Int'l League suspends Young for hitting ump with bat

Journalist

Listen up maggots! And that's an order!
ST. PETERSBURG, Fla. (AP) ? Tampa Bay prospect Delmon Young was suspended for 50 games without pay by the International League on Tuesday for throwing a bat that hit a replacement umpire in the chest.
The 20-year-old Young is considered one of the best players in the minors and the brother of Detroit star Dmitri Young.
The suspension is retroactive to April 27, the day after Young tossed his bat in a Triple-A game while playing for Durham. The outfielder has agreed to perform at least 50 hours of community service, and can play again on June 19.
The IL issued an indefinite suspension following the incident at Pawtucket, R.I. The umpire, filling in for striking minor league umps, was not injured.

He should have gotten more than that. I don't know what's wrong with these kids today. Guarunteed stardom and does some dumb sh@t like that. :smh:

they used to call me Delmon Young
C_1_romandy25_180401_0225.jpg

But now you can call me Bat-Man!!!!

But seriously....Tampa should be kicking themselves in the arse by picking this cat of Rickie Weeks in the 2003 amateur draft.

Think about it..Rickie's been in The Show for a whole year now...this dude hasn't even gotten in The Show yet.

That ought to tell you something right there... Don't come and say "Tampa got Carl Crawford". If Young's your franchise..you make room for him in The Show.

You cant compare the two in that respect..... Tampa Bay is taking their time with this major-major talent, head-case.....

Noone is a bigger Rickie fan than I, but have you seen this kids numbers? Unbelievable numbers....

This kid will have to live with the stigma of throwning that bat, and a couple of other instances, for the rest of his career.....

Anonymous said:
You cant compare the two in that respect..... Tampa Bay is taking their time with this major-major talent, head-case.....

Noone is a bigger Rickie fan than I, but have you seen this kids numbers? Unbelievable numbers....

This kid will have to live with the stigma of throwning that bat, and a couple of other instances, for the rest of his career.....

I've seen his numbers too, but this kid to me seems like he got some Milton Bradley/Carl Everett in him. Maybe he needs some anger managment or some of that woosah isht. You can't build your franchise on a head-case, especially if your franchise is in the AL East

Since I was born here and still here when the DRays were finally born, please let me tell you that the biggest problem in the history of the organization has been rushing young talent to the bigs - and the majority of that was pitching. Remember, Weeks played at SU and Young only played HS ball. Weeks had years experience at a higher level and better coaching than Young. Weeks should be and is in the show before Young.

BJ Upton is still in the minors...great bat, great legs, good glove, but can't find first base from shortstop and has publicly refused to switch positions when asked. Toe Nash was a convict...and Josh Hamilton got strung out on pain killers and is now an addict that can't get out of his own way.

Delmon Young has DEMANDED to be called up. Meanwhile, he is being outplayed at Durham by a local Tampa kid named Elijah Dukes who is also a head case.

Nope. Leave them all in the minors. Upton is the oldest of them at 21. There is no rush. Young should be suspended by the DRays for the remainder of the year. Send him a message. His older brother sure did.

yall are funny. is a convict for sure, bat man...lol......

he should have gotten a longer suspension. sit that kid down. he got into trouble in montgomery last year (i'm sure some here think that the press at the advertiser were just trying to shame him b/c he is black) for bumping an ump. he has got to get it together. talented or not, weekes has to be looking really good to those in tampa.

Butch Wms. said:
dacontinent,

Please expound on the last sentence of your last post.Something about his brother sending him a message.......

Remember that Elijah Dukes is a local Tampa product who (out)plays with Delmon in Durham. So, we locals get information that doesn't hit the mainstream media. Word around the hood is that one of the first calls that Delmon made was to Dmitri to tell him what happened...and Dmitri ripped him a new one and then refused to take his calls for several days.

dacontinent said:
BJ Upton is still in the minors...great bat, great legs, good glove, but can't find first base from shortstop and has publicly refused to switch positions when asked. Toe Nash was a convict...and Josh Hamilton got strung out on pain killers and is now an addict that can't get out of his own way.

One question. Who would name their kid, Toe?

Blacknbengal said:
One question. Who would name their kid, Toe?

um...beans you know that's a nickname...

But this dude is a legend when it comes to semipro baseball down in the river parishes..(Donaldsonville, Sorrento, Gonzales, Garyville, yaddah yaddah)

dude only has a 7th grade education and Hotrod Williams basically sponsored the dude into a lot of teams' tryouts..

too bad he had to go do the R. Kelly thing..

Back