Is your alma mater ready for globalization

jsupop33

Loyalty & Respect
So I have been paying attention to this trend of schools branching out overseas the past few years and it seems to be picking up steam again. As we know, American U has had campuses all over the world for decades, Georgetown has a Bahrain branch, NYU just opened a branch in Dubai. I really do believe that Globalization will make this trend more prevalent. These foreign govt's will put out dough to simply have the brand name of a big name American school on their campus.

Do you think any of our schools will be ready to open a foreign branch in 10 years? 20 years?

Confucius%20Institute.jpg

Dr. John Rudley, President of Texas Southern University, is in Beijing China signing an agreement with the Chinese government to establish an international Confucius Institute at Texas Southern University. By establishing the only Confucius Institute in the greater Houston area, TSU will have the opportunity to develop academic and cultural programs related to Chinese language and cultures.

The Confucius Institute is a partnership between Texas Southern University and Beijing Jiaotong University, the premiere technology university in China. TSU’s Confucius Institute is one only of 226 centers worldwide and one of 42 in the United States authorized through Hanban, the Chinese Language and Cultural Institute.

“Texas Southern students will be able to access and engage in many unique opportunities and activities provided by the Confucius Institute, and students will be able to access the international experience opportunities of its partner institution in China,” President Rudley explained.

http://www.tsu.edu/About/Administra...mmunications/News_Reel/ConfuciusInstitute.php

I pray we do...honestly, the only thing stopping us is US/our minds...we've spent far too long telling ourselves and allowing others to tell us what we cannot do...when others clearly are doing...we need to stop getting in our own ways and EXPAND!!!

NYU is about to put a campus in Dubai. These foreign governments are willing to put up money to have a university with an American brand name in their country. I think there is a good opportunity for one of us to have a campus in Brazil. Watch out for Hampton or Spelman.

A number of marquee American institutions have campuses in Qatar, and Dubai is trying to mimic it's success. Qatar has developed a mini American academic village over there, known as Education City. They choose you based on your "top producing (definition varies) programs". For instance, Carnegie Mellon covers business, Cornell has branch of their medical college there, and Texas A&M covers the engineering. I would love to see HBCUs get together and put together a proposal to showcase our programs and get into Education City or the new development in Dubai.

My mentor went over for about two months in 2010 helped them work out the student affairs and housing portion. They pay really well for consulting or for working over there period :) I still hate I turned down that internship in grad school, but my folks were not fans of sending me overseas. The pay regardless of the position is great and not taxed to a certain amount, plus they cover your housing and utility needs, so you are basically saving untaxed money for a few years. In addition, you get two flights a year back to the states for two weeks at a time. That does not tap into your vacation days. A guy I went to grad school with works for Carnegie Mellon at Qatar and loves it. We were supposed to do our internships together SMH. One of the few things I look back on and regret, but everything happens for a reason I guess.

Last edited:
A number of marquee American institutions have campuses in Qatar, and Dubai is trying to mimic it's success. Qatar has developed a mini American academic village over there, known as Education City. They choose you based on your "top producing (definition varies) programs". For instance, Carnegie Mellon covers business, Cornell has branch of their medical college there, and Texas A&M covers the engineering. I would love to see HBCUs get together and put together a proposal to showcase our programs and get into Education City or the new development in Dubai.

My mentor went over for about two months in 2010 helped them work out the student affairs and housing portion. They pay really well for consulting or for working over there period :) I still hate I turned down that internship in grad school, but my folks were not fans of sending me overseas. The pay regardless of the position is great and not taxed to a certain amount, plus they cover your housing and utility needs, so you are basically saving untaxed money for a few years. In addition, you get two flights a year back to the states for two weeks at a time. That does not tap into your vacation days. A guy I went to grad school with works for Carnegie Mellon at Qatar and loves it. We were supposed to do our internships together SMH. One of the few things I look back on and regret, but everything happens for a reason I guess.

Hey TSUgirl may I ask what are you getting your degree in??

Yeah, I got blocked from going to China in undergrad by my football coaches and I still get a little upset. Going to China would have been way more beneficial than those spring drills proved to be in the long run.

Hey TSUgirl may I ask what are you getting your degree in??

My Masters from A&M (the degree I was referring to above) is in higher education with an emphasis in student affairs. The doctorate I am working on now at the U of A is in higher education administration, but I am creating an emphasis in policy so I can teach and/or do research (definitely not full-time in the near future) and do policy work in the long run while still working in administration at a university or a non-profit. I am currently fundraising for a college foundation.

My Masters from A&M (the degree I was referring to above) is in higher education with an emphasis in student affairs. The doctorate I am working on now at the U of A is in higher education administration, but I am creating an emphasis in policy so I can teach and/or do research (definitely not full-time in the near future) and do policy work in the long run while still working in administration at a university or a non-profit. I am currently fundraising for a college foundation.

Are you coming to DC for the HBCU Conference?

I have been to the NAFEO Conference a few times, but have yet to go to the White House Initiative on HBCUs Conference (I think that is the one you are referring to). I hope to make it down one September in the near future though, even if I have to pay my own way. Heard it was a great conference. I will be back in DC for a fundraising related conference in November though.

I have been to the NAFEO Conference a few times, but have yet to go to the White House Initiative on HBCUs Conference (I think that is the one you are referring to). I hope to make it down one September in the near future though, even if I have to pay my own way. Heard it was a great conference. I will be back in DC for a fundraising related conference in November though.

Yes that is the one that I am talking about. I will be working the conference this year.

Back