Is Alcorn vs. SU now considered a legit HBCU Rivalry?

Not a rivalry from SU stand point. It has been more of an important game the last several years of course. But this game has always drawn well and been a friendly game of folks having a good time between fan bases. Now for us Jags it has become more of a focal point to win as the results have been in Alcorn's favor way too long for us Jags liking. But our rivals still remain FAMU, JSU and Gram. But the Alcorn and PV games have been more on the radar now as these games have more meaning. Alcorn fans are of course more vocal than have been in a long time. So that makes for more trash talking than it was in the past. Other than that. I don't know any SU alum that considers Alcorn a rival. We hate the snakes, JSU and Gram is a sibling rivalry so to speak.

Alcorn vs SU is a big game. But like I said. It has traditionally been a crowd friendly game.

I've always thought so. Since about 2002 or 2003.

03 ruined our perfect season. LOL.

Big game or always an interesting game with a good turnout. Even back to the 80s. But our fans just don't see it as a rivalry. Now they are tired of losing to them mofos. LOL.

I really love the pick this week as no one gives our Braves a chance to win this game. My daughter graduated from SU and she is not even talking with me this week. We are finally getting healthy again should make for a very good game on Saturday.

Alcorn vs. SU = SU vs. FAMU

Hell no. Man Jags hate the snakes. And their fan base is like ours. Nasty!! Even though they have fallen off over there in Tally Ho. That rivalry is intense. Always has been. Let FAMU get on SU's schedule now that we are on the 7 game mandate going forward.

No comparison. It was the longest running out of conference rivalry for years. Obviously you were not on the old SWAC page when Cholly and nem were here. It was going down.

Don't get it twisted. These games between SU and Alcorn are nice. But our fan base does not hate Alcorn. If we had lost to FAMU 5 times in a row. Folks would be even more beside themselves than we are losing to Alcorn. Yall fans just aint like FAMU fans. Let SU have to take a trip to Tally Ho this weekend instead of Lorman. It would be crazy.

Out of all of the SWAC opponents SU has faced, (To me) I think this match up has had the better moments (game-wise)

We have had some great and I mean great games against this school...

93...Sean Wallace vs McNair and 94, McNair late bomb at the end and then we had a chance with like 16 secs to win it...and we didn't....(I think I cried afterwards as a toddler) LOL

The goal-line stand in A.W., I wanna say in 05 or 06 maybe..and the year Stump had they asses beat and we didn't make the TD or 2 pt conversion...whatever it was...and yea that 03 game..

Hell that game in A.W. for H.C. 2014....that was a good game..

Again out of all the teams we've played in the SWAC, I think this match-up has far out been more competitive than other teams we've faced

Hey Braveheart. Point in case. Even though Alcorn has owned SU these last few years especially. Notice the banter between schools is pretty civil. Had Famu been beating us like that. Man it would on in the war of words. Man I miss the old TSPN. Rattler MAC, Cholly, others. They would have found their way back over here just to fugg with us Jags.

Does Alcorn vs J-State = Alcorn vs. grambling?
Those 2 games were once rivals. Most on this board don't remember the Red River Classic in Shreveport.
Yeah I have heard that Alcorn vs GSU was a strong rivalry back in the day. I think Alcorn vs SU is strong because of the closeness of the two school and in the past how well each school traveled to the opposing campus. I would still call it a rivalry being that the teams have basically been evenly match through the years. It may not be the heated or even hated rivarly as others though.

I really love the pick this week as no one gives our Braves a chance to win this game. My daughter graduated from SU and she is not even talking with me this week. We are finally getting healthy again should make for a very good game on Saturday.

Which picks are those? I know I'm having a headache with my picks this week because there aretwo games that could actually be SWAC game of the week which are going to have a huge impact on the final outcome of four teams season.

Sounds like somebody thirsty for attention

That would be me. :D lol

I'mma need for y'all Jags to rededicate attention to your longest playing IC adversary. ::read:: We're trying to do out part to uphold some type of rivalry since we 2 are the eldest in the SWAC. Come on to Blackshear and try to put that L on us in our new diggs lol.

It may not be a heated rivalry but it's a big game each year. Like it has been said, this rivalry has produced BIG moments but all in all there's no hate involved at all. That's why it's not on that level with the other games the hate factor isn't up there like the rest of the matchups.

I would consider SU vs Alcorn a rivalry tho. There is a lot of history there and the games are well attended.

Back