Is Hillman Really Howard or Hampton? Whitley Settles the Score

Tiger1

giphy-67.gif

http://tvone.tv/40416/is-hillman-really-howard-or-hampton-whitley-settles-the-score/

Click here to visit HBCUSportsStore
Hillman had a law school and medical school like Howard. It was located in Virginia and not in a major city like Hampton. I was a HUGE fan of the show but I've rarely heard Howard referenced which led me to believe that Hillman and Howard were one in the same. During the show, Hillman played Hampton in baseball and football. Mission College never did anything for me but growing up, I always wanted to go to Hillman, LOL

I believe Hillman was a private school in some rural place in Virginia. Whitley Gilbert grew up in Richmond, VA where her daddy was a judge. Her grandfather who graduated from Hillman was the first Black judge in Madison County, VA, which is actually a redneck county west of Richmond near the Shenandoah Valley. The only private HBCU in a rural town in Virginia during the time the show aired was the now defunct St. Paul College in Lawrenceville, VA, but it didn't have a medical school or a law school.

Last edited:
Maaaan I loved that show. Debbie Allen's dad was my room mate at PV's dentist and we used to see her brother Hugh all the time, he and my roomie were both Kappas and grew around each other, he played the big country dude on Different World, made me love the shows even more knowing him, that joker loved zooming around Houston in that Toyota Supra LOL. My roomie should have been on that show, he loved his matching Izod socks, Izod shirts and Penny Loafers LOL

In your opinion, was Hillman based on Hampton or Howard University?
Jasmine Guy:
I think it was a mash-up of Hampton, Howard, Spelman and Morehouse. We filmed exteriors at Morehouse and Spelman, Debbie Allen attended Howard and I think Hampton was represented in the show as well.

it was all the schools mentioned

I believe Debbie Allen took stuff from every HBCU. Even the background cast were from HBCUs. I remember watching the show and seeing a former Dancing Doll and Miss Southern always standing in the background. I believe some Alpha from Southern was also always in the background. Even something as simple as a book cover was from a HBCU . The book cover Dwayne Wayne used in his calculus class was a SU book cover from one of SU's book stores. I remember watching the show and seeing that same damn book cover I used to use on my calculus book. I believe the show touched the hearts of everyone who attended a HBCU in the 80's and the 90's. IMO, Debbie Allen intentionally did this which was quite effective in capturing a large audience of HBCU graduates.

In the original series it is much noticeable, but on the cover is the SU's Seal that displays a momma pelican feeding her three baby pelicans, basically a modified version of the State of Louisiana Seal.

ih7315.jpg

southern_4097.jpg

Last edited:
Maaaan I loved that show. Debbie Allen's dad was my room mate at PV's dentist and we used to see her brother Hugh all the time, he and my roomie were both Kappas and grew around each other, he played the big country dude on Different World, made me love the shows even more knowing him, that joker loved zooming around Houston in that Toyota Supra LOL. My roomie should have been on that show, he loved his matching Izod socks, Izod shirts and Penny Loafers LOL

Took me back for a minute lol. Interesting days back then.

And when School Daze came out.... man oh man oh man. Solid.

1000w

Back