JSU foundation audit shows thousands in undocumented expenses

Do you think JSU president is becoming incompetent

• Yes

• No

• She's doing a great job !!

• I Dnt really know yet !!

Results are only viewable after voting.
I strongly agree with Congresman Bennie Thompson. I will continue to contribute. I think Myers handle it accordingly and this was just a much needed wake up call for the foundation.

Meyers handled it when it had gotten out of control. There should have been oversight in place to FLAG improper charges!
What are you talking about. It wasn't really Myers job to handle anything. It was the foundation fault and responsibility to handle the spendings. Myers didn't necessarily handle anything. I'm glad she gave her part bck is what I'm saying. Point blank the foundation needed this to happen so it could get some policies in place, and all the money has been returned. Praise god. End of discussion.

So why would the Clarion Ledger wait so long to public the story?

They've wanted to for quite some time. News got out over a year and a half ago. My guess is that there were some pieces that they couldn't substantiate until now (not like that's ever stopped them from taking a story and running with it in the past), and it's a slow week news-wise.

What are you talking about. It wasn't really Myers job to handle anything. It was the foundation fault and responsibility to handle the spendings. Myers didn't necessarily handle anything. I'm glad she gave her part bck is what I'm saying. Point blank the foundation needed this to happen so it could get some policies in place, and all the money has been returned. Praise god. End of discussion.

Please tell me you're joking.

She's the president of the university and spent money for personal use out of the foundation. Obviously she fugged up if she paid the money back. We ALL have to stop making excuses for poor leadership. Meyers is just another long line of HBCU presidents who opted to do the WRONG THING.

It doesn't matter that the foundation is its own entity. She makes enough salary to not dip into a secondary source.

She's the president of the university and spent money for personal use out of the foundation. Obviously she fugged up if she paid the money back. We ALL have to stop making excuses for poor leadership. Meyers is just another long line of HBCU presidents who opted to do the WRONG THING.

It doesn't matter that the foundation is its own entity. She makes enough salary to not dip into a secondary source.

Exactly, you lead by example!
sbed_sign_goodnite_100-100.gif

Last edited:
A Message from the University President: Setting the Record Straight

Dear JSU Alumni and Friends:

I continue to be grateful for the privilege of serving you. As I am sure you are aware our University, the Jackson State University Development Foundation (JSUDF) and I personally are the victims of misinformation printed in the Clarion-Ledger. So the purpose of this letter is to set the record straight for all of us.

By IHL action dating back to the '90s, long before I came here, the foundation and the president (and therefore the University) are independent entities. This independence is a SACS requirement also that we had to prove in our last review, which was shortly after I came to JSU. As such, the president is an ex-officio member of the foundation. As such all presidents are prohibited from running the respective foundations. I cannot vote in any of their elections, make any bylaws or governance rules, issue any credit cards or revoke such, and truly have no authority over the operations of the JSUDF. All I can do is make suggestions which I do on occasion. Delightfully, I had and have good relationships with the two foundation presidents, Mr. Leland Speed and Dr. Alfred Martin, and I hope with the JSUDF in general.

Each foundation of all eight IHL universities has a separate affiliation agreement which must be approved by IHL. Per our affiliation agreement, JSU designates a part of the Vice President for Institutional Advancement's time and responsibilities be spent in the role of Executive Director of the JSUDF. As the president I do hire the Vice President for Institutional Advancement and that person is a member of the Executive Cabinet at JSU. Other support is provided to the JSUDF as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director.

Yes, as I responded to Ms. Bryant, in 2014 I inadvertently discovered a situation with JSUDF credit card use. First I verified the information, consulted with the then-Executive Director and the then-Commissioner of the IHL, and ultimately acted within the limited scope of my authority within hours of discovery. Similarly, the JSUDF of its own accord, after learning of the JSUDF credit card discrepancies, cancelled all credit cards and most importantly, worked long and hard on revamping their bylaws and inserting appropriate internal controls so that the situation would not arise or occur again. Dr. Geraldine Brookins did an awesome and tedious job for all of us. Dr. Mary White took over as the interim Executive Director and likewise did an awesome job during difficult times.

And all of this was two years ago. I'm proud that the JSUDF acted within the scope of their responsibilities and in a timely manner, as did I. None of us can change history, but we can work to prevent difficult situations from recurrence. Since 2014, that's what we each did.

Let me address now the inaccuracies regarding my use, which can be documented from the office records. The charge to the Marriott which was questioned was due to my attendance at the NAFEO Presidential Peer Seminar in Washington, D.C.; as I remember at least eight to ten other college presidents were there. As I was then a member of the NAFEO Board, I stayed for the duration of the meeting - four days at $200.00 per day. The charge to the W Hotel in Atlanta was due to my participation as an invited panelist by the NCAA. I stayed an extra day for which I reimbursed the JSUDF. Please know that the previous bylaws allowed personal use as long as one reimbursed the foundation. That's what I did.

The Tiger Fund, realizing that presidents have to be involved in friend-raising and recognizing notable accomplishments, has generously provided me with the resources to cover all flowers, edibles and the like. This was not charged to the JSUDF, and the Tiger Fund's letter verifies this as well as the expenditures for Ruth's Chris gift certificates. These resources were strictly for use for such gratuities and approved by the board of the Tiger Fund. Most, in fact, all presidents I know enjoy similar support in the name of good will.

One edible arrangement was inadvertently charged to the JSUDF rather than to my personal account by a staff member. Being the person of integrity that the individual is, the error was brought to my attention, and I immediately wrote a check to reimburse the foundation. Accidents happen.

So I hope you can see the allegation in an editorial on Monday that administrators made thousands of dollars from the JSUDF are misleading at best. For your information, Ms. Bryant had the explanations listed above and chose not to share this information. She also did not point out that the report to which she refers is the property of the JSUDF, not mine. I have never reviewed the details of the report, nor should I. I trust them, and to me, they did the appropriate actions. I was frankly amazed at what Ms. Bryant reported. As I told Ms. Bryant, no one emailed or communicated with me about any of the discrepancies attributed to me - not when they occurred or during the reconciliation process. I could have cleaned them up or withdrawn the request. So probably others named in her article had they known they were included, could have done the same. I hope many of you think the best of people associated with JSU first, just as I do, until or unless there is definite evidence of guilt.

One thing this points out is the value of the critical thinking we offer our students in this world of free speech, inaccurate or not. That's invaluable, and I thank our faculty and staff for reinforcing this critical thinking commitment.

In closing let's call this what it is -- a smear campaign on me, the University and the JSUDF. We have been too successful and gotten out of our lane, so to speak. Innuendo and doubt may prove useful in slowing us down -- especially in enrollment and giving because many know that if JSU had the extensive resources of other universities, JSU would be 'dangerous.' So during this siege, I submit to you that this is the time to come together as ONE JSU and prove that only the limits of our God-given talents, not someone's personal agenda, can slow us down.

Remember the First Lady's words: "When they go low, we go high." Let's go high!

Dr. Carolyn W. Meyers
President, Jackson State University

A Message from the University President: Setting the Record Straight

Dear JSU Alumni and Friends:

I continue to be grateful for the privilege of serving you. As I am sure you are aware our University, the Jackson State University Development Foundation (JSUDF) and I personally are the victims of misinformation printed in the Clarion-Ledger. So the purpose of this letter is to set the record straight for all of us.

By IHL action dating back to the '90s, long before I came here, the foundation and the president (and therefore the University) are independent entities. This independence is a SACS requirement also that we had to prove in our last review, which was shortly after I came to JSU. As such, the president is an ex-officio member of the foundation. As such all presidents are prohibited from running the respective foundations. I cannot vote in any of their elections, make any bylaws or governance rules, issue any credit cards or revoke such, and truly have no authority over the operations of the JSUDF. All I can do is make suggestions which I do on occasion. Delightfully, I had and have good relationships with the two foundation presidents, Mr. Leland Speed and Dr. Alfred Martin, and I hope with the JSUDF in general.

Each foundation of all eight IHL universities has a separate affiliation agreement which must be approved by IHL. Per our affiliation agreement, JSU designates a part of the Vice President for Institutional Advancement's time and responsibilities be spent in the role of Executive Director of the JSUDF. As the president I do hire the Vice President for Institutional Advancement and that person is a member of the Executive Cabinet at JSU. Other support is provided to the JSUDF as deemed appropriate by the Executive Director.

Yes, as I responded to Ms. Bryant, in 2014 I inadvertently discovered a situation with JSUDF credit card use. First I verified the information, consulted with the then-Executive Director and the then-Commissioner of the IHL, and ultimately acted within the limited scope of my authority within hours of discovery. Similarly, the JSUDF of its own accord, after learning of the JSUDF credit card discrepancies, cancelled all credit cards and most importantly, worked long and hard on revamping their bylaws and inserting appropriate internal controls so that the situation would not arise or occur again. Dr. Geraldine Brookins did an awesome and tedious job for all of us. Dr. Mary White took over as the interim Executive Director and likewise did an awesome job during difficult times.

And all of this was two years ago. I'm proud that the JSUDF acted within the scope of their responsibilities and in a timely manner, as did I. None of us can change history, but we can work to prevent difficult situations from recurrence. Since 2014, that's what we each did.

Let me address now the inaccuracies regarding my use, which can be documented from the office records. The charge to the Marriott which was questioned was due to my attendance at the NAFEO Presidential Peer Seminar in Washington, D.C.; as I remember at least eight to ten other college presidents were there. As I was then a member of the NAFEO Board, I stayed for the duration of the meeting - four days at $200.00 per day. The charge to the W Hotel in Atlanta was due to my participation as an invited panelist by the NCAA. I stayed an extra day for which I reimbursed the JSUDF. Please know that the previous bylaws allowed personal use as long as one reimbursed the foundation. That's what I did.

The Tiger Fund, realizing that presidents have to be involved in friend-raising and recognizing notable accomplishments, has generously provided me with the resources to cover all flowers, edibles and the like. This was not charged to the JSUDF, and the Tiger Fund's letter verifies this as well as the expenditures for Ruth's Chris gift certificates. These resources were strictly for use for such gratuities and approved by the board of the Tiger Fund. Most, in fact, all presidents I know enjoy similar support in the name of good will.

One edible arrangement was inadvertently charged to the JSUDF rather than to my personal account by a staff member. Being the person of integrity that the individual is, the error was brought to my attention, and I immediately wrote a check to reimburse the foundation. Accidents happen.

So I hope you can see the allegation in an editorial on Monday that administrators made thousands of dollars from the JSUDF are misleading at best. For your information, Ms. Bryant had the explanations listed above and chose not to share this information. She also did not point out that the report to which she refers is the property of the JSUDF, not mine. I have never reviewed the details of the report, nor should I. I trust them, and to me, they did the appropriate actions. I was frankly amazed at what Ms. Bryant reported. As I told Ms. Bryant, no one emailed or communicated with me about any of the discrepancies attributed to me - not when they occurred or during the reconciliation process. I could have cleaned them up or withdrawn the request. So probably others named in her article had they known they were included, could have done the same. I hope many of you think the best of people associated with JSU first, just as I do, until or unless there is definite evidence of guilt.

One thing this points out is the value of the critical thinking we offer our students in this world of free speech, inaccurate or not. That's invaluable, and I thank our faculty and staff for reinforcing this critical thinking commitment.

In closing let's call this what it is -- a smear campaign on me, the University and the JSUDF. We have been too successful and gotten out of our lane, so to speak. Innuendo and doubt may prove useful in slowing us down -- especially in enrollment and giving because many know that if JSU had the extensive resources of other universities, JSU would be 'dangerous.' So during this siege, I submit to you that this is the time to come together as ONE JSU and prove that only the limits of our God-given talents, not someone's personal agenda, can slow us down.

Remember the First Lady's words: "When they go low, we go high." Let's go high!

Dr. Carolyn W. Meyers
President, Jackson State University

She could have keep that. The message from Meyers is just a justification of inadequate internal controls and Meyers fear of addressing the news media live.

Two things here...

1. The Clarion Ledger is wrong
2. Meyer is wrong
3. No foundation has "inadvertent" charges.
4. HBCUs need to start suing local media
5. HBCU alumni need to start demanding better from their leaders AND university employees.

And for Gods sake, proofread! This looks like it was written from a freshman!

I hope your the one joking. You still sound uninformed. JSU foundation didn't limit Myers from using funds for private use even if that's what she did as Long as those funds were reimbursed. So it doesn't matter how much y'all try to put Myers in the wrong she was totally justified for what she did. This was definently the fault of the foundation. If she didn't reimburse the foundation then I could see some of you all saying she's at fault but she didn't break any rules based on the foudation polices. So what most of you'll saying about Myers is based off your dislike for her in the beginning. But she's still president of JSU and will be until she decides to leave or she really does something bad, until that she's still Dr. Carolyn Winstead Myers President of Thee JSU.

I hope your the one joking. You still sound uninformed. JSU foundation didn't limit Myers from using funds for private use even if that's what she did as Long as those funds were reimbursed. So it doesn't matter how much y'all try to put Myers in the wrong she was totally justified for what she did. This was definently the fault of the foundation. If she didn't reimburse the foundation then I could see some of you all saying she's at fault but she didn't break any rules based on the foudation polices. So what most of you'll saying about Myers is based off your dislike for her in the beginning. But she's still president of JSU and will be until she decides to leave or she really does something bad, until that she's still Dr. Carolyn Winstead Myers President of Thee JSU.

grammar & spell check, please!

I do not think Dr. Myers did anything wrong in this manner and that she did explain her actions in her emotional letter above because she saw her integrity and that of the University being questioned in that headline grabbing article that was laced with "shotgun" reporting. I think that one good thing we learned from this is that more oversight measures are now in place.

I have no reason to dislike another schools president. I DO have a problem with HBCU alums being in presidents fan clubs and acting like its OK to be carry on loosely with donated funds. If funds have to be reimbursed, they don't need to spent from that pool of funds to begin with.

Let me ask you this.. do you think Meyer knew about the guy spending money at casinos? If she did and had the guy fired, why wasn't she spending her own personal money on gifts JUST to be sure her hands would be clean when audited?

Now that she knows the local news is watching her leadership, she better have a squeaky clean administration from top to bottom.

She had better, Meyers DO NOT want the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools reviewing JSU's finances.

Last edited:

I have no reason to dislike another schools president. I DO have a problem with HBCU alums being in presidents fan clubs and acting like its OK to be carry on loosely with donated funds. If funds have to be reimbursed, they don't need to spent from that pool of funds to begin with.

Let me ask you this.. do you think Meyer knew about the guy spending money at casinos? If she did and had the guy fired, why wasn't she spending her own personal money on gifts JUST to be sure her hands would be clean when audited?
I like Meyers but I don't think she is above bending the rules for whatever as she sees fit. She is a black hillary clinton.

She had better, Meyers DO NOT want the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools reviewing JSU's finances.

Exactly what happened to Morris Brown College. Monies being used for the wrong things can destroy any college or university. All of our colleges and universities should have checks and balances in place so stuff doesn't get completely out of hand. The days of robbing Peter to pay Paul at HBCUs are over with.

Exactly what happened to Morris Brown College. Monies being used for the wrong things can destroy any college or university. All of our colleges and universities should have checks and balances in place so stuff doesn't get completely out of hand. The days of robbing Peter to pay Paul at HBCUs are over with.
Morris Brown was a completely different scenario. They were taking out loans in students names without their knowledge.

Morris Brown was a completely different scenario. They were taking out loans in students names without their knowledge.
Right. Anytime someone brings up MBC they have to understand why they lost their accreditation.

When, after the normal registration and enrollment process was complete, the school had not met Dr. Cross's enrollment goals, she directed Mr. Singh to enroll enough students to ensure she would achieve her enrollment goal and have the revenue for her budget. She began this practice in the fall of 1999 and continued it throughout her tenure.

In the Fall of 1999, Singh began a practice of enrolling large numbers of students who had registered for classes (or merely pre-registered the preceding semester) but had not completed the enrollment process by physically going to Student Accounts and satisfying their bill. Singh requested that employees of the Registrar's Office and/or Student Accounts prepare spreadsheets listing all students who, according to the college's records, were registered but had not enrolled. He then directed these employees and others to change these students' enrollment status on the school's computer system to indicate that they were "enrolled." The effect of this practice, as Singh knew and intended, was to enable Morris Brown to transfer the students' loan funds from the restricted federal loan account to the operating account and then to spend the funds. Witnesses would testify that Singh referred to this practice as "blanket enrollment."

Complete details here: http://www2.ed.gov/about/offices/list/oig/invtreports/gan012007.html

Any type of misappropriation of funds can trigger a complete audit investigation, which is typically how other financial discrepancies are discovered.

Any type of misappropriation of funds can trigger a complete audit investigation, which is typically how other financial discrepancies are discovered.
but not a federal investigation, loss of accreditation, etc... Man, trust me. It takes some foolishness to lose accreditation. Corinithian colleges ran basically a fraudulent enterprise for years before being busted.

Two things here...

1. The Clarion Ledger is wrong
2. Meyer is wrong
3. No foundation has "inadvertent" charges.
4. HBCUs need to start suing local media
5. HBCU alumni need to start demanding better from their leaders AND university employees.

And for Gods sake, proofread! This looks like it was written from a freshman!

While the C-L is wrong, as they have been often times in the past, I still have to look at this objectively. We still have to foster a good relationship with local media. The C-L is known for dirt digging. And it's not just a JSU thing. Southern Miss, Ole Miss and MS State alumni get angry with the C-L all of the time. It just becomes unfortunate for us because we are actually in Jackson, and a lot of what JSU does affects the City of Jackson. They also do some positive reporting, too, but that doesn't trend on social media. The best way to keep our universities from being "smeared" is to keep our noses clean from Day 1. Let it be a lesson learned.

but not a federal investigation, loss of accreditation, etc... Man, trust me. It takes some foolishness to lose accreditation. Corinithian colleges ran basically a fraudulent enterprise for years before being busted.

Not true.

The Commission found Tougaloo to be out of compliance with several of its accreditation standards, including having adequate financial stability and control of those finances.

Tougaloo faces reaccreditation challenge

Bruh. Trust me. It take a good bit before agencies snatch accreditation. I work with the people who oversee accreditation agencies. They will give warnings all day. Bama state pratically ignored SACS before this current admin and the state started cleaning up their operations.

Now a school failing to meet financial standards is another story. Thats really on the school and the market.

Back