Jerry Rice to Kaepernick: All Lives (And The America Flag) Matter More Than Black Lives

Kenn Rashad

Person In Charge
Staff member
By Kendrick Marshall

Former Mississippi Valley State great Jerry Rice has more respect for the American flag than peaceful protests against injustices minorities endure.

Rice, a Pro Football Hall of Fame inductee -- and considered the greatest ever to play the sport – made that very clear in a single tweet posted late Monday in response to San Francisco 49ers quarterback Colin Kaepernick refusing to stand for the national anthem in protest of the mistreatment of African-Americans.

Read the rest: http://hbcusports.com/2016/08/30/je...he-america-flag-matter-more-than-black-lives/

This what happens when you getting paid by white daddy

SMH

I'm starting to hate athletes more and more each and every day...

The cooning is getting out of hand mane..dayum...

This what happens when you getting paid by white daddy

SMH

I'm starting to hate athletes more and more each and every day...

The cooning is getting out of hand mane..dayum...

To say that we are not a monolithic people, some of you sure are quick to use the "cooning" label when it comes to issues like this in which one disagrees. It's gotten to the point that the word likely describes the person using it rather than the person it was intended for.

But I digress.

Carry on. SMH

To say that we are not a monolithic people, some of you sure are quick to use the "cooning" label when it comes to issues like this in which one disagrees. It's gotten to the point that the word likely describes the person using it rather than the person it was intended for.

But I digress.

Carry on. SMH

Lol

So what Jerry stated is not coonish?

Any black person that states this when the flag pisses all over black ppl...and the song..how is that not cooning and being a c**n?

Help me understand your point..when I use the word, I know when to use it...

Lol

So what Jerry stated is not coonish?

Any black person that states this when the flag pisses all over black ppl...and the song..how is that not cooning and being a c**n?

Help me understand your point..when I use the word, I know when to use it...

Well, if you know how to use the word, there is no need for me to tell you how to use it.

Carry on.

I proudly stand when the National Anthem is played because it represents the rights of all Americans to voice their opinion. This to me is what makes the county exceptional!

You do know that Francis Scott Key wanted an abolitionist hanged for speaking in opposition of slavery, right?

If he knows, who cares about what Francis Scott Key stated...

He has his right to stand for the flag and cover his heart and sing that song.

Let him be great

As someone who enlisted in the U.S Air Force at 19, after flunking out of college; I can tell you, most black people aren’t in the military because they love this country. They’re there because they effed up and are going away to reinvent themselves, they grew up in the hood and there was limited/no other opportunities, or they need money for college — ergo Montgomery GI Bill.

So, let’s stop with the “you’re disrespecting other black people who fought for your freedom by not standing or placing your hand over your heart during the National Anthem” rhetoric.

First of all, the lyrics to the Star Spangled Banner — as penned by Francis Scott Key from “Defence of Fort M’Henry” were written in 1814. Slavery was still on and popping. So, we’re supposed to be in awe of this great land, and all its opportunities–when black people were still slaves at the time?

Secondly. Exactly which war was fought on behalf of the freedom of black people? At its core, the Civil War was fought over state autonomy and state vs federal authority…not freeing slaves. According to the 1857 Dred Scott decision, no person with African blood could become a U.S. citizen. This wasn’t even even 200 years ago, folks.

Thirdly. Where was all this false patriotism when my uncles and other black men returned from the Vietnam War and were booed and spat on? Can you imagine what it must’ve been like to be drafted into a war, experience racism from racist superiors, be exposed to Agent Orange, and return to systemic racism, and oppression in a country you just “fought for”?

Suddenly, we’re “unpatriotic” and a “stupid n****r” if we don’t want to pledge allegiance to an inanimate object or stand in awe of a song professing of “the land of the free” when this country was built on the free-labored backs of the our ancestors? Seriously?

Furthermore, “Fighting for freedom” is an oxymoron and the greatest lie ever sold. If this is the greatest country in the world, why do we need to invade other countries to attain freedom? Wars are started over control of money, oil, gold, and opium poppy fields. Period.

No one is hurting or disrespecting anyone by not standing at attention or saluting this BS.

As someone who enlisted in the U.S Air Force at 19, after flunking out of college; I can tell you, most black people aren’t in the military because they love this country. They’re there because they effed up and are going away to reinvent themselves, they grew up in the hood and there was limited/no other opportunities, or they need money for college — ergo Montgomery GI Bill.

Way to bounce back! I told my son almost the exact same thing last night when discussing this topic.

You do know that Francis Scott Key wanted a man hanged for holding anti-slavery literature, right?

Francis Scott Key is gone and dead. We have to evolve at some point. I can give a rat's ass about that mofo. The folks who segregated our educational system and helped US create HBCUs meant us no good either. But we still love our HBCUs and glad they got created. So yeah the anthem was written by a Slavery Lover. Some of it was written with bad intentions towards us. But at the end of the day. Our ancestors built this country on their backs and if not for us, there is no America. So that's my damn flag and the parts of the anthem that was written for the so called majority. I am taking that mofo as mine as well. My ancestors paid enough of a price for me to OWN it. This is my country for better or worse. I was born and raised here. Francis Scott Key can turn over in his damn grave for all I care. LOL.

Choice.

I have stated this before, my father while dying from Agent Orange Cancer said that he served his country and is dying so people would have a choice in all aspects of their lives.

Kaep has a choice just as so many others.

Must respect to your Dad. Can only imagine when he served how difficult it had to have been.

Francis Scott Key is gone and dead. We have to evolve at some point. I can give a rat's ass about that mofo. The folks who segregated our educational system and helped US create HBCUs meant us no good either. But we still love our HBCUs and glad they got created. So yeah the anthem was written by a Slavery Lover. Some of it was written with bad intentions towards us. But at the end of the day. Our ancestors built this country on their backs and if not for us, there is no America. So that's my damn flag and the parts of the anthem that was written for the so called majority. I am taking that mofo as mine as well. My ancestors paid enough of a price for me to OWN it. This is my country for better or worse. I was born and raised here. Francis Scott Key can turn over in his damn grave for all I care. LOL.

some are going to embrace the flag. Some won't.

Preach!

This country has a long history of having it "both ways". Black folk, like everyone else, have just as much right to have it "both ways" as well. For the simple fact that many brothers and sisters paid the price to make this country what it is, without getting shit in return for it, gives us the right and the privilege to take advantage of whatever it has to offer. There is NOTHING wrong for us to embrace what is good for us and to demand that more changes take place that will make things better for us.

In the 1985 Blue-Gray game in Montgomery, Jerry Rice was the best player on the field. He spoke up for MVSU and the SWAC. I have seen interviews of Michael Strahan and Avery Johnson appreciate what they received by going to TSU and SU. Ken Houston said similar things about Prairie View A&M. Since those days I have not heard Rice say much about MVSU. I hope I missed something. Am I being unfair.

Frances Scott Key is dead, but let's not forget his past, including his slave holding past. We need to learn about the national anthem. I keep forgetting about that third stanza though I do not forget about Key's past. The Jews teach everyone a lesson about not forgetting. We should learn from them. Only the White supremacists for the most part mess with them.

BTW the Civil War was not the only war fought where slavery was a big issue. The War for Texas Independence in 1836 was one. It was not the first. One can also go back to a not so little war that was fought before 1800.

www.trinidadexpress.com/news/How_the_Merikins_came_to_Moruga-135008663.html

http://caribbean-beat.com/issue-140/heroes-of-forgotten-war#axzz4Iq6BCUgw

In the 1985 Blue-Gray game in Montgomery, Jerry Rice was the best player on the field. He spoke up for MVSU and the SWAC. I have seen interviews of Michael Strahan and Avery Johnson appreciate what they received by going to TSU and SU. Ken Houston said similar things about Prairie View A&M. Since those days I have not heard Rice say much about MVSU. I hope I missed something. Am I being unfair.

Frances Scott Key is dead, but let's not forget his past, including his slave holding past. We need to learn about the national anthem. I keep forgetting about that third stanza though I do not forget about Key's past. The Jews teach everyone a lesson about not forgetting. We should learn from them. Only the White supremacists for the most part mess with them.

BTW the Civil War was not the only war fought where slavery was a big issue. The War for Texas Independence in 1836 was one. It was not the first. One can also go back to a not so little war that was fought before 1800.

www.trinidadexpress.com/news/How_the_Merikins_came_to_Moruga-135008663.html

http://caribbean-beat.com/issue-140/heroes-of-forgotten-war#axzz4Iq6BCUgw

Not that we forget. At this point that dude is gone and We are here. We are not leaving America. So we need to take what is ours and that Anthem no matter what HE intended is MINE. I OWN it. LOL. Not letting them off the hook by disowning America, the Anthem or Flag. Hell I need to take that Rebel Flag from them necks and Dixie. For if it was not for our people. Them good ole boys would have died in the South not knowing how to do nothing for themselves. Cotton send help.

The Jews do teach. But they OWN America now. LOL. They love the land that have many that mean them no good intentions either. That's all I am saying. They went about their business and next thing you knew, not only they were sitting at the table, they owned the table. Remember them other folks told them and the world they exaggerated the Holocaust or said it didn't happen. They got even economically in the long run. Community leadership was always key for them. That was their focus instead we like condemn each other for having different opinions.

As for Rice, he did a lot of stuff from what I understand for Valley. Don't know what the situation is now. He is probably detached. His brother taught us in Middle school after his stint with the Raiders was over. Brother is a JSU football Tiger Alum. Even though I disagree with Jerry on this one. I don't think he is a bad dude and not down for his alma mater or other black folks. There are a lot of HBCU grads who believe exactly in what Jerry just said. But support their schools to the upmost.

Back