Is the Quality of SWAC Football Coaching subpar?

Earle

Why is it that other FCS schools, and especially predominantly white ones, usually kick our tails? Is it our coaching quality, the quality of our athletes, or both? If the problem is the quality of our athletes, why are FCS white schools able to out-recruit HBCUs when the facilities and budgets of those schools are comparable at best? As to coaching, it does appear to me that athletes at white schools are better trained at knowing the "small details" and the "little things" about the game that can sometimes make big differences. Also, their athletes appear to be bigger and stronger.

Last edited:
Well, for starters, I think we as alumni/fans/supporters give our coaches too much leeway when it comes to OOC FCS Play. If an FCS is playing another FCS, I expect you to win, period. Don't come back with excuses.

If we want to beat these FCS Schools, we have to start holding coaches more accountable for games they SHOULD win. If you are playing a Bethune, Howard, or FAMU I expect you to treat it like a SWAC Game. Life and Death.

If you are playing a McNeese, SE Louisiana, Nicholls State, Sam Houston State, etc. I expect a victory. No Excuses.

We HOPE too much instead of EXPECT (if you get my drift).

BTW Earle, take money completely out of the equation because this how a lot of posters will try to twist your thread.

How many white kids dream of play it in the SWAC? Now how many Asians, Black kids, Latinos dream about playing in the SWAC?

The administrators hire the coaches.

Case in point? Jackson State. Bad administrative decision to hire Jackson. Same way with A&M and Willie Hayes in basketball, and allowing Jones to run our football program into the ground. I'll be glad to see the day when the majority of SWAC ADs come from (or experienced) life in other conferences.

Alcorn is showing the rest of us how to climb out of the barrel. Problem is, will the other schools listen?

The administrators decide what to do with funding programs, hiring coaches, firing coaches, NOT hiring coaches, NOT firing coaches...

If your University's athletic programs are swimming in the mud, don't just point the finger at the coaches. Hold those ADs, President's and VPs accountable.

As the saying goes, "everything starts at the top and rolls downhill."

I personal think at least in the last 2-3 years the coaching has improved. I also see that schools like southern,grumbling and alcorn have been really aggressive as far as recruting not only black kids but all kids.

The administrators decide what to do with funding programs, hiring coaches, firing coaches, NOT hiring coaches, NOT firing coaches...

If your University's athletic programs are swimming in the mud, don't just point the finger at the coaches. Hold those ADs, President's and VPs accountable.

So very true!!!

Case in point? Jackson State. Bad administrative decision to hire Jackson. Same way with A&M and Willie Hayes in basketball, and allowing Jones to run our football program into the ground. I'll be glad to see the day when the majority of SWAC ADs come from (or experienced) life in other conferences.

Alcorn is showing the rest of us how to climb out of the barrel. Problem is, will the other schools listen?
Don't speak for JSU. Honestly all you know about JSU hiring Jackson is all the shit they talk on here. Just speak for A&M. Jackson is not a bad hire.

Very true!

But See...Here is the Problem With The Alcorn Way:

Yes, Alcorn is climbing out of the barrel but can Alcorn actually get and STAY OUT of the barrel? THAT IS THE KEY.

Outside of SWAC Play, what has Alcorn really done to improve the Brand of the Conference? Have they beaten an OOC FCS Program?

Again, we give too much leeway when it comes to OOC FCS Play when we are strictly talking the Game of Football itself.

In sports, you ALWAYS need to Improve. If You Don't, You are Bound To Fail In Sports Guaranteed. See, OOC FCS games show you who you really are as a football team.

Why I want Tn State on the Schedule: They are an HBCU to have actually won an FCS Playoff game within the last 5 years. When you can beat TN State consistently, you can then move on to bigger fish (which most WON'T do due to fear of being exposed as a football team).

You sound very dumb bruh, AGAIN JACKSON WAS UP FOR HIRING BEFORE COMEGY CAME TO JACKSON STATE, H JACKSON REMOVED HIM SELF FROM THE LIST OF 3 FINALIST BEFORE COMEGY CAME TO JSU AND COMEGY CAME WITH A COMPLETE STAFF FROM TUSKEGEE WHOM RAN THE STATE OF AL FOR HIS YEARS AGAINST HBCU'S! Comegy was 6-5 could have been 8-3 1st year same as for JACKSON 5-7 could have been 8-4! JUST INCASE YO SLOW AZZ NEED THE LINK HERE YOU GO http://www.anygivensaturday.com/archive/index.php/t-5931.html

Jackson was a significant downgrade from Comegy. The story is not yet finished, but I'm not going to rob you of your right to know the truth by telling lies.

ok so if H Jackson wins all his SWAC games this year what are you going to say! Even if he wins the East! make sure to eat this post for me. lol

ok so if H Jackson wins all his SWAC games this year what are you going to say! Even if he wins the East! make sure to eat this post for me. lol

Typical JSU poster. All emotion, very little logic.

Comegy came to JSU with a winning pedigree as a head coach and had JSU in the title hunt nearly every season.

How many conference titles does Harold Jackson own? What was his head coaching pedigree prior to arriving to JSU?

Since you're so confident in a guy who was hired off his couch, lets make an avatar bet. If JSU wins all their SWAC games (including the championship), I`ll change my avatar to a JSU helmet. If they FAIL to do so, you have to change yours to an AAMU helmet.

You man enough to take that bet?

Why is it that other FCS schools, and especially predominantly white ones, usually kick our tails? Is it our coaching quality, the quality of our athletes, or both? If the problem is the quality of our athletes, why are FCS white schools able to out-recruit HBCUs when the facilities and budgets of those schools are comparable at best? As to coaching, it does appear to me that athletes at white schools are better trained at knowing the "small details" and the "little things" about the game that can sometimes make big differences. Also, their athletes appear to be bigger and stronger.
Maybe with the Louisiana FCS schools, but definitely not with the "big boys" of FCS football. A lot of the issues are simply in the trenches.

Typical JSU poster. All emotion, very little logic.

Comegy came to JSU with a winning pedigree as a head coach and had JSU in the title hunt nearly every season.

How many conference titles does Harold Jackson own? What was his head coaching pedigree prior to arriving to JSU?

Since you're so confident in a guy who was hired off his couch, lets make an avatar bet. If JSU wins all their SWAC games (including the championship), I`ll change my avatar to a JSU helmet. If they FAIL to do so, you have to change yours to an AAMU helmet.

You man enough to take that bet?

Yall smalltime! I said to say again Worry about AAMU who has not won anything lately even on JSU down year..... you should really Love your school ( circus) more

A lot of our issues would go away for good if alumni & supporters would simply remove the fan shades and see things as they are, rather than how they want them to be.

Regarding the actual coaching, Grambling, SU Alcorn & AAMU are moving in the right direction. I`d even throw ASU in that category if Jenkins keeps his nose clean.

Back