadium, it's hard to know whether Jackson State University is threatening in the red zone or looking at a Hail Mary scenario.
Michael Thomas, the chief-financial officer for Jackson State, said March 6 that while a stadium is still in the school's long-range plan, JSU's legislative priorities are to seek funding for two new schools, one of public health and another for social work.
Initial plans are for a stadium is designed for football, basketball, concerts and special events. For football games, the stadium would hold about 50,000, while it would pack 17,000 fans for basketball games and 21,000 for concerts.
JSU had picked out a site near Battlefield Park, but that location met opposition from neighborhood associations. Now, Thomas says the school is looking at another site downtown, near the Jackson Convention Complex although he did not offer specifics.
The new schools and stadium are all part of JSU's master plan, which calls for extending the main west Jackson all the way to downtown, where the school is renovating a building to house its department of Urban and Regional Planning and Public Policy and Administration as well as the Institute of Government.
During a March 6 presentation of the plan at Koinonia Coffee House, Thomas explained that the university and its development foundation have been acquiring property around west Jackson, but he emphasized that there would be no "quick take."
In 2008, JSU pushed a bill that would allow it to take property through eminent domain. The so-called quick-take plan met fierce blowback from community groups and the bill died without before it got out of committee.

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2015/mar/17/jsu-mulling-domed-stadium/

Reactions: J C
Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Real talk, all of our institutions need to look a little bit more at imminent domain as a way to acquire land for growth and improving the community surrounding it. Get more public-private partnerships going to eliminate food deserts.

I totally disagree with eminent domain. If a university wants the property they should buy it at fair market value.

When land is acquired through eminent domain the land owners are supposed to be paid "fair market value" for the property. Eminent Domain is normally used after all other options have been exhausted to purchase the property from the owners.

I really do like the sound of JSU getting a School of a Public Health. Public Health is what I plan to get my Master's in.

Make it happen JSU!:)

Can't really do anything if people won't surrender their land. I say just scrap this idea and do a major upgrade for our athletic facilities. Make it real nice. Get an indoor practice arena plus all the fixings. Why not ?

So would they keep the Assembly Center, if the football stadium would be able to have bball games there?

So would they keep the Assembly Center, if the football stadium would be able to have bball games there?

It's been a while but I believe it would be converted to support volleyball and smaller assemblies. TB Ellis, volleyball's current location, will be more dedicated rec facility.

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
By R.L. Nave Tuesday, March 17, 2015 3:41 p.m. CDT

When it comes to scoring its long-sought domed multi-use stadium, it's hard to know whether Jackson State University is threatening in the red zone or looking at a Hail Mary scenario.
Michael Thomas, the chief-financial officer for Jackson State, said March 6 that while a stadium is still in the school's long-range plan, JSU's legislative priorities are to seek funding for two new schools, one of public health and another for social work.
Initial plans are for a stadium is designed for football, basketball, concerts and special events. For football games, the stadium would hold about 50,000, while it would pack 17,000 fans for basketball games and 21,000 for concerts.
JSU had picked out a site near Battlefield Park, but that location met opposition from neighborhood associations. Now, Thomas says the school is looking at another site downtown, near the Jackson Convention Complex although he did not offer specifics.
The new schools and stadium are all part of JSU's master plan, which calls for extending the main west Jackson all the way to downtown, where the school is renovating a building to house its department of Urban and Regional Planning and Public Policy and Administration as well as the Institute of Government.
During a March 6 presentation of the plan at Koinonia Coffee House, Thomas explained that the university and its development foundation have been acquiring property around west Jackson, but he emphasized that there would be no "quick take."
In 2008, JSU pushed a bill that would allow it to take property through eminent domain. The so-called quick-take plan met fierce blowback from community groups and the bill died without before it got out of committee.

http://www.jacksonfreepress.com/news/2015/mar/17/jsu-mulling-domed-stadium/

For the Jax guy who hinted that someone lied about the dome, here's info showing that he doesn't have an inkling about what he's talking about.

For the Jax guy who hinted that someone lied about the dome, here's info showing that he doesn't have an inkling about what he's talking about.

Just like you don't know what you're talking about regarding Dr. Broussard. Yea OK.

As of now this is all talk, per se', but hey, if mulling helps you sleep at night.....

You said in the other thread that I lied about the project still being on the table. Well, the man told you why the project is taking longer than expected but you read something totally different than what he disclosed. Perhaps you failed to comprehend the context.

You said in the other thread that I lied about the project still being on the table. Well, the man told you why the project is taking longer than expected but you read something totally different than what he disclosed. Perhaps you failed to comprehend the context.

I know what I said/ posted. And I will add this....the title of the thread said JSU "mulling" Dome Stadium....

mull1
məl/
verb
gerund or present participle: mulling

1. think about (a fact, proposal, or request) deeply and at length.
    "she began to mull over the various possibilities"
    synonyms:
    ponder, consider, think over/about, reflect on, contemplate, turn over in one's mind, chew over, cogitate on, give some thought to
    "I'll have to mull it over before making a final decision"
...apparently you failed to
Comprehend what MULL means.

That's ok. You've proven time and time again that you've never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Ps....After September 19th, you won't be missed after we run Jsu out of BR with another L.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

Last edited:
I know what I said/ posted. And I will add this....the title of the thread said JSU "mulling" Dome Stadium....

mull1
məl/
verb
gerund or present participle: mulling

1. think about (a fact, proposal, or request) deeply and at length.
    "she began to mull over the various possibilities"
    synonyms:
    ponder, consider, think over/about, reflect on, contemplate, turn over in one's mind, chew over, cogitate on, give some thought to
    "I'll have to mull it over before making a final decision"
...apparently you failed to
Comprehend what MULL means.

That's ok. You've proven time and time again that you've never been the sharpest knife in the drawer.

Ps....After September 19th, you won't be missed after we run Jsu out of BR with another L.

HA HA HA HA HA HA HA!!!!!!

Dude, that's what the reporter called it, a reporter that whose not even our beat writer. That newspaper don't know any more what's going on than an outsider like yourself. It's just an article posting very little inside information but you ran with it like a dog with a new found bone.
I've spoken to inside people and neither has used the word mull. The reporter used that term.
Now had the JSU representative used such a term, you'd be somewhat accurate but since he didn't, once again you're somewhere out in left field.

The JSU representative clearly stated that the plan is still in effect but I guess with you, it seems like an outsider's word is more reliable.

Last edited:
Dude, that's what the reporter called it, a reporter that whose not even our beat writer. That newspaper don't know any more what's going on than an outsider like yourself. It's just an article posting very little inside information but you ran with it like a dog with a new found bone.
I've spoken to inside people and neither has used the word mull. The reporter used that term.

Say bruh....Don't get mad at me. He(reporter) used the word "mull." Maybe you should "bark up his tree."

A word of caution....don't get "cussed" out in the process. :D

Back