JSU’s College of Education and Human Development first to receive Science of Excellence Reading Award

Laphonza Butler, the head of political action committee Emily’s List and an adviser on Kamala D. Harris’s 2020 presidential campaign, has been appointed by California Gov. Gavin Newsom (D) to fill the vacant Senate seat held by the late Dianne Feinstein.

She will become the second Black woman after Harris to represent California in the Senate and the first Black lesbian to openly serve in Congress, a statement from Newsom’s office said. In picking Butler, Newsom kept his 2021 promise to appoint a Black woman to the chamber. Her selection also helps Democrats retain control of the Senate.

Butler has a political science degree from Jackson State University in Mississippi.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Whz_oUgf6Yo

Last edited:
This is fantastic news! I have met her before at a conference in New Orleans. She is a top notch but what else would you expect from TheeILove! Emily’s List is a very well established and powerful organization founded to increase Women in Political Office. Rep. Barbara Lee I love you too, but, on this one take a seat! Just Can’t Hide that Tiger Pride! Lol

The governing board of Mississippi’s eight public universities has been planning to announce the next permanent president of Jackson State University on Oct. 23, according to a timeline of the search that was obtained through a public records request.

A spokesperson for the Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees wrote in an email that the timeline was not published because it was subject to change but that a search committee “is still on target to complete the search this fall.”

The timeline was prepared by Academic Search, the executive headhunting firm that IHL contracted to help find a permanent leader at Jackson State, which has had an interim appointment since earlier this year when Thomas Hudson became the third president in a row to resign in a seven-year period.

It sheds some light on the generally secretive process used by the trustees who comprise the board’s search committee. This fall, the committee has met twice to deliberate behind closed doors and has not shared any general updates from those meetings with the public.

The Board of Trustees of State Institutions of Higher Learning will hold a special called meeting on Tuesday, October 10, 2023, at 8:30 a.m. for the purpose of discussing a personnel matter concerning the search for the next president of Jackson State University. Members of the Board may participate in the meeting via teleconference or an online meeting platform. Members of the public and media may attend the meeting in the Ainsworth Conference Room on the 1st floor of the School of Pharmacy Building on the campus of the University of Mississippi Medical Center, 2500 N. State Street, Jackson, MS 39216. An Executive Session may be held in accordance with the Open Meetings Act.

Where is @shelovesthee on Twitter getting this Hank Bounds rumor from saying he’s possibly the new president.IMG_1845.jpeg

3 interview to be next JSU president. Hayes-Anthony not believed to be included, source says​

Three candidates interviewed Tuesday with the five-member search committee appointed by the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees for the opportunity to become the next president of Jackson State University.

No names of candidates were made available Tuesday but a source said they do not believe acting JSU President Elayne Hayes-Anthony, Ph.D., was among those being interviewed.

Committee Chair Dr. Steven Cunningham, immediately called for a special executive session to be able to meet with the candidates in private in meeting rooms at the School of Pharmacy at the University of Mississippi Medical Center.

The committee completed its session around 2 p.m. Tuesday with no decision made. However, Cunningham said the IHL will meet again Oct. 19 and expects to name a new JSU president then.

While no public confirmation has been made as to who is interviewing for the position, or when a decision will be made, Hayes-Anthony has stated on multiple occasions that she is open to becoming the permanent president of the Historically Black University.

“I am here. I am a Jacksonian. Whatever I need to do to help my university to make things move ahead, I will do that,” Hayes-Anthony said at a previous IHL meeting. “Oh yeah, I would like to be the next president.”

William Brown and Millard Bingham, standing with their arms crossed, are waiting in a hallway of classrooms for the executive session to end, hoping it’ll bring some information about who is going to be the next president of Jackson State University.

But Brown and Bingham know it probably won’t. At least not today.

The two professors have waited many times before. In their two decades of teaching at Jackson State, they’ve seen four permanent presidents come and go from the historically Black university. And each time, they’ve watched as the search process used by the university’s governing board, the Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees, has become more and more secretive — to the point that now, transparency “just seems like an unattainable dream,” Bingham said.

Thompson said that on the federal level, the Biden administration has made several grants available to help HBCUs improve security, which he said Jackson State has applied for.

“I’m not certain there’ll ever be enough money to guarantee anybody that something won’t happen,” he said.

No announcements came from the Mississippi Institutions of Higher Learning Board of Trustees on Thursday after it met, and no announcements or meetings are scheduled in the near future on the vacant Jackson State University president's position.

The Clarion Ledger reported last week that acting JSU President Elayne Hayes-Anthony had not been a finalist or had been interviewed for the position. On Tuesday, she continued to say she is a candidate for the job.

"I don't have any additional thoughts because I don't know anything more," Hayes-Anthony said following the meeting. "I am still committed to Jackson State University. I am committed to the mission. I am an alum. I love this university, and I would like to continue to serve."

why would Hank bounds had been at the Cadillac of jackson looking at blue Cadillacs? I pray it means nothing

Last edited:

Back